Kinmunity

Welcome to Kinmunity - We're an online community resource and forum for alterhumans including: otherkin, therians, vampires, and others with non-human identities

In order to receive full access to Kinmunity, you'll have to register an account. Registering gives you access to the following features:

• The ability to create new threads and reply to existing ones on our forums.
  • The ability to read messages in "The Dens", our members only area.
  • The ability to chat with others in our Discord server.
  • The ability to create your very own blog on the site - write whatever you want!
  • The ability to create, join, and participate in social groups!
  • and so much more...
So what are you waiting for? Join Kinmunity today!

Anthropomorphic Animal Therians/Otherkin?

elementshift

Pronouns
Masculine
hey kinmunity! i wanted to ask you all, do any among you identify as an anthropomorphic animal therian/otherkin? do you think lycanthropes count as anthropomorphic animals, or no? why or why not?

context for why I ask this question: i am exploring my possible alterhumanity, specifically the possibility of being a therian, and i'm noticing that i feel more like an anthro animal than i do a feral animal. i don't feel as divorced from my personhood as i perceive therians do. i am fully open to the possibility that i simply am a human, but i was wondering if you all had any thoughts to offer on this topic.

Velvet

A Lizardy Cat
Staff member
Community Manager
Therianthrope
Fictionkin
Pronouns
Feminine
My 'kintype is an anthropomorphic reptile of sorts, an argonian (fictional race from TES).

As for lycanthropes counting as anthropomorphic animals, I feel it really depends on the context. Some depictions of werecreatures are more a complete shift from human to animal, in which case it's not very anthropomorphic. However much more commonly there are anthropomorphic aspects to lycanthropes, perhaps retaining some human mindset, aspects of their body being more humanoid or a combination of the both. And in those cases then I'd say they're very much anthropomorphic creatures. There are certainly many otherkin who do identify as anthropomorphic beings.

There are also many therians who view themselves as being werecreatures, particularly those from the older communities, as they see themselves as humans who shift to an animal. Were (as in werewolf, werecat, etc...) used to be the term used to describe a therian before the term therianthrope came into use.

My theriotype is not anthropomorphic, however aspects of how I experience my therianthropy are. The way my phantoms overlay my human body can make me feel like an anthro-feline at times, and with my mindset being a constant blending of human-feline my thoughts and instincts can be intermixed.
These days I've noticed a tendency towards therians stating they are not human in anything but body, and while I'm sure some do feel that way, it's also fine to acknowledge and connect with the human aspects of ourselves. Personally I very much view human as a part of my identity. As a spiritual therian my personal beliefs are that I have lived many lives as many different felines, and each life left an imprint on my soul which influences what I am now. With my current life being human, I also see that as imprinting on my soul and so it mingles with the feline to create a human-feline experience.
I don't believe my theriotype is anthropomorphic, however my experience of being therian does include anthropomorphic aspects.

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
Genderfluid Pride
Pronouns
When I was in high school, before I got into the Egyptian stuff, I primarily thought of myself as an anthro-hawk. It was something of a mental exercise to try to figure out what adaptations would have to be made to slap wings on the back of a human and get it to fly. By the time you get done, it probably wouldn't look very human. (I'm not sure if the hexapod design is even feasible since the wings would need to be so large and sweep so far forward. The shoulders would absolutely get in the way, and the whole thing would be rather unbalanced. Your typical angelic model is not practical at all.) So think of more of an alien uncanny-valley type rather than a cartoony fursuit type. That seemed to work just fine for me because hawks don't particularly care about looking friendly.

But even back then I had the sense that I was originally a spirit who then became a hawk. The anthro-hawk form was third. My original form is further away from human than any animal. When it comes to deities, then heck yeah they've been anthropomorphized. There's a lot more going on below the surface, beyond the fictionalized human-like characterizations in the myths.

If the lycanthrope has an in between stage that is both human and animal, then I'd consider them to be anthropomorphic. Maybe even if the full animal form thinks the same way a human does.

But for now, a human brain and a human mind are what I have to work with. It is the window that I'm currently seeing the world through. Even if I started off as something else, this is how I'm experiencing things now. The anthro-hawk is easier to relate to right now. Similar to what Velvet said, my phantom limbs overlap my human body. My fingers and toes often end in talons. I get phantom feathers a lot. Sometimes my arms feel like wings and sometimes the wings stretch and flex on my back. Most of the time, it's the anthro form that I'm aware of.

elementshift

Pronouns
Masculine
My 'kintype is an anthropomorphic reptile of sorts, an argonian (fictional race from TES).

As for lycanthropes counting as anthropomorphic animals, I feel it really depends on the context. Some depictions of werecreatures are more a complete shift from human to animal, in which case it's not very anthropomorphic. However much more commonly there are anthropomorphic aspects to lycanthropes, perhaps retaining some human mindset, aspects of their body being more humanoid or a combination of the both. And in those cases then I'd say they're very much anthropomorphic creatures. There are certainly many otherkin who do identify as anthropomorphic beings.

There are also many therians who view themselves as being werecreatures, particularly those from the older communities, as they see themselves as humans who shift to an animal. Were (as in werewolf, werecat, etc...) used to be the term used to describe a therian before the term therianthrope came into use.

