Terms of Service and Rules
By using the services provided by our website, you agree to be bound by the Terms and Rules specified in this document at all times. If you are unable to comply with our Terms and Rules at any time, please discontinue use of all services provided by Kinmunity.
Kinmunity is an online community primarily intended for individuals who identify as otherkin (also including therianthropes, vampires, energy workers, the other-hearted, and others with non-human identities). We aim to provide a safe-place for all individuals with non-human identities. We are NOT a gaming, roleplay, or fantasy website.
Kinmunity is based in the United States of America, and all users are expected to follow applicable laws when using the site.
In order to be eligible to register on Kinmunity, you must be at least thirteen years old and not already have an account (we only permit one account per physical body).
Upon registration, perspective members' IP and email addresses are checked against third party security providers in order to prevent registrations from spammers and known abusers. By registering on Kinmunity, you consent to such checks and understand that you must also confirm the validity of your email address by clicking an activation link before your account is activated.
Members of the media are not permitted to register without prior consent from the administration of Kinmunity; this consent may be requested by filling out our media request form.
While our community is primarily intended for otherkin, therianthropes, and vampires; we do permit non-kin to register, provided that they identify themselves as "human/non-kin" clearly on their profile.
For security reasons and in order to ensure compliance with our Terms and Rules, all content submitted to Kinmunity is logged. Passwords, financial data, and other information of a sensitive nature should never be submitted through private or instant messages. While there is no facility for staff members to view private or instant messages, they are stored in our database as plain-text (like any other forum). Administrators may access such logs if they are required in order to respond to a valid subpoena or court order, as well as to ensure compliance with the Terms and Rules. Users can also report abusive communications using the report system, which makes them available for viewing by our staff.
- We request that members use proper English on Kinmunity. This includes making a best-effort attempt to spell properly and observe the rules of grammar. While we do not expect our users to have a degree in English literature, excessive "chat speak" is not permitted.
- Except in designated areas, content submitted to Kinmunity should be appropriate for all audiences, including children as young as thirteen. Additionally, we discourage excessive swearing or cursing outside of designated areas - such language does nothing to enhance or enrich conversation.
- Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Unless you have evidence to back them up, please refrain from making grandiose or outrageous claims on Kinmunity. This includes claiming to have the ability to physically shift, or claims of special “powers.“ Making such claims does nothing but harm your credibility in the community; nobody thinks you're special or cool by making them.
- Kinmunity takes privacy very seriously. It is forbidden for members to post personally identifying information about another person, even if that person is not a member of Kinmunity. Private messages and instant messages are considered private conversations and they should never be posted publicly or shared with anyone other than a Kinmunity staff member without consent from both parties. Content which requires registration and login to access should not be reproduced or made available to users who do not have the appropriate credentials to access it themselves.
- Please be respectful to all cultures, beliefs, and ideas. It is perfectly okay for two people to have conflicting ideas, values, beliefs, and thoughts. It is not okay if one person tries to force their way of life on another.
- Please try and keep discussions relevant to the topic at hand. Pay attention to which section of the site or thread you are in, and ensure your posts contribute to the topic that is being discussed. In other words, please stay on-topic.
- Honesty and integrity are highly valued on Kinmunity, Please be yourself and don't falsify any information about you. It is better to not provide information than it is to lie about it.
- Please follow the direction of our staff members at all times. If a staff member requests that you do something, their request holds as much weight as these terms and rules do. If you feel a staff member is acting inappropriately, contact a member of the administration team.
- If another member violates these rules, please use the “report“ function to report the offending content or member. Do not try to handle the issue yourself, that's what our staff are here for.
- Have fun. That's what the site is about!
When posting in an online community, users are expected to follow an unwritten code of etiquette. The purpose of this section is to write that code out so that it's more obvious and plain. While these guidelines are written with Kinmunity in mind, they apply to all forums in a general sense.
- Please read the Terms and Rules and the Policies & Guidelines before submitting content to Kinmunity.
- Please read the Help Documents before requesting help from a staff member.
- Before posting a thread, please search the forums to see if somebody else has already submitted a thread regarding the topic you wish to discuss. If a thread exists, consider posting in it instead of starting a new one.
- Please read all of the sticky policy threads within a given board before posting in it; some sections have their own unique rules.
- When creating a thread, please use a meaningful title that accurately depicts what your thread is about. Your thread's message should also be meaningful and descriptive; it sets the tone for the conversation to follow.
