3D Printers | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

3D Printers

Discussion in 'Science, Math, & Technology' started by Emc2, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Emc2

Emc2 Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.15
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Who else thinks that 3D printers are the coolest invention of the 21st Century? What's the first thing you'd print if you had free access to one? Know any cool articles/videos about things made with 3D printers?

• Like Like x 4
  2. Imber

Imber Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ7.00
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    I think they are awesome. I would probably attempt to print money with one, just because I am broke. Haha jkjk.

In reality, it would be cool to try to print a model of my dragon self. I am a vain creature and it would make me happy I think.

3. Silver Winter

Silver Winter Burned in Ice, Rises from the Ashes
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ173.81
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    10/10 would make more jewelry for my hoard. I can just never seem to get enough! It would be so cool to be able to make any kind of jewelry I want and as much as I wanted just from printing it out. Wish I had a 3-D but they're so expensive...

4. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

Bones:
    Ƀ719.01
    CrowBarghest
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    I can't really think of anything that I would want to print for myself. Maybe some jewellery? Figurines?

I'm more excited about the medical applications of the technology. We are now able to print functional human organs. Reliance on people willing to be donors, and complications such as donor rejection could be a thing of the past if the technology continues to improve. It makes you wonder what could be next. Could entire limbs be printed for amputees? I hope I'm around long enough to find out!

5. Emc2

Emc2 Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.15
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    I think the coolest story I've heard is about how a medical team 3D printed a new sternum and bits of ribs for a man who had cancer. It was made to fit perfectly in his chest and is way better than what they used to use. Plus, 3D printing metal? Extremely awesome. @Silver Winter you could totally print an entire hoard of jewelry :3
    Here's the link to the article, doesn't go into graphic detail, which is nice. I haven't watched the attached videos, so I'm not sure what their content is like. @St Claire I love the idea of being able to print organs that wouldn't be rejected. Do you know of any articles about that? I'd love to read more.

If I had a 3D printer, I'd probably print a little skull or an animal statue. Or maybe a tiny me o^o

• Like Like x 2
  6. 2612

2612 Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ13.92
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    We actually have free access to a 3D printer here because of the program we're in at the university we go to! We haven't decided what we want to print out on it, but we're thinking of modelling/digitally sculpting a Skarmory for our brother (who's favorite Pokemon is Skarmory) with a squishy malleable material so he can have a Skarmory friend to play with! There's not that much Skarmory merchandise for him to choose from compared to other Pokemon he likes, so it would fix that.

- Quilava

• Like Like x 2
  7. Silver Winter

Silver Winter Burned in Ice, Rises from the Ashes
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ173.81
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    @Emc2 Yes! Thank you! That is so awesome!

8. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

Bones:
    Ƀ719.01
    CrowBarghest
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    Haha, sorry I can't link to any articles. I got my info from a show called Catalyst (a sort of scientific journalism show where they report on recent findings, talk to researchers about them, etc.). They mentioned using a person's stem cells to print organs that completely match their dna, drastically reducing the risk of rejection. I don't know if this is something they can currently do, or something that still needs more research, but it's exciting to think about regardless.

9. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p
    Staff Member Administrator

Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.66
    Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relaxed:
    I briefly had access to one, and I printed some plastic keys.

10. baopis

baopis Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ3.15
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    One of our not-important but favorite application for 3D printers has been around for a few years now: puzzle making! We love twisty puzzles (things like Rubik's cube and such) and have a medium-sized collection of them. A lot of puzzle makers are not 3D printing their puzzle pieces to assemble instead of having to wait for their puzzles to be either made by hand out of plastic molds and things like that that were home-made or to be mass-produced by a major puzzle/toy company of some kind.

One puzzle maker was able to make a twisty puzzle cube that's 17x17x17! It's called the "Over the Top" puzzle and it would not have been possible without 3D printing.

11. Diamond Dogs

Diamond Dogs Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ0.05
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    3D printed bone and organ matter interests us greatly. It gives us hope for the future of medical technology.

On the less mortal and more fun side of things, I've heard wind (hah) of the concept of 3D printers that are capable of printing food items, given that they have the right materials fed into them. That is honestly the greatest thing I've ever heard.

- JETSTREAM SAM

• Like Like x 2
  12. dreamsofadeerkin

dreamsofadeerkin Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Shadow Buck
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :)
    I used the one at my school to make a spinner ring (and refuse to let anyone touch it *laughs awkwardly*)

~Kyle

13. cervidfae

cervidfae Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ92.50
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    If I had a 3D printer, the first thing I would make would be a bulbasaur planter. I've wanted one for so long!
    My senior year of high school, my art teacher showed me an actual wearable dress made with one, and I thought that was something special. I've also seen that they are able to 3D print actual homes!