My theriotype is not anthropomorphic, however aspects of how I experience my therianthropy are. The way my phantoms overlay my human body can make me feel like an anthro-feline at times, and with my mindset being a constant blending of human-feline my thoughts and instincts can be intermixed.
These days I've noticed a tendency towards therians stating they are not human in anything but body, and while I'm sure some do feel that way, it's also fine to acknowledge and connect with the human aspects of ourselves. Personally I very much view human as a part of my identity. As a spiritual therian my personal beliefs are that I have lived many lives as many different felines, and each life left an imprint on my soul which influences what I am now. With my current life being human, I also see that as imprinting on my soul and so it mingles with the feline to create a human-feline experience.
I don't believe my theriotype is anthropomorphic, however my experience of being therian does include anthropomorphic aspects.
thank you for replying! i play TES too, i actually enjoy playing as a khajit (i suspect it's because i like to be a nonhuman but i prefer cats over lizards in terms my identity) and especially a member of the companions because i feel drawn to canines.

yeah, I agree it depends on the context whether or not lycans count as anthros as well.

i really appreciate your perspective on how your personhood blends with your therianthropy. i view my humanity as part of me as well, like there's a human side to me and a beast side. but i'm not sure yet if i'm an anthro or if i am a human soul as well as a beast soul, if that makes sense. do you consider yourself a vacillant therian?

elementshift

Pronouns
Masculine
My main theriotype is a shapeshifting therian being of sorts (only Earthly creatures), but can often be seen as an anthropomorphic canine of sorts with horns. But I feel similarly about being biologically human, in that I don't experience any desire to change or otherwise alter my physical state, and I also don't experience any discomfort with my humanity in regards to species.

But as for the lycanthrope question, definitely. I believe any animal that has human/sapient traits (talking, walking upright, human traits like hands, etc) is anthropomorphic. The official definition of anthropomorphism is, "Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human traits, emotions, or intentions to non-human entities. It is considered to be an innate tendency of human psychology." Personally my beliefs and understanding on anthropomorphism align with this definition.
thank you for replying to my thread!
hearing your experience has helped me to further process my own experiences without feeling like i should write my experiences off.

i also agree with your definition of anthropomorphic.

elementshift

Pronouns
Masculine
Not really anthro but I'm a cat girl, so a human with cat characteristics. I don't think that counts as anthro, but I dunno.
thank you for replying! and i'm a furry, and we don't consider cat girls to be anthropomorphic animals, because essentially a cat girl is a human girl with cat ears, tail, and (rarely) paws, whereas an anthropomorphic animal is an animal with human like characteristics!

elementshift

Pronouns
Masculine
When I was in high school, before I got into the Egyptian stuff, I primarily thought of myself as an anthro-hawk. It was something of a mental exercise to try to figure out what adaptations would have to be made to slap wings on the back of a human and get it to fly. By the time you get done, it probably wouldn't look very human. (I'm not sure if the hexapod design is even feasible since the wings would need to be so large and sweep so far forward. The shoulders would absolutely get in the way, and the whole thing would be rather unbalanced. Your typical angelic model is not practical at all.) So think of more of an alien uncanny-valley type rather than a cartoony fursuit type. That seemed to work just fine for me because hawks don't particularly care about looking friendly.

But even back then I had the sense that I was originally a spirit who then became a hawk. The anthro-hawk form was third. My original form is further away from human than any animal. When it comes to deities, then heck yeah they've been anthropomorphized. There's a lot more going on below the surface, beyond the fictionalized human-like characterizations in the myths.

If the lycanthrope has an in between stage that is both human and animal, then I'd consider them to be anthropomorphic. Maybe even if the full animal form thinks the same way a human does.

But for now, a human brain and a human mind are what I have to work with. It is the window that I'm currently seeing the world through. Even if I started off as something else, this is how I'm experiencing things now. The anthro-hawk is easier to relate to right now. Similar to what Velvet said, my phantom limbs overlap my human body. My fingers and toes often end in talons. I get phantom feathers a lot. Sometimes my arms feel like wings and sometimes the wings stretch and flex on my back. Most of the time, it's the anthro form that I'm aware of.
thank you for replying to my thread! when did your spirit become a hawk, during a past life or this current life, or another time? do you have more kin/theriotypes besides the anthro hawk? do you think your kin/theriotype having human characteristics is influenced by your current human incarnation?

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
Genderfluid Pride
Pronouns
thank you for replying to my thread! when did your spirit become a hawk, during a past life or this current life, or another time? do you have more kin/theriotypes besides the anthro hawk? do you think your kin/theriotype having human characteristics is influenced by your current human incarnation?

My spirit became a hawk in a past life, a long time ago. That doesn't mean that it stopped being a spirit though. My spirit has been through many different incarnations and forms, but I don't count all of those as being kintypes, only the ones that made a lasting impression count. The hawk counts as a theriotype for me because it still feels like an important part of who I am. On the other hand, I've had a lot of partial lion shifts, but I don't feel like I am a lion in quite the same way, so I don't count it as a theriotype.

