Kinmunity

Welcome to Kinmunity - We're an online community resource and forum for alterhumans including: otherkin, therians, vampires, and others with non-human identities

In order to receive full access to Kinmunity, you'll have to register an account. Registering gives you access to the following features:

• The ability to create new threads and reply to existing ones on our forums.
  • The ability to read messages in "The Dens", our members only area.
  • The ability to chat with others in our Discord server.
  • The ability to create your very own blog on the site - write whatever you want!
  • The ability to create, join, and participate in social groups!
  • and so much more...
So what are you waiting for? Join Kinmunity today!

Alterhuman Pet Peeves

galaxy_horse

Pronouns
Other
I decided to make a list of things that I’ve seen in the otherkin community that irritate me (creative I know /j)
Note: I, in no way, hold any ill will or intend any offense to those who relate to anything in this list.

1. Elitism (Part 1)

For whatever reason, I’ve seen people with otherkin identities hold some sort of resentment or something against others if they’re new to the community, have multiple kintypes, and/or have common kintypes. I’m sure almost all of us have heard people refer to individuals with wolf kintypes be referred to as “wolfaboos.” And while, to some extent, it can be valid to be irritated by certain wolf therians (ex. those who are the actual wolfaboos who are like “I was The Alpha(TM) of my pack and was a jet black wolf with bright blue eyes named Midnight” or something like that), I still think that’s kind of a part of someone’s awakening and them exploring their identity. And while they can be kind of irritating and—as much as I despise this word—“cringy,” I think that they still deserve as much respect as everyone else and shouldn’t bash them in any way. I think they should be guided and gently corrected, but not disrespect their experiences.

1.5 Elitism (Part Two)
On the other side of the same coin, I’ve seen people bash others for having obscure and less popular kintypes (ironically, it can be the same people bashing others for common kintypes). An example of this is a someone with whom I was friends with maybe 3 years ago. On Tumblr (the hellhole that it is), multiple people made fun of and belittled xem for being an eel and turkey therian. People would call xem an “attention seeker” and other awful things just for having kintypes that weren’t popular...it was very strange. Especially since I thought having an eel kintype was so cool!

2 Problematic Identities
(TW: Hitler mention; “Hitlerkin”)

For the longest time, I didn’t think there was really such thing as a problematic identity in the otherkin community...until the drama happened when someone was a Hitler factkin. I won’t dive too deep into this for the sake of my own well-being since it was a really upsetting thing for me to be exposed to.
Moving swiftly on, people who identify as people who are currently living or identify as people who are deceased are particularly troublesome. While I don’t know if that sort of thing would be considered identity theft, I can’t imagine how strange and creepy it would be for someone to claim they identify as me or was me in another universe. I don’t think people can control their kintypes...but I still thing real people should be left out of it. An example of this is that drama (also from Tumblr...shocking) was that person who identified as Markiplier. That seemed problematic to me.
And those who identify as those who are deceased seems especially disrespectful to the departed as well as the deceased person’s loved ones. That also seems like something that shouldn’t be normalized to me.

3. “Pick me” Therians
For those who don’t know what a “pick me” is, it’s essentially a minority of sorts that sides with the majority in order to gain the majority’s favor. For example, a woman who says women belong in the kitchen so men will favor her. (This does not include women who prefer traditional roles but doesn’t force it on other women.)
There are unfortunately otherkin to try and earn people outside of the community’s favor by siding with the “Cringe Culture.” They’ll be against anyone expressing their non-human identities by wearing tails, collars, etc. in public. Now, I 100% respect everyone’s opinions and what they view as “cringy.” That’s their business and their right to hold such opinions. But what crosses the lines is when they hold other individuals to that same standard. The last therian site I was on was unfortunately full of “pick me’s” as I call them, stating that people who wear tails are jokes and make the community look bad and are simply doing it for attention. That’s one of the reasons why I left the site, amongst other reasons that I won’t go into. The point is, mocking other members of the community for expressing their identities and acting like animals publicly (within reason of course) is out of line, in my opinion. They can feel however they want, that’s not the issue, but they shouldn’t bash others for it or call them names. To me, that’s crossing the line.

