Any Other Pagans On Here? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Any Other Pagans On Here?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by Eldrevy, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Eldrevy

Eldrevy Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ135.14
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Hello again Kinmunity! Welcome to my second thread.

Someone else may have already posted a thread like this, I don't know, but I wanted to ask. Any other Pagans on here? I'd like to meet some others who practice.

If you are pagan, which pantheon do you follow (if any)? Do you actively practice or is it just your general belief? Do you have others in your life who practice?

I haven't "chose" a pantheon, however I lean towards Eqyptian and Norse. I use to practice more, but lately I haven't had the spiritual motivation. However in recent days I've been more motivated, so we'll see what happens. I also have some close people who practice. I could safely call them my coven, even though it's not official. We just happen to do rituals together frequently. This includes My wife and I, and her friend and her friend's husband. The last time we did a ritual was last midsummer. I feel a little guilty about that, but we'll get back in it.

Anyway I'd like to hear about you guys!

--Eldrevy

2. Lot

Lot Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ79.97
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    Heya. Also pagan over here though most of my practice has been secular lately. I am interested in the Norse and Greek pantheons though. I practice on and off but have been pretty into it lately. I've been slowly drawing in two friends into it as well and they seem pretty excited about witchcraft, so that's been fun. I'm hoping to use said witchy practices to get a grasp of what the hell is going on with my kintype(s) because it seems to change every day. Hell maybe I could even learn to utilize it for rituals. Do you do anything like that in your practice?

3. readmybeak

readmybeak Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ62.37
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I hope this thread is more welcoming to pagans than the other one...

I am a witch. I prefer to keep my religious beliefs private, but I will say I don't follow any kind of pantheon that you might think of. That being said, I practice witchcraft every day. I do not believe in a need for a coven so I do not actively seek one out, but if someone else in my life started practicing I would not mind doing spellwork with them. My girlfriend believes in a pagan spirituality and magic but sadly she does not practice.

4. Eldrevy

Eldrevy Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ135.14
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I would like to, however It's difficult for me to induce a shift. However, when I do shift during rituals, it tends to be more powerful.
    Do you mind me asking why you keep it private? And what do you believe as your deity? I use to believe in the elements as my deity, however I've had personal experiences with certain gods that have made me more interested in growing a relationship with them. I don't believe in a need for a coven either. I just have a few other friends in my life that practice, and we tend to practice together regularly.

Also, it's okay that she doesn't practice. She believes in it, and that's enough to call someone a pagan. That's like if someone says they are Christian but don't actively go to church. That person is still Christian, even though they don't actively practice.

It's nice to see others that practice though.

5. FireSong

FireSong Wyrmling
    Alien/SpacekinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,001.07
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Wasn't there another thread like this...?

Anyway, yes, hello, reconstructionist polytheist pagan checking in. :) I don't really distinguish between practicing and nonpracticing since my religion permeates so much of just everday mundane life for me, but I do semi-regular prayer/offerings and household ritual, and have been thinking of checking out the local ADF grove when I move back to the city. For magic stuff I stick to folk magic, music, and energy work.

6. Eldrevy

Eldrevy Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ135.14
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    As said in my original post I figured there most likely was another thread like this, but I posted it anyway.

Back on topic though, I'd agree, everyday things from cooking to cleaning the house, to doing projects with my kids can be seen as religious practice. I've not read of folk magic, mind explaining a little of it to me? And music is a great way to raise energy before a ritual. However for me, silence is the easiest way for me to concentrate on raising energy.

It's interesting to see how there are just as much differences between pagan people as there are similarities.

7. FireSong

FireSong Wyrmling
    Alien/SpacekinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,001.07
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Sure! Folk magic basically just means stuff handed down in local folklore, and its usually practical and sort of 'low' magic. It varies depending on where you live and what culture your magic is based in.

So, for me, I grew up in sort of rural New England. A lot of the local magic is stuff farmers and craftsmen and sailors brought with them from England, Ireland, Scotland, and Germany, so some examples: hex signs, giving offerings to house spirits, lots of stuff about graveyards and land boundaries, hanging ribbons on trees and letting them fade for prayers, reading bird movements, making poppets, hand signs to ward things away, turning around before entering doors, couple things relating to harvest festivals. Then there's stuff that's totally modern! A lot of the modern folk magic in my area was either invented by whalers and is stuff about protecting your boat or sailors (not really applicable to me), or dates from the American Civil War. My favorite spell from the second one that I've done is a spell to get rid of rats: You write the rats a strongly worded letter in legalese and/or the style of an evangelical preacher telling them they're evicted and that your neighbor's house is a much better place to live, and shove it into the rat hole. :p That's one people used to do in Boston around the Civil War. Another 1800s New England folk spell is to make a witch bottle with dirt, a picture, and unpleasant things, and bury it in the side of your yard facing any unpleasant neighbors that you want to leave you alone.

8. Eldrevy

Eldrevy Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ135.14
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    That's very interesting. Kind of reminds me of some things in a Gypsy book I have laying around.

9. readmybeak

readmybeak Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ62.37
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Oh, I don't mind that she doesn't practice. My wording came off wrong, by "unfortunately" I just mean that it would be very fun if we could practice together. I don't push her to do anything she doesn't want to do however.

I keep my religious beliefs secret because they are very closely linked with my schiophrenia, and they are not what you would call, a typical pagan belief. It is very much completely constructed from a psychotic episode I had. So in a way I am embarrassed to share them, because I would not be able to handle someone telling me my beliefs are wrong or silly.

10. Eldrevy

Eldrevy Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ135.14
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Nobody can tell you your beliefs are wrong. If they do, you know that they are just terrible judgmental people and you shouldn't need their approval. They are nothing to you. Keep your head up and practice whatever religion you want because in the end it's YOUR religion, no one else's.

11. Spirit Fox

Spirit Fox Spawn
    DragonHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.45
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    i myself am not pagan, but im very interested in paganism and such

12. Eldrevy

Eldrevy Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ135.14
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Are you interested in learning about it or becoming pagan? Not trying to convert you or anything but if you'd like some places to start I can refer you to some books that helped me out a lot when I first got started.

13. Spirit Fox

Spirit Fox Spawn
    DragonHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.45
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    that would be nice, ive thought about it before but ive never really looked into it that much

14. Eldrevy

Eldrevy Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ135.14
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Well Scott Cunningham wrote a lot of very useful books for beginners. So anything from Scott Cunningham is worth a read for anyone getting into paganism. I'm a rather big fan of his work, as it's easy to understand and he's thorough and historically accurate when describing pagan history. A specific book I'd recommend by him is "Wicca A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner".

I actually just bought a book yesterday that was very interesting. Haven't finished the book yet obviously but so far it's very interesting. It's called "Awakening to the Spirit World" by Sandra Ingerman & Hank Wesselman. It's about Shamanic practice. I'd recommend checking it out. Shamanism is actually a very important thing to know about in paganism, as it is the most ancient spiritual practice known to humans.

Also, it's important to know the "Holidays" of paganism