An idea that came up in a discussion recently - souls | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

An idea that came up in a discussion recently - souls

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by Kaijara, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Kaijara

Kaijara Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Hello all! I found this intriguing so I thought I would mention it.

My understanding is that otherkin don't have as solid a being as therians. They can change and are many things or can be at least. Whether it is past lives or whatever, I don't know. I still have a hard time understanding it.

I was talking to an otherkin yesterday and he said that he views it as having an incredibly flexible and adaptable soul that can be anything. (Past lives are able to manifest because of this.

I am a wolf. Pure and simple, I couldn't change if I wanted too. It could be a past life manifesting or it could be I am just stuck in my ways. However I think my soul is inherently wolf as I don't have multiple kintypes.

Here is my idea I thought of. I think that because they are not fully sentient, animals don't have the adaptability of soul that otherkin do. NOT LESSER, just different. I see way many more single type therians than I do otherkin.

Humans have been sentient for hundreds of years and I think it has affected them at that levle and they have grown to be not just physicaly adaptable but on a spiritual levle too. This means past lives and other spiritual things can manifest. Perhaps some therians are like this as well... Idk. Just thought I would talk about this.

• Like Like x 6
  2. TheSolitaryGray

TheSolitaryGray Vaki'ir
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.14
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I'm not sure I entirely agree on this. Yes, there are polymorphs and multiple systems and such that fall under the Otherkin umbrella, but not all otherkin are like this. A poodle may be a dog, but not all dogs are poodles, y'know? There are some otherkin that are one thing and one thing only, and their potential to become more than that is neither greater nor lesser than any therian.

Same as you are a wolf, I am an alien, plain and simple. I couldn't change it if I wanted, and quite frankly, I don't want to change it. The only reason I am not a therian is because my species comes from somewhere other than Earth.

And yes, I do believe therians have the same potential to have multiple past lives and theriotypes as otherkin. A soul is a soul is a soul, after all. Literally the only real difference between the two is semantics.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Kaijara

Kaijara Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Exactly why I wanted to discuss it. I just saw such stark differences between me and the kin I was talking with and we got to discussing that. The idea that came up just was really intruiging to me. I don't really understand alot of this beyond what I feel so I am glad to learn.
    I see people with so many kintypes it just boggles me as I have a hard enough time with just being a wolf. It is crazy. I mean this conversation was a wolf(me) talking too a dragon. How insane is that? I love it and I strive to learn more about all of this.

• Like Like x 3
  4. PerkyHedgewitch

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ2.00
    Primary Identity:
    Elfen
    When I first started getting into Otherkin and really understanding myself in 1999/2000 or so, the prevailing theory that I seemed to run into was that we were reincarnated. Some souls had multiple experiences, or multiple lifetimes that shone through while other souls had one really strong experience that affected them. Those with a singular experience were sometimes seen as having had a traumatic end to their most recent life, so that was sticking with them. I spoke to a lot of people who remembered a large war and then coming through some kind of opening between here and "there" (wherever "there" may be). Others later came to find other lives (which is where people would get made fun of for being a wolf-dragon-vampire-elf by those who didn't understand).

The people I spoke to who had multiple kin types usually said "Well, souls flow wherever they need to in order for you to learn what you need to learn. Why would they stick with one species and one species only?" I may remember a past life in Ireland as a merchant's daughter, but I also remember a past life as an Elf and a past life as an Elf with wings. My human past lives are there for a reason, just as my Elven lives are (both winged and unwinged).

• Like Like x 1
  5. LinRae

LinRae Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ12.82
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    The reincarnation part as the same being fits with my memories of what I am. The best way to 'fit' into a society and learn of a species is to live as one of them for awhile. From the memories I have I would often be born into a race, then 'wake up' at some point past being considered an adult to the reality of what I actually was. It might seem odd, but this was the best sense I got from what I have seen/remembered. My soul was what made me what I was, being reborn gave me a chance to best learn a race's mannerisms.

6. Bran

Bran Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    My explanation for myself doesn't involve reincarnation, it involves ancestry. I believe that not only physical traits, but spiritual traits as well, get passed down from parents to child (traducianism). For this reason I lean more towards the camp of specific soul type rather than generic soul type (a blank slate on which is recorded essence from each life lived). So for my end, no I am not soul adaptable. I am the one thing and that thing only.

7. Ouroboros85

Ouroboros85 Golden Dragon
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.50
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    I believe that the draconic side of me is inherent to my soul if you wiill, while I have lived draconic past lives I have also lived lives as some fairly strange alien species, a daemon and I believe at least once as a dolphin, however I do not identify myself as any of those even if in astral I may freely assume the 'form' of such, however astral being astral I can assume any 'form' I care to. While I may learn allot throughout another life, I am learning to live as a human much better throughout this one, it does not change what I am and likely what I will always be. A Dragon.

8. DianeticIsland

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ7.02
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    What I believe is simple. We don't have souls, we are our soul, or spirit. Immortal, curious, and wandering spirits, such as us, are likely to have lived "past lives," which, is to be noted as, "To be born again into the flesh or into another body."

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Black Winged AngelChibi DragonBrimstone Demon
    Bones:
    Ƀ844.15
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    Resurrecting this thread because I think it's an interesting discussion even though I'm pretty sure everyone above me is inactive;

Looks like I'm the opposite of the other otherkin here, because of my personal understanding of my identity, it's weird for me to imagine having more than one kintype at all. Because what I experience is so strong, so intrinsically tied to this one being, I can't imagine feeling anything else just as strongly. I guess I can understand the viewpoint in the context of past lives leaving their mark on the present state of the soul as a spiritual explanation, but because it's not my belief it's somewhat foreign to me. And maybe that has more to do with the fact that my kinself is immortal -- even if he were a past life, the soul wouldn't have any further past lives to go to, in that context this one being is overwhelmingly my past, present, and/or future self.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mist Howler

Mist Howler Tofu-Eating Reptilian
    Staff Member Guardian VIP Alien/Spacekin

Blue Shift PhilterSparkling PhilterVoice KeyGold VIP - Six Month Subcription
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,632.91
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Mood:
    :angel:
    Yay! Necro'd posts!