4. Taking self-expression too far
Backtracking a bit on my last point, there’s a balance to how you express yourself. Wearing accessories and making your kintype’s sounds (if they make them) is fine, in my opinion. But I feel as thought you shouldn’t go up to random people sniffing them randomly. I feel like moderation is important in that way. Unless you know the person and know they wouldn’t feel uncomfortable, you shouldn’t involve someone when acting like your kintype. Barking/hissing at random people should not be normalized, in my own opinion. This is coming from someone who used to do this. It makes people uncomfortable and can even spark conflict and negative emotions. You always need to be considerate of those around you.
Additionally, maybe the biggest thing that should be stressed when expressing your kintype is to recognize your human body’s needs. Please don’t be like that one person (AGAIN on tumblr) and eat your mother’s (or anybody’s) jewelry because you’re a dragonkin! I shouldn’t have to explain why eating jewels and rocks isn’t good for you....While your mind, heart, and/or soul is that of a creature, realize your body is that of a human and tend to its humanly needs. Please.
~~
That pretty much sums up everything I could think of :)
Again: If you identify with anything in this list and are upset with what I said, I apologize. This is simply my view on things and you’re entitled to your own opinion the same way I am as well.
If anything I’ve said really upsets you, please let me know so we can talk it out. <3
Stay safe!! 🐴💜

ParadiseWolf

Banned
Pronouns
Masculine
I would add "Judgemental Misanthropy" to the list.

Some people just don't enjoy being around other people that much and that is fine. Others have had bad experiences with other humans and are hesitant to form relationships. That is fine too, as long as they have some person in their life or even an animal that makes them happy. What I do not like is the attitude that humans/normies are somehow inferior to therians and animals, usually with an exaggerated environmentalist spin that humans are a disease that are killing this planet. My opinion is that we cause issues for ourselves and often the environment, but that we can do good too. It's true that we could do a lot better, but saying we are killing the planet feels like a stretch. (It's my opinion that CO2 is not a serious threat) While it's unfortunate, the massive success of one species often undermines others. Humans happen to be very successful, so this effect is abundantly clear. Of course, we could lighten our impact on the environment and treat animals better. If someone dislikes humans in a benign way, I'm not going to judge, but I don't think it's right to hate humans in a vindictive manner. I feel strongly about this because it is against my faith in Jesus.

galaxy_horse

Pronouns
Other
I would add "Judgemental Misanthropy" to the list.

Some people just don't enjoy being around other people that much and that is fine. Others have had bad experiences with other humans and are hesitant to form relationships. That is fine too, as long as they have some person in their life or even an animal that makes them happy. What I do not like is the attitude that humans/normies are somehow inferior to therians and animals, usually with an exaggerated environmentalist spin that humans are a disease that are killing this planet. My opinion is that we cause issues for ourselves and often the environment, but that we can do good too. It's true that we could do a lot better, but saying we are killing the planet feels like a stretch. (It's my opinion that CO2 is not a serious threat) While it's unfortunate, the massive success of one species often undermines others. Humans happen to be very successful, so this effect is abundantly clear. Of course, we could lighten our impact on the environment and treat animals better. If someone dislikes humans in a benign way, I'm not going to judge, but I don't think it's right to hate humans in a vindictive manner. I feel strongly about this because it is against my faith in Jesus.
I have to say that, in some way, I do feel that humans are a bit of a burden and a “disease.” However this is due to loads of trauma in my past and I’m currently seeking out help to work through those feelings. I definitely agree that humans aren’t doomed to be horrible creatures and that the stated view is very pessimistic and not at all accurate. And while I’m not a Christian, I also have spiritual beliefs that state that humans, animals, and alterhumans are equal. Do I prefer company of animals over that of humans? 100%! But this doesn’t mean that humans are the bane of my existence (anymore anyway). It’s certainly not a healthy mindset. Thanks so much for the addition!

