Kinmunity

Kinmunity is an alterhuman community serving otherkin, the furry fandom, fictionkin, therians, vampires, coping links, plural systems, and the other-hearted. We provide our users with a wide variety of features, such as: forums, media center, articles library, user blogs, social groups, live chat, and more!

Curious? Come join us today!

Adding Lycanthrope as a primary identity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamoe

I think it would be great to have the option of having a lycanthrope option in the primary identity. I did some research and read some books on werewolf history and lycanthropes aren't ALL bad. There are numerous degrees of lycanthropy and being diagnosed as a clinical one professionally doesn't mean you are murdering an entire town, it is just the belief that you are in it's self as a basis. I feel there are a lot of us, and therians who only have the theriotype of a wolf are grammatically considered a Lycanthrope. I know that under the option of therian/were it includes "were" but I believe it is big enough that lycanthrope deserves its own spot since vampires do too, because they can fall under otherkin. Thank you for considering and reading this message, have a great day Naia.

Charias

Wandering Wolf
Staff member
Guardian
Within the therian community, "lycanthrope" generally isn't used to indicate a wolf therian/werewolfkin - it's used to refer to people with clinical lycanthropy: those who have the delusion of having physically changed into a wolf/werewolf (or sometimes another creature), or that they are fully capable of doing so. Because of that, being a lycanthrope in that fashion is very unhealthy -it's a mental condition associated with schizoid disorders, and is not something easy to live with for those that experience it (clinical lycanthropy is, from what I've read, exclusively a negative experience: those who have it often fear that they will turn into an animalistic form and injure people). 

Because of this, I'm quite against having it as an option for primary identity. Clinical lycanthropes need treatment and support that we, as otherkin, are not knowledgeable or qualified enough to provide. If someone primarily identifies as a clinical lycanthrope, my advice for them would be to seek medical help.

And all that also makes it very confusing if someone decides to use the word "lycanthrope" to refer to a lupine theriotype, because most of us do read it as the clinical sort rather than the literal. 

So while lycanthrope is technically one way to refer to someone with a lupine theriotype, we have very good reasons to avoid doing so!

I hope that all makes sense, Kamoe! It's a very complicated subject, and of course not something that everyone is aware of.

Velvet

A Lizardy Cat
Staff member
Community Manager
I'd agree with Charias's thoughts.

Also, Vampire is listed separately as a vampire is not an otherkin, but a person who believes they need to take in energy from an outside source in order to stay healthy. The otherkin and vampire communities are separate and while there can be some overlap (in the case someone is both a vampire and vampirekin) vampires do not generally consider themselves otherkin.

Vampirekin (someone who identifies as the fictional/mythical type of vampire) is not the same as the vampire option and would be included under otherkin or fictionkin.

Kamoe

Within the therian community, "lycanthrope" generally isn't used to indicate a wolf therian/werewolfkin - it's used to refer to people with clinical lycanthropy: those who have the delusion of having physically changed into a wolf/werewolf (or sometimes another creature), or that they are fully capable of doing so. Because of that, being a lycanthrope in that fashion is very unhealthy -it's a mental condition associated with schizoid disorders, and is not something easy to live with for those that experience it (clinical lycanthropy is, from what I've read, exclusively a negative experience: those who have it often fear that they will turn into an animalistic form and injure people). 

Because of this, I'm quite against having it as an option for primary identity. Clinical lycanthropes need treatment and support that we, as otherkin, are not knowledgeable or qualified enough to provide. If someone primarily identifies as a clinical lycanthrope, my advice for them would be to seek medical help.

And all that also makes it very confusing if someone decides to use the word "lycanthrope" to refer to a lupine theriotype, because most of us do read it as the clinical sort rather than the literal. 

So while lycanthrope is technically one way to refer to someone with a lupine theriotype, we have very good reasons to avoid doing so!

I hope that all makes sense, Kamoe! It's a very complicated subject, and of course not something that everyone is aware of.
Thank you for the insight... I understand the importance of it, I personally have learned that it's better to use a term/word/or identity as it is used by society rather than the "official" term, because if nobody really follows the "official" meaning and then makes their own, that basically becomes the meaning if everybody believes so. I know that Lycanthropy is a sensitive subject in our community and in society as a whole and is very diverse and scattered, and is hard to strictly define. I know who I am and I feel safe and comfortable in my identity but I know others on the other end of the Lycanthopy Spectrum do struggle, so I wouldn't want to hurt or offend somebody somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.