Kinmunity

Welcome to Kinmunity - We're an online community resource and forum for alterhumans including: otherkin, therians, vampires, and others with non-human identities

In order to receive full access to Kinmunity, you'll have to register an account. Registering gives you access to the following features:

• The ability to create new threads and reply to existing ones on our forums.
  • The ability to read messages in "The Dens", our members only area.
  • The ability to chat with others in our Discord server.
  • The ability to create your very own blog on the site - write whatever you want!
  • The ability to create, join, and participate in social groups!
  • and so much more...
So what are you waiting for? Join Kinmunity today!

Alterhuman Pet Peeves

galaxy_horse

Pronouns
Other
That is such a valid thing. I experience the same thing, dude. I actually just posted something talking about how people outside our community are taking our term and using it like a meme. It really bothers me.

Lepus alleni

just a hare
Therianthrope
Pronouns
Other
That is such a valid thing. I experience the same thing, dude. I actually just posted something talking about how people outside our community are taking our term and using it like a meme. It really bothers me.
That's the worst and most peevish part of it all, perhaps. Theres so few language around this phenomena that doesn't sound like I'm trying to make it seem like I'm implying that otherkin are an oppressed group or that they're "supressing" the [pretentiously posh voice] "REAL otherkin", when I just want to communicate that distinguishing and understanding what being otherkin means to those of us who actually feel other, unhuman, ect is important.
Prior to finding this forum I'd felt completely severed from otherkin and therians that have experiences that resonate with me and bring us under the same terminology for years aside from another forum I will not name that I left for reasons others have covered. Every discord server or anything else I could find for any kind of alterhumans was either fictionkin-centric (fine but not for me) or full of 13 year olds with 50 kithtypes they insisted to call kintypes along their one or two "actually me" (yknow. like a kintype.), and the latters confusing own sublexicon they've created to try to describe experiences terms that have been so far diluted no longer clearly communicate because no one in their social circles actually uses this terminology for what it was originally designed for.

I don't feel I can blame them in any good conscious, being a teenager is its own confusing time for ones identity, I just wish so, so much that there was language to explain.... all this.

galaxy_horse

Pronouns
Other
right??
It’s so hard to say how irritating it is without making it sound like we’re stuck up gatekeepers or that people are committing cultural appropriation. We’re not trying to come across that way but it feels like that’s what we’re doing.

2-D

Plural
Fictionkin
Furry
Bisexual Pride
Asexual Pride
Otherkin
Transgender Pride
Pronouns
Masculine
One of mine is the lack of respect around fictionkin identities, or us not being taken seriously.

I think cringe culture has an impact within community members that causes a lot of bias. It's okay to not believe someone else, but it is important to be respectful. I think a lot of the bias comes from people seeing trolls, or people who are "kinning". If that is someone's first impression, then perhaps it may leave a mark...

Maybe it can form a "But I'm not like them" mindset. Or a "These people have issues and want to escape" mindset.

I am 100% okay with people not agreeing with me, or not believing in my identity and spirituality as long as they are respectful. I don't need anyone else's approval to have this belief. I don't need to prove anything to anyone. I do like to share about it, though.

Generally, kin spaces that I've been in have been accepting. I guess it's a mixture of coincidence and intentionally seeking out fictionkin friendly places. I have seen anti-fictionkin comments and other things. I do suspect that many otherkin and therians don't take us seriously, even if they engage with us respectfully. You don't have to believe someone to take them seriously. This goes back to the bias I was talking about. It could be conscious or unconscious bias.

What I'm talking about here is something like: "My identity is real, but this person is just coping/fantasizing". This can be true, but it isn't your place to judge. Just because someone has different beliefs and experiences, that doesn't mean they're pretending or wrong. It's unfair for us to have to prove our identities to be taken seriously. Or to prove our beliefs to be taken seriously.

I understand being hesitant to believe it. That's probably normal. I've struggled with believing it, and I still hold a lot of inner doubt from previous mindsets.

I want my beliefs to be treated with the seriousness of anyone else's spiritual beliefs. It may seem like a fun "what if" thing, but it's deeper than that. It's been a long and hard journey to accept this, because I clung onto my idea of rationality for so long.

I've developed a deeper understanding of how and why this can happen, so I feel more secure now.

I still feel like I have to prove myself, even though I really don't. I don't want to be just shrugged off because I'm a bit more strange.

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
Genderfluid Pride
Pronouns
I get what you're saying there ConfusedGhost. I've got something similar going on. Deitykin, especially named deitykin, are borderline problematic.

So naturally my pet peeve is other deitykin who walk right over that problematic line and make the situation worse. They disrespect the modern followers, who are still out there BTW. They often disrespect humanity in general. Many of them are obviously on some kind of ego-power trip. Or maybe that was just Tumblr. I stayed mostly away from those tags because they made me sick.

Basically peeved about anyone who proves those assumptions and stereotypes right.

Lopori

Pronouns
Coining new words every 5 minutes for the most obscure things. Overreliance on oddly specific categories in general and what term to call what thing and who fits where and why.

Also, the growing trend of purity culture. Always walking into some stupid discourse about problematic this or that when before I felt at home and safe with my fellow freaks. Now there's this acceptable level of freak that you mustn't transcend because kinnies get weirded out. If I were to go by their rules I'd have fuck all to talk about.

jet

Pronouns
Feminine
One of my kin pet peeves is that apparently objectkin are trolls like im sorry a troll hurt you but for the love of any God that troll wants you to be hurt and telling me im invalid makes you a troll yourself (thank you for coming to my Ted talks)

Kirsten015

Transgender Pride
Non-Binary Pride
Fictionkin
Alterhuman
Plural
Pronouns
Neutral
One of my pet peeves is when someone has called me schizophrenic/suggests I am for being an otherkin system like my mom has done. It is also when others try to convince me that the sorts of odd experiences I have regarding my identity weren't real/never happened/etc and trying to convince me that it's all just happening due to anxiety and I'm just telling them otherkin things for attention.

Also species discourse, seconding InkyDaily on this.

Everyone here is valid. All identities are valid. Don't let the trolls get to you.

galaxy_horse

Pronouns
Other
One of my kin pet peeves is that apparently objectkin are trolls like im sorry a troll hurt you but for the love of any God that troll wants you to be hurt and telling me im invalid makes you a troll yourself (thank you for coming to my Ted talks)
I’ve never actually met an objectkin. I’m not sure how that would work. I’d love to learn more about them, to be honest. I’m not sure why people dislike them.

jet

Pronouns
Feminine
I’ve never actually met an objectkin. I’m not sure how that would work. I’d love to learn more about them, to be honest. I’m not sure why people dislike them.
"You can't have the soul of something that was never alive" is one reason people have for me being a troll and not a actual doll nevermind psychological otherkin! Gr

galaxy_horse

Pronouns
Other
"You can't have the soul of something that was never alive" is one reason people have for me being a troll and not a actual doll nevermind psychological otherkin! Gr
I say just let people do whatever as long as it doesn’t negatively impact anyone or themselves 🤷