Well, I feel that my identity is very concrete and does not have the flexibility of changing. I only have one kintype and I am an otherkin. c: Now, throwing my beliefs into this: I feel that I have personality traits that have attached to my soul, from other past lives, but what makes me otherkin is that one of my past lives (my alien one, obviously), has nearly integrated fully with my current human life in most aspects from the way I think, how I feel about certain situations, mannerisms, preferences, et cetera.

Anywho, I feel that we are our own soul / manifestation and our bodies are our current vessels. So, whether you are an otherkin, a therianthrope, or a nonkin; I feel that none are more "flexible" or "adapting" or whatever. I see them with the same properties with different past lives; otherkin, therianthropes, and nonkin's souls are not more special than one another. How I see it, therianthropes and otherkin will have their kintypes from their past-life "become prominent" and somehow "intertwined" with that of this current life or possibly future lives. I feel the whole point of reincarnation is to learn, adapt, and to understand. I'll expand more on this, but that is a subject for another time.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur
    Elder Your Kintype is What

Chibi DragonBrimstone DemonMustang
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,816.70
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :hushedface:
    I may have trouble pinning down exactly what my kin type is, but it certainly doesn't change. I think that goes for nearly all of us.

12. Alucard

Alucard Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ111.72
    Primary Identity:
    Vampire

well, there are many monsters that are said to once be human, vampires as one, angels, demons, ghosts, ghouls. the list keeps going. and we are the most intelligent race on this planet so there might be a point that once a animal passes it it gains a sort of personality intelligence or a soul that is strong enough to transcend physical form, i would say monotheistic religion backs this point, as demons are said to both be fallen angels and humans, and certain angels in Catholicism were once saints, so if we were to take at lest a grain of this and of all religion and writings of the past you may vary well be right, or we are all just mentally insane with a ego that we are a special snowflake and that we just make up a bunch of bs to make life more entertaining, but i would like to think humanity above such.-Alucard

13. Ormr Void

Ormr Void Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ569.17
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    I think the idea of using the past live test to indicate what species one would be is flawed because if one lived many lives they could say they are wolf, bear, eagle, beaver, slug (based on the number of lives they had).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Starborn

Starborn Wild Alien Witch

Bones:
    Ƀ86.38
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    I would like to second what DianeticIsland said; I do not believe I "have" a soul - I AM a soul. Hence why I identify as I do.

How I, personally, view it is that - as @Ormr Void pointed out - having a past life as something other than human does not "make" you otherkin (or a therian for that matter). I have lived several lives as various different beings, including humans. However, like @Mist Howler, I have only one kintype, and it has not "changed" or fluctuated since I discovered it.
    The way I see it, I - as in me, a soul - have gone through various different lives for various reasons. I think my main reason is to learn all I can about life. I don't know if there is an end to it or not, and I don't care too much as I try not to fixate on the future. However, I don't believe I have an "alien soul" or anything like that; in my opinion, a soul is just a soul. All souls are nothing more than conscious energy. I feel like I simply felt the most attached to my body as an alien. I "fell in love" with that body and life, and it sort of... I don't know... "imprinted" onto my soul, I guess? Either way, I (my soul) now take the 'shape' of it (phantom limbs, astral body, etc.) and still feel like I AM that alien being. That means, in my most recent past life, when I was a young teenager in the early 80's experimenting with drugs, alcohol, and sex (and died at 16), I was otherkin. And, I don't know, maybe in my past lives as other animals and beings, I was otherkin then, too? The alien life I identify as was one of my first, I believe, not my most recent, as opposed to many.
    I don't know if any of this makes sense. I don't know what is 'true'/'real' or not, and frankly, I don't care too much. I don't think much about WHY I identify the way I do. All that matters to me is that I do. I, here and now, for whatever reason, identify as some strange alien creature.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Ormr Void

Ormr Void Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ569.17
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    I wholeheartedly agree. I find it is the very first life to determines what you are, the other lives are learning experiences not identities. My first life was dragon so that is what I am

• Like Like x 1
  16. Grey

Grey Doodle Dragon
    Staff Member Guardian Dragon

Chibi DragonGold Dragon CoinFerocious Obsidian DragonGold Otherkin Heptagram
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,996.61
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    I am otherkin and I only have one static kintype. And I am also completely exempt from this theory for not identifying as otherkin for anything having to do with souls or spirituality at all.

I believe that all identities can be somewhat fluid in nature, as our perception of ourselves often changes through self discovery and other events in our lives. Humans are adaptive creatures, as you have said, and that goes for psychologically as well. We can bounce back from the deepest of psychological hurts and scars and still survive, possibly even thrive.

17. Ormr Void

Ormr Void Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ569.17
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Does that not imply Grey that one day you might not even consider your otherkin, that in your process of self discovery you could in theory turn around and say "boy was I an idiot, who really calls themselves that."?

18. Grey

Grey Doodle Dragon
    Staff Member Guardian Dragon

Chibi DragonGold Dragon CoinFerocious Obsidian DragonGold Otherkin Heptagram
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,996.61
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    One day I could discover that I was mistaken, yes. It is just as one day someone may decide that they were mistaken about their spiritual beliefs. I doubt I would call myself an idiot though, or call anyone else an idiot for it. I have been around this community long enough to realize that our identities are genuine, at least in the sense that they matter to us a great deal.