Abnormal Ways to Relieve Stress? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Abnormal Ways to Relieve Stress?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edan, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Edan

Edan Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ198.90
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    Making this thread for the people who might need a new way to relieve stress.
    A weird way I relax or relieve stress is by watching videos of things being destroyed. Like videos of foods, cars parts, toys, and other things just being put into huge shredders. I think it can be sort of connected to ASMR for me because I just really love the noises of the crunching like in this video here. Hydraulic Press videos are also a big one, like this video on a can of shaving cream being pressed and this video of silly string.

2. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,339.53
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    I love demolition videos! I also enjoy watching videos of people writing fancy calligraphy, or finding pictures of everyday objects/decor/etc that are semetrical in every way.

3. Quxyun

Quxyun Floppy floppy noodle dragon of the sea
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ673.77
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :)
    One thing that I do to relieve stress is to play a game of Magic against myself. Like, it's not the most challenging thing, but it lets me take my mind off things, try out some new ideas, and play what I want without being judged by anyone. (I totally don't have a goat deck for that express purpose).

Longboarding is a great stress reliever, especially on paved trails. You can just go for miles if you get going well enough, and it's just marvelous to see everything whizzing past you as if you are in a world of your own. It helps that one of the best trails for that in my town is down by the waterfront.

4. Gryneos

Gryneos Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ484.50
    Primary Identity:
    Centaur
    Mood:
    When I was married, and my wife and I had a fight, one of us would end up cleaning the kitchen. These days, as that kind of stress is out of my life, that MyNoise site works as does decluttering.

As for videos of things getting destroyed, you might have a look at the stuff produced by Survival Research Laboratories :D

5. puppyresidue

puppyresidue A Small Doggo
    VIP Dragon

Otherkin HeptagramChibi Dragon
    Bones:
    Ƀ45,360.75
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    Lately I've been driving motorcycles at top speed on Saints Row to calm me down. It's been helpful. Also blowing things up in the game is helpful too

6. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ400.30
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    I like the ASMR videos of slime or cutting things, and the hydraulic press dude has some cool stuff. I also tend to like shredding leaves to remove stress, it was an awful habit when I was a kid, I like pulling them from bushes and ripping them into little pieces. Or sitting down and pulling grass strands out of the ground to shred. Sounds really weird to type, but it's calming. You're outside while doing it too, which helps.

@Quxyun I legitimately got confused for a second when reading your post until I remembered Magic was a game that existed and you like. :sweatsmile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Grizzly

Grizzly Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ43.03
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    Music or games for me XD

8. Neve VR52

Neve VR52 Vintage Warm
    Staff Member Guardian VIP Machines United!

Solar Flare PhilterBurning PhilterBackground KeyGold VIP - Six Month SubcriptionVoice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ33,916.34
    Primary Identity:
    Machinekin
    I relieve stress by working. I always have something I need to work on, and working on music is very calming to me. I kind of disappear into my own world, and stress melts away.

I also sing and/or play guitar. Any form of making music, be it playing it myself or mixing it, is my ultimate stress relief. I occasionally play video games to get my mind off things, or draw. Drawing is good for the soul. I like to draw silly, happy things that put me in a good mood.

9. TheJackedRose

Bones:
    Ƀ183.53
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    I've always found repetition to be a very relaxing thing. While one of my normal productive go-tos is hand sewing, when I need to really distress I go for mind-numbingly repetitive. For example, typing the same thing over and over and over again - my current favorite for that right now is "159753" simply because of how pleasing it is to do on the num pad. I also like taking a blank sheet of paper, drawing random lines with a ruler all over it, and then coloring it in - only black and white though, so that it is always every-other. Both very simple things, but also relaxing.
    Another similar thing is shredding - taking a piece of paper or the like, ripping it in half, then taking those halves and ripping them again - etc., etc. until there's only the tiniest bits left.

10. AppyHeart

AppyHeart Equus Genus

Bones:
    Ƀ215.41
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Physical activity relieves my stress the most. However I do enjoy listening to Metal as a means to relieve stress. Specially "Goi Rode Goi" from Arkona. I SCREAM with her and at the end I feel like everything I have been bottled up has been forced out of me. If I am feeling REALLY bad I'll play the whole album or my next fav "Cursed Be Iron" by Turisas. Head banging, screaming, and gestures with entire body ensue if I am not driving lol Any other time I am not built up and stressed, this kind of music actually calms me. lol

11. Tammikuu

Tammikuu Little Lobo

Blue Wolf
    Bones:
    Ƀ943.15
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    Physical activity relieves stress for me as well, if I'm anxious or have had a stressful day I head down the gym or for a swim. Going out into nature also helps, climbing trees, paddling in streams, nature photography, walking in the woods are all great stress relievers for me.
    Oh, and there are other activities that take place behind closed doors that really help:winkwolf:

12. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur
    Elder Your Kintype is What

Chibi DragonBrimstone DemonMustang
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,816.75
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :hushedface:
    Like Neve, I also sing to help me relieve stress. I sing songs that I like, that feel powerful emotionally, and/or that fit the situation. I don't know why, but I've always enjoyed singing, and it makes me feel better.