All those things you see in my signature are technically attributes of one single kintype. They look like different things, but there's one thing that connects all of them. I'm a partial incarnation of the god Horus. (Others might disagree, but I don't think full incarnations can happen because humans just don't have the physical, mental, or spiritual capacity to carry the entire being at once. In New Agey terms, everyone has a Higher Self, mine just happens to have a name that people have heard of.)

The human characteristics I think were deliberately chosen to make it easier to talk to humans. Being human now does have an influence on how I think and react to things. By being human I'm able to relate a lot better than I would if I'd never taken this form. I'm not really a human trying to be like a hawk, I'm a spirit that is learning what it's like to be human.

Last edited:

miqomineko

Pronouns
Feminine
It seems like this thread hasn't been used in a bit so idk if anyone will read this, but as I wasn't here when this was posted and my experience may be relevant...

I'm a nekomusume/cat girl. I have very strong emotional and spiritual feline attachments and attributes but I also am still mostly human. I also have phantom cat ears and a tail I can feel and often wear cat ears and a tail accessories go help me feel like my true self. To me being a cat girl just feels like me on an extremely strong level. But idk if I am a therian or not. I have felt this way about being a neko for many years since I was about 14. But I very recently realized that I may fall into the otherkin community. So I don't know if I would be considered therian or anything. But those who identify as human and animal def exist. 😺

D

Deleted member 55365

Unverified
I am not sure if my input is interesting, but:
I personally awakened because of the Wolfriders in Elfquest which is a tribe of elves with wolfblood (ancestry is shapeshifter and wolf). I identified with their animality while looking human(/fae) and started calling myself an elf too. I didn’t identify with the wolf part which is why I started to call myself a foxelf later. Not that I ever settled with fox, I have tried on many different animals in my life.

When I learned about the therian and otherkin community I was very sure about being a therian at first, I just didn’t know my theriotype. But as time goes on I notice my animality just isn’t quite on par with most therian experiences. I have never been part of the furry community and don’t really know what that is like but I wondered if that would fit my experiences and identity better and I also tried calling myself animal-hearted instead of therian... but I still don’t quite know where I fit when it comes to labels. Exactly because I am animalistic but perhaps anthropomorphic? I don’t get phantom shifts I think, not if I don’t specifically think about it so I don’t know if I’d be an anthropomorphic animal or like a cat-girl (with a different species) like I used to say fox-elf. As you said cat girls don’t count towards your question — I am not sure if I fit in either x)

I just wanted to reply because I do feel that animal in me but after being so set on it being therianthropy, I don’t know anymore.

Dimensioner21

Pronouns
Feminine
hey kinmunity! i wanted to ask you all, do any among you identify as an anthropomorphic animal therian/otherkin? do you think lycanthropes count as anthropomorphic animals, or no? why or why not?

context for why I ask this question: i am exploring my possible alterhumanity, specifically the possibility of being a therian, and i'm noticing that i feel more like an anthro animal than i do a feral animal. i don't feel as divorced from my personhood as i perceive therians do. i am fully open to the possibility that i simply am a human, but i was wondering if you all had any thoughts to offer on this topic.
I don’t know whether this will be read or not given how late I am posting but I am giving my personal opinion anyway. If you want to count werewolf kin as anthropomorphic identity, I am a Werewolf and Angel Otherkin. With the way I am, at first when I Awakened, I had times when the animalistic werewolf instincts would react to things and take over in a black vs white human logic awareness vs instinctual savage animal mind like you typically see in werewolf depictions, but as time went on and I practiced and gained experience, I assimilated the two parts of myself and balance them a lot better than before, learned to operate both in a dual sort of mindset, having both werewolf instincts and werewolf person intelligence, human instincts and human person intelligence, active at the same time. Sometimes the instincts will notice something before the conscious logical person part or one part can be focusing on one thing while the instinctive part is constantly scanning and keeping watch on my surroundings. To me, since I can maintain personhood intelligence and animalistic instincts active and working together simultaneously, or switch between either one, or have them both working at varying degrees between active and dormant in the back of the mind, since when werewolf shifted I move on all fours when instinctive and on two when intelligently aware, my form of werewolf would be considered an anthropomorphic kin type to me. To me, my human body is familiar, “me,” and feels right and natural, whereas with some other alter humans, their physical body feels completely alien and wrong and mismatched from what they feel they are inside. For me, the human body is me, right, fits, and belongs, but I feel as if I am missing other parts of myself, the werewolf shape shifting, body, sensory and physical capabilities and the angel wings and spiritual metaphysical capabilities. I have one third part of myself physically, but I feel as if the other two thirds are physically missing. I don’t feel like my soul is misplaced into a foreign wrong human body, but I feel as if I am physically incomplete, missing pieces of myself, physically restricted to just physically showing and being only one third part of myself. But in short, my answer is that as long as a werewolf of other were creatures kintypes have at least the capability to perceive the world the way a person would, whether capable of speech, human activities, or bipedal movements or not, when shifted, then yes, they would be counted as an anthropomorphic creature and a kin type. If you want to discuss more about werewolves or have any questions about my experience as a werewolf kintype, just send me a PM.