Lighter

Moderation Team
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
Crow
Otherkin
Asexual Pride
Pronouns
Neutral
I agree with you, we should respect everyone's identities (unless they are problematic) and respect other people as well by balancing the expression of nonhuman identities. However, some things you mentioned here are created and perpetuated by trolls.
2 Problematic Identities
(TW: Hitler mention; “Hitlerkin”)

For the longest time, I didn’t think there was really such thing as a problematic identity in the otherkin community...until the drama happened when someone was a Hitler factkin. I won’t dive too deep into this for the sake of my own well-being since it was a really upsetting thing for me to be exposed to.
Moving swiftly on, people who identify as people who are currently living or identify as people who are deceased are particularly troublesome. While I don’t know if that sort of thing would be considered identity theft, I can’t imagine how strange and creepy it would be for someone to claim they identify as me or was me in another universe. I don’t think people can control their kintypes...but I still thing real people should be left out of it. An example of this is that drama (also from Tumblr...shocking) was that person who identified as Markiplier. That seemed problematic to me.
And those who identify as those who are deceased seems especially disrespectful to the departed as well as the deceased person’s loved ones. That also seems like something that shouldn’t be normalized to me.
Additionally, maybe the biggest thing that should be stressed when expressing your kintype is to recognize your human body’s needs. Please don’t be like that one person (AGAIN on tumblr) and eat your mother’s (or anybody’s) jewelry because you’re a dragonkin! I shouldn’t have to explain why eating jewels and rocks isn’t good for you....While your mind, heart, and/or soul is that of a creature, realize your body is that of a human and tend to its humanly needs. Please.
All of these are trolls, haters and cringers who are bullying the otherkin community by trying to make otherkin look insane. So please don't take it seriously and don't feed the trolls (even if it's tempting to do so).

The best counterattack against trolls is putting accurate information on otherkin out there. The more people find accurate information on otherkin and the alterhuman community at large, the less the trolls will be believed.
Another great counterattack would be if non-alterhumans get to know alterhumans personally. If non-alterhumans are not full of hate, judgemental and the likes, they will soon see that we are similar on so many levels. No matter their identities, most people want a good and happy life, love and acceptance, freedom and respect, and friendship. Nearly everyone wants animals to be loved and cared for, and a better state of the planet. Furthermore, who doesn't have some hopes and dreams for the future?

The sad thing is that currently, it can often be risky or even dangerous to come out as alterhuman. I hope this will change in the future. If it weren't so risky / dangerous to be open about our identities, many people would see that we have much in common. We've probably got more commonalities than differences.

galaxy_horse

Pronouns
Other
I agree with you, we should respect everyone's identities (unless they are problematic) and respect other people as well by balancing the expression of nonhuman identities. However, some things you mentioned here are created and perpetuated by trolls.

All of these are trolls, haters and cringers who are bullying the otherkin community by trying to make otherkin look insane. So please don't take it seriously and don't feed the trolls (even if it's tempting to do so).

The best counterattack against trolls is putting accurate information on otherkin out there. The more people find accurate information on otherkin and the alterhuman community at large, the less the trolls will be believed.
Another great counterattack would be if non-alterhumans get to know alterhumans personally. If non-alterhumans are not full of hate, judgemental and the likes, they will soon see that we are similar on so many levels. No matter their identities, most people want a good and happy life, love and acceptance, freedom and respect, and friendship. Nearly everyone wants animals to be loved and cared for, and a better state of the planet. Furthermore, who doesn't have some hopes and dreams for the future?

The sad thing is that currently, it can often be risky or even dangerous to come out as alterhuman. I hope this will change in the future. If it weren't so risky / dangerous to be open about our identities, many people would see that we have much in common. We've probably got more commonalities than differences.
Oh my gosh I thought they were real! I’ll edit that immediately. Thank you so much

galaxy_horse

Pronouns
Other
***Important: I wasn’t aware of this, but the individuals mentioned (the “hitlerkin” & “dragonkin”) were not actually otherkin and were in fact trolls. I apologize for the false information.

