12017 HE (Holocene Calendar) | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

12017 HE (Holocene Calendar)

Discussion in 'Science, Math, & Technology' started by Farkas, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Farkas

Farkas Pseudo-Son of Awesome, The Wolf on Stilts
    Elder VIP 100% Gamer Blood

Bones:
    Ƀ27,749.10
    Gold Werewolf CoinFanciful UnicornVoice KeyGold Fox CoinWuffyRainbow KitsuneBlue Wolf
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :idontcare:
    So I dunno how many people have heard of this, but it's come into light recently because of the youtube channel Kurzgesagt - In A Nutshell (great channel, if you haven't heard of them). So recently, Kurzgesagt came out with a video titled A New History for Humanity - The Human Era. It's a great video talking about the Holocene Calendar. If you don't know what this is, watch the video, it's really quite interesting.
    So I figured I would make a thread about this. I've seen some discussion about this calendar already; Many people are for it, many are against it, all for various reasons. I myself am for this calendar, as it highlights more of humanity's achievements and begins our year system on a significant date for humanity as a whole (the first stone structure, leading the way to cities and whatnot) rather than a significant date for some (the death of Jesus Christ). Many people say they're all for this, as it's based on humanity rather than religion. Others say that picking this structure's carbon-dated creation year is just another arbitrary number, and that at this point, why not just go with an Earth Era calendar (from when Earth was formed).
    As someone who's in support of this calendar but doesn't really care either way, I'd like to hear everybody's thoughts on it. Try to spark some discussion about it, talk pros and cons, reasons for or against it, etc.
     Jake  

• Like Like x 1
  2. Amare

Amare Six Wings Of Fluff
    VIP

Bones:
    Ƀ31,895.24
    Title Change ElixirGold VIP - One Year SubscriptionPurple Rogue
    Primary Identity:
    Angelic
    As someone who has had to code too many time converters for dealing with astronomical time (UTC, GMT, MJD, unix-time, etc..) EEP! Not another date format, noooooo! :) Sorry, reflexive response...

3. CheshireSmile

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ203.38
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    I like it in concept. The idea behind it, and it eliminates the unnecessary use of negative numbers (calling something bce is basically saying "year -23" imo).

Practically, there's no functional issues with the current calendar (that wouldn't be inherited by the Holocene calendar anyway).

I'm all for acknowledgement of the true breadth and achievements of human history, but I don't see this being useful outside of personal use and some specific functions in archeology.

4. kiror

kiror Fuzzy Mirror
    Staff Member Deputy Admin

Bones:
    Ƀ376.92
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    I liked the idea except by one detail: lots of systems that aren't touched for years would simply making them stopping working or making other systems glitch. This change can seem to be inoffensive, but there are lots implications in standards.

By the point we are, it's cheaper keeping this nonsense calendar based on a religious dogma than changing into a better model.

If you ask me if this thing of having months with 30 or 31 days and February as it is, I'd recommend a calendar with 13 months of 28 days (the number of the day would always tell the day of the week), totalizing 364 days; the 365th day is out of the calendar and it's considered a holiday - leap years would have that holiday doubled.

Another thing that bothers me if that September means 7 but is the 9th month, October means 8 but is the 10th month, November means 9 but is the 11th month and December means 10 but is the 12th month. Changing the name of the months could make the calendar easier less hard to understand.

I could suggest lots of changes in calendars, but they are adopted as an standard... but XKCD have already done a comic about them:
    [​IMG]

5. Khar

Khar Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ626.32
    Shark
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    Mood:
    :winkytongue:
    I always find the calendars of different cultures and how they format things really interesting. Time and how we measure it is so weird! Like, the Romans in the Republic didn't number the years, they wen't by who was consul that year. It was "the year Fred and Mack were consul" or whatever. Crazy! And then Julius Caesar had to go and add July and August, effectively pushing the numbered months two back and taking the meaning out of their names, as was mentioned.

Anyway, while I think this calendar makes a lot of sense and would be nice, adopting new systems that everyone adheres to is really hard, and I agree with others that it'd be impractical. There's already a lot of people who are replacing BC/AD with BCE/CE to remove the religious connotation. The "year 0" and everything are still the same, it's just a matter of language. Instead of "before Christ" and "anno domini" (year of the lord), it's just "before common era" and "common era," nice and plain.

6. kiror

kiror Fuzzy Mirror
    Staff Member Deputy Admin

Bones:
    Ƀ376.92
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    When Was Jesus Born? | Birth of Jesus Christ
    I guess it's interesting to remember that Christ wasn't born in year 1 AD, but somewhere between 6 BC and 4 BC, but it seems nobody will change the counter of years just to fix that.