- When posting a reply, please ensure it actually contributes to the topic being discussed. You should stay on topic, and you should avoid useless one-word or non-contributing replies.
- Please do not use excessive formatting (bold, italics, colors, etc.) in your posts. It makes them harder to read and does not enhance their content.
- Please use proper Spelling and Grammar in your posts. This makes them easier to understand for all members.
- Please do not double post (post two replies back to back in the same thread) or cross post (post a thread in multiple locations); this just annoys others and fragments conversations.
- Please do not use all caps or multiple exclaimation points in your posts.
- Be civil to all members. If you have a disagreement with somebody, take it to private message and don't disrupt a topic of discussion over it.
- Be kind and helpful to new users, do not mock or harass them for being new.
- We absolutely do not allow 'preaching' on Kinmunity. This means that we do not allow people of any religion, spirituality, faith, or belief to attempt to force their beliefs upon others. We also do not allow for any evangelism or allow users to attempt convert others to their own belief system. We consider it rude and disrespectful to behave in this way.
- In order to keep things on neutral grounds on Kinmunity, we ask that members do not use pack, group, or other rankings while on the site. On a similar notion, all pack/pride/clan/etc related discussions should be kept to an absolute minimum. If you feel you must discuss your pack/clan/whatever affiliation, you may do it in the "About Me" section of your profile only. You are also permitted to mark your group meetup location in KinSpots, but those two scenarios should be the only time such things are mentioned.
- Respect and obey the directions of our staff team at all times.
Personal profiles should only contain content suitable for general audiences. By default, profiles are public. Users can edit their privacy settings for more control over who can see their profile. Joke or Parody profiles are not permitted.
The Rating System
Kinmunity has a post rating system, which this page describes in detail. The purpose of this system is to reward members who post high-quality content, as to allow the community to "self-moderate". This system, in combination with our report system, also helps keep Kinmunity safe from spammers, trolls, and other bad actors. In order to keep things fair and to prevent misuse of this system, the following guidelines should be observed at all times when using our rating system. Those who abuse the rating system and fail to follow these guidelines can have their access to it revoked by a staff member.
- Rate posts, not users! - When selecting a rating for a post or piece of content, you should base your rating only on the particular piece of content you're applying it to. Do not use the rating system to harass or "get back at" users you have personal disputes with.
- Don't ask for ratings! - Don't ask for people to "like", "love", or otherwise up-vote or down-vote your post for any reason. Do not use the rating system as a polling system, we have an actual poll feature for that.
- Don't harass raters! - If you've been given a rating you disagree with on a particular piece of content you posted, do not act in an abusive matter to the person who gave it to you. Instead, contact a staff member if it violates our Terms and Rules or any of our Policies & Guidelines. NEVER PM or IM somebody asking them to change their rating.
- Rate appropriately! - You'll want to read this page so that you understand what each rating means. You are free to "dislike" a post you disagree with, for example, but the "rubbish" rating is reserved exclusively for spam and troll posts.
If somebody is abusing the rating system, or deliberately using it for harassment purposes, please do not hesitate to contact a staff member. On the same token, if you abuse the rating system or engage in "reputation wars" with others, you can also face having your ability to use the system revoked.
Our library, like the rest of our site, contains content submitted by members of Kinmunity. While we make a best effort attempt to screen both articles and individuals who are permitted to submit them, we do not vouch for the accuracy or completeness of library articles.
Kinmunity provides a media center to its users. The media center allows users to submit artwork, photographs, and digital videos to the site. All content submitted to the media center must be suitable for all audiences over the age of thirteen. It is forbidden to submit items containing: pornography, nudity, excessive violence, or hate speech. We also insist that all work submitted to the media center be your own original content. You may not submit copyrighted material to the media center without owning the content or having written permission from the rights holder.
Avatars & Signatures
We require that avatars on Kinmunity be rated for general audiences. It is forbidden to use an avatar which falsely identifies you as a staff member, banned user, VIP, or elder of Kinmunity. Avatars which are too big will be automatically resized by our system.
As an absolute maximum, signatures can consist of eight lines. The combined maximum size of all signature images is 480x100 pixels. By default, users will only be permitted unformatted signatures consisting of three lines of 350 characters, 0 links, 0 images, 2 smileys, and a font size of 3 - signature upgrades can be purchased with bones.
