Any other flow artists out there? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Any other flow artists out there?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, & Art' started by Starborn, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Starborn

Starborn Wild Alien Witch

Bones:
    Ƀ145.63
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    Flow art/flow dance is a fairly uncommon art but it's making a comeback as a modern artistic and emotional expression. Flow arts include poi, contact staff, juggling and contact juggling, hula hooping, rope darts, fans, wands, diabolo, and buugeng. I'm curious to know if there are any other flow artists here. :)
    I, myself, am a hoopdancer and wand dancer. For anyone curious, I've posted a couple of my short videos below. :)

Flow wand/levitation wand:

Hula hoop:

#1 Starborn, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015
  2. Grey

Grey Doodle Dragon
    Staff Member Guardian Dragon

Chibi DragonGold Dragon CoinFerocious Obsidian DragonGold Otherkin Heptagram
    Bones:
    Ƀ2,019.71
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    Only the first video works, the others are marked as "private"

But OMG, YOU ARE LITERALLY MAGIC, HOW ARE YOU EVEN DOING THAT :OOO

• Like Like x 2
  3. Starborn

Bones:
    Ƀ145.63
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    Oops. I forgot I had those settings on my channel. XD There, changed them to unlisted. That should make them visible.

The wand is a really incredible prop! It is delicately balanced to keep it upright (but loses its balance when it is bumped), with a string threaded through the middle, which you attach to your finger. :)
    Sorry for the (shameless) self-promotion, but if you're interested in seeing more, you should check out my channel! :) There are also toooons of other wicked videos on Youtube of flow wand dancers and other awesome flow artists! ^_^

4. Skylark

Skylark Wild
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ36.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I'm not much of a solo dancer (although I do dance semi-often) but my interest in stagecraft and illusion magic is definitely piqued here.

Can I ask questions about it here, or is that better suited to PM or something?

5. Velvet Wings

Velvet Wings Feline of the Root
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Black CatTheta DeltaBioluminescent Wyvern
    Bones:
    Ƀ3,350.58
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    That wand is amazing. =o Now I want one.
    I used to have poi and diabolo's, but I didn't really know how to use them.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Starborn

Bones:
    Ƀ145.63
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    I'm happy to answer any questions you have here! :) And I'm glad I could pique at least one person's interest! It's my opinion that more people should get into flow art/illusion magic - it's incredibly meditative (it's my way of fighting my depression and anxiety disorder) and teaches a lot of balance and precise control over your body.

I love poi! I hope to maybe eventually work with them as well, and diabolo are really cool too! There are so many different props out there, and it can take a while to get the hang of them. Hooping has been tough for me to master, but the wand comes very naturally (I work with energy, and the motions are very much the same).

7. Skylark

Skylark Wild
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ36.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Yeah, it's really fun! I like illusion magic for the same reason Glamourbombing is an attractive concept - it makes people believe a little more that there's magic in the world.

Where did you get your wand from? How long have you been doing this sort of thing, and if you're willing to share, what gave you the inspiration to start?

• Like Like x 2
  8. AppyHeart

AppyHeart Equus Genus

Bones:
    Ƀ214.41
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Sorcery!! :O <33

• Like Like x 2
  9. Starborn

Bones:
    Ƀ145.63
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    Exactly! One of my favourite things in life is glamourbombing. That's why I love my wand so much - in fact, one of my super-religious employees confided in me that she actually had to look flow wands up to be sure it was attached to a string because it looked so real it freaked her out. That's glamourbombing at its finest, haha! :D

I bought mine from flowtoys.com. They have excellent products with great reputation and awesome prices. :)
    I started getting into flow in spring of 2014 when one of my besties gave me her old hula hoop. But it wasn't until very recently that I discovered the wand and decided to broaden my flow horizons. I asked my in-laws for it for Solstice, so I've only had a few days' practice with it, but it comes really naturally to me. :)
    As for my inspiration to start... I don't really know, to be honest. I guess it was when I first stumbled across some Youtube videos of people hooping. I had always loved dancing but never took classes and I always felt like I was too awkward to dance. I have always only thought myself graceful when I'm swimming or playing around in the woods. But when my friend passed on her hoop to me, it opened me up to try something new. It became more than just dance and exercise, or even about show to me. It became meditation and a way for me to fight my illnesses. It also helped me discover my balance, and learn discipline over my body. For the first time in my life, I actually feel graceful and elegant. Especially now with my wand. I feel like I was just meant for it, if that makes any sense.

I'm hoping to open more people up to the wonderful world of flow art/illusion performance. I know, of course, that not everything is for everyone, but knowing that picking it up has aided in coping with my anxiety and depression, I hope that maybe it can in turn help others. It's a great way of keeping your focus on something that takes up all of it and leaves no time for thought... that means you are in the moment instead of overthinking. I also feel that it is very attractive to nonhumans as there is something very tribal and powerful about it.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Skylark

Skylark Wild
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ36.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Very cool! I'll definitely look into it, thank you!

11. Velvet Wings

VIP Thoughtform Haven

Bones:
    Ƀ3,350.58
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    You've got me looking things up now. :p The LED flow toys are amazing to watch.

I quite like the idea of flow staffs. I used to be a majorette so (used to) know how to use a baton and I imagine it's a similar principle. Now I want to buy a load of this stuff to try. The wand is definitely the most magical, I love how it seems to levitate around you.

12. Velvet Wings

VIP Thoughtform Haven

Bones:
    Ƀ3,350.58
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Sorry to double post but I can't edit my last post anymore.

I got a wand. :3
    It arrived this morning and I've been having fun playing around with it. I really like the way it flows with your movements.
    @Starborn Are there any tutorials you'd recommend?

• Like Like x 2
  13. siobhan rosette

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.02
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I am not nearly coordinated or graceful enough to pull any of that off but that is so amazing dear lordy you're so ethereal.

14. Tammikuu

Tammikuu Little Lobo

Blue Wolf
    Bones:
    Ƀ938.15
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :)
    Wow this is amazing, I love the wand especially, its magical! I'm no way graceful enough or coordinated enough to try anything like this.

15. Elvode

Elvode Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ358.32
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Wow! This is so cool! Never heard of it actually, but it looks very cool.