13. Leslie

Leslie Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ82.40
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :perservingface:
    My way to relieve my stress is to play Call of Duty zombies and just start knifing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Neve VR52

Neve VR52 Vintage Warm
    Staff Member Guardian VIP Machines United!

Solar Flare PhilterBurning PhilterBackground KeyGold VIP - Six Month SubcriptionVoice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ33,916.34
    Primary Identity:
    Machinekin
    Love me some CoD Zombies, just had to say.

15. Diamond Sky

Diamond Sky Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ253.00
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Abnormal?
    I have a mix of anxiety and depression on a daily basis. I'm assuming we are talking about stress over things that are outside of control.

Things I do/have done:
    • Getting aggressive with those pesky guards in Assassins Creed. (Killing them all.)
    • In general, getting aggressive in a safe way relieves a lot of stress for me. :p
    • Listening or watching people I like. Usually someone who is just full of life to where their personality authentically pours out of them. It tends to kindle livelihood inside me as well. It's like the opposite of stress which is draining, to me.
    • Also talking to someone like this in person.
    • NOT doing any self reflective writing during the extra stress, as it stresses me out more and can potentially help a panic attack happen.
    • Coming up with scenarios in my head and strategies for dealing with them. If I don't have an answer, educate myself. Feeling more mentally prepared for something makes me feel more calm.
    • Have an imaginary confrontation with the spawn of Satan. XD This is my last ditch effort for when the stress won't go away, I just have it all out in my head and take it out on a kind of "tree stump" which is whatever I come up with in my head. It just serves to burn up that stress quickly instead of suffering all day long.
    • Twirling around in my room if all else fails.
    • Yelling at the sky like a crazy person in a wide open field, as well as singing, and laughing like a lunatic while ripping up and throwing gleefully into the air some documents which caused so much stress (I didn't need them, of course). No idea what this is, but it works!
    • Saying screw it, and telling someone I trust what's been on my mind which I was afraid to tell them before.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Leslie

Leslie Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ82.40
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :perservingface:
    I have anxiety too. Laughing like a lunatic is something I do but I cover it up by trying to do the voice of the German in zombies. When I have an anxiety attack I usually watch the Powers Rangers.

17. Charias

Charias Wandering Wolf
    Demonkin

Bones:
    Ƀ1,404.34
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I chew stuff. Usually cutlery, since that doesn't get completely wrecked when I'm gnawing on it (and hey, metal tastes kind of nice).

I also find storms relaxing, so if it's stormy out (or even just windy or raining heavy) and I'm feeling stressed, I'll just go sit outside for a little. I like the dark too. My old house was out in the middle of nowhere, so I liked to go sit out there in the middle of the night and just listen to the trees and the river nearby. It was a little scary sometimes, but I liked that. Fear is so much easier to deal with than anxiety.

18. portalcandies

portalcandies Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ414.31
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    I spent a couple of years off writing or drawing any sort of angst/vent (or even just letting ideas or scenarios play out in my head without putting them somewhere) but I found out that this really doesn't help me. I almost fell back into physically self-destructive behaviors as a result of abstaining from more creative forms of expressing stress, anger, sadness, etc. and I stopped journaling for awhile because of several scenarios where people I stupidly let close to me decided it was a good idea to get me to share my private thoughts because it was a "right" or some other BS.

Thankfully, I've gotten back into creative outlets for extreme stress in addition to trying to get back into strength training when I'm overwhelmed. I know exercise of any sort is a scientifically proven method of relieving stress, but just taking a walk or messing around in the pool won't cut it for me. I need some sort of actual routine or something. I'd also get back into fencing or take up a contact sport/martial art or take some self-defense courses but for some reason I've never gotten around to endurance training or anything that would allow me to actually start a course like that...

I'll also tear stuff up, but usually it's food. Beef jerky and raw kale are favorites for this, I need something I can really chew at with some resistance. I've tried chew toys and even paper before but it's not the same for me. Pantyhose are also surprisingly fun and calming to tear apart, I don't remember how or why I found this out (probably some weird incident as a kid) but it works.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Norintha

Norintha Spawn

Voice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ29.77
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    I either play violent or aggressive games like Mortal Kombat, or I just play with my pet bird. Depends on the type of stress. Pets have special healing powers.