Chat & IM
There is an instant messaging bar located at the bottom of each page on our site that is available for all users. This system will allow users to instant message anybody that they “follow on Kinmunity. Users are expected to follow all rules when sending instant messages to others. If a user is violating any of the rules, you can report them by clicking the gear icon towards the top right of a conversation and then clicking the “Report Spam/Abuse button. You should promptly block the user after submitting a report. Users who repeatedly abuse this system will be denied access to it.
Kinmunity provides a live chatroom for users to communicate with each other in real-time. Although the chatroom is moderated, our staff are not able to screen messages in the chatroom before they are posted. Users who repeatedly violate our rules in the chatroom will be denied access to it.
Kinmunity provides a Discord server for our users to communicate with each using text and voice, even when they're not logged into the site. Users are expected to follow our Terms and Rules while using our Discord server, as well as the rules specific to the server. Although the channels are moderated, our staff are not able to screen messages in the channels before they are posted. Users who repeatedly violate our rules in the Discord server will be denied access to it.
Users on Kinmunity are provided a personal blog. Users have full control over what they post in their blog, and the rules are a bit relaxed when dealing with personal blogs. With this in mind, blogs should never contain pornographic, illegal, or harassing content.
Kinmunity provides a feature to our members called KinSpots. KinSpots allow members to find otherkin in their area. Users have the option of providing a specific address, or a generic postal code as a KinSpot. This feature is only available to users eighteen years of age or older. KinSpots are viewable to the public, so use discretion upon submitting them.
KinCash & Trophies
Kinmunity uses a system called KinCash in order to reward members who contribute to the site. This system awards a virtual currency, called bones, when users perform certain actions (posting, replying, etc). It is against the rules to knowingly cheat the system to artificially receive bones from the KinCash system. Users who violate this rule will be fined bones. Users who repeatedly violate this rule will lose the ability to earn and spend bones.
Users receive trophies once they complete certain achievements on Kinmunity. Trophies each have a point value assigned to them, and users receive titles based on their trophy points. It is against the rules to knowingly cheat the system to earn trophy points. Users will permanently lose trophies earned by cheating.
Purchases & Donations
All purchases made on Kinmunity (including account upgrades, purchasing KinCash, etc.) are considered to be donations to assist with the upkeep of the site and are non-refundable in any circumstance. Users who violate this policy by submitting fraudulent reports to their bank or our payment processor are subject to permanent removal from our community.
Kinmunity does not take action against its users for incidents that do not occur on kinmunity.com and is not responsible for their off-site behavior, except for in the following situations:
- when a user publishes defamatory, malicious, or untrue information regarding kinmunity.com
- when a user is convicted or known to have commited any of the following crimes:
- any offense where sex offender registration is required, or would be required if the crime were commited in the United States.
- stalking, cyberstalking, or crimes against privacy.
- when an elder or staff member behaves in a way that is unacceptable for their position, when it brings unfavorable attention to kinmunity.com
In these rare circumstances, Kinmunity is authorized to take action in order to protect its reputation and its users.
Moderation Actions & Appeals
Users have the right to know why a certain moderation action was taken against them unless explaining the reason puts another individual's privacy at risk. Our staff will make a best-effort attempt at providing a descriptive reason to the for any moderation action to the individual(s) the action effects. If a specific reason is not provided, you may request one by submitting an email to this address.
Users have the right to appeal an action taken against them by a staff member to a member of the administration team. Appeals must be submitted by the individual effected by an action, and appeals made by a third party will not be accepted. Appeals may be submitted via email to this address.
Whilst we attempt to edit or remove any messages containing inappropriate, sexually orientated, abusive, hateful, slanderous, or threatening material that could be considered invasive of a persons privacy, or which otherwise violate any kind of law or our Terms and Rules, it is impossible for us to review every piece of content posted on Kinmunity. For this reason you acknowledge that all messages posted on Kinmunity express the views and opinions of the original message author and not necessarily the views of our administration or our staff. Therefore we take no responsibility and cannot be held liable for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy and completeness of every message.
You agree that we have the ability and right to remove, edit, or lock any account or content at any time should it be seen fit. We reserve the right to refuse service to anybody for any reason we see as appropriate. You also agree that any information you enter on Kinmunity stored in a database, and that cookies are stored on your computer to save your login information.
Any information you provide on Kinmunity will not be disclosed to any third party without your complete consent, although the staff cannot be held liable for any hacking attempt in which your data is compromised.
We reserve the right to change these terms without notice at any time, although we will always make our best effort to notify users of any changes. If you have any questions regarding these terms, please feel free to contact us.