Lighter

Moderation Team
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
Crow
Otherkin
Asexual Pride
Pronouns
Neutral
***Important: I wasn’t aware of this, but the individuals mentioned (the “hitlerkin” & “dragonkin”) were not actually otherkin and were in fact trolls. I apologize for the false information.
You don't have to apologize for this, as you did not do anything wrong. I know it can be hard to recognize trolls. Sometimes they are elusive for me, I believe this is due to my Autism.

galaxy_horse

Pronouns
Other
I appreciate it.
While I’m not on the autism spectrum (haven’t been diagnosed anyway), I am neurodivergent so it can be hard lol!
But still. I feel like I should’ve looked into the situation further before commenting on it 🤷‍♂️

ParadiseWolf

Banned
Pronouns
Masculine

I agree. Anyone who kins a murderous dictator is probably trolling. They probably chose Hitler because he's the one that the mainstream media hates the most. There is a long list, however...

ParadiseWolf

Banned
Pronouns
Masculine
Very true. And lord help us if I run into a Trump kin, troll or not 😂
I don't think Trump is very comparable to people like Mao, Stalin, Hitler, Saddam Hussein, and Kim Jong Un, but because of the media's hatred of him, I would guess a Trump kin would be a troll as well.

galaxy_horse

Pronouns
Other
I’d say he’s somewhat close for being responsible (though not directly) for many deaths and has dictator traits. So I’d say close but not quite there. But moving swiftly on: I wonder if the markiplier kin person was a troll. I’m fairly confident they weren’t

Ravenna Freyasdottir

VIP
Therianthrope
Plural
Pansexual Pride
Pronouns
Neutral
Dude, Tumblr is a hellhole for otherkin because so many trolls are on that site but so are many true kin. One of my pet peeves is the whole "kin as a verb" thing. "Kin" is not a verb. You cannot kin, you just are a (insert type here)-kin. Please do not use "kin" as a verb as in "to kin" because it is a noun, guys.

Sorry I'm a grammar nerd but this really gets on my nerves not just from a grammar standpoint

Lepus alleni

just a hare
Therianthrope
Pronouns
Other
Dude, Tumblr is a hellhole for otherkin because so many trolls are on that site but so are many true kin. One of my pet peeves is the whole "kin as a verb" thing. "Kin" is not a verb. You cannot kin, you just are a (insert type here)-kin. Please do not use "kin" as a verb as in "to kin" because it is a noun, guys.

Sorry I'm a grammar nerd but this really gets on my nerves not just from a grammar standpoint
on the same note as this, as someone who originally joined tumblr in 2011 seeking other otherkin to learn more about the community (this was *before* kin as a verb started popping up, or even before fictionkin was even widely accepted [I thought I may have been an umbreon at the time, and got *a lot* of angry dragon/elves/foxes/ect messaging me]), and watching the community slowly drift away from anything I related to.

Which rounds back to the topic of pet peeves as well as "kin as a verb" and the crowd that surrounds that general rising of that, is I see so many ex-kin on tumblr who just widely joke about how they 'used to believe they were 10 different anime boys but just needed therapy' with the implication that we were all mistaken and confused and reflecting on characters we just liked or wanted to be. Instead of, you know, any people legitimately finding something that legitimately describes a part of who they are. I feel like some lunatic to even imply that I wish people took people who actually fit the definition of what otherkin is more seriously instead of just reflecting on their past coping skills as an ill-adept teenager whenever the term 'kin' comes up. That's what I worry is going to continue happening with more and more teenagers 'kinning' as a choice, ect, which I've heard has gained traction on twitter and has been ongoing on instagram; people never really understanding what being otherkin is, and then outgrowing it as they mature, only to point and laugh at anyone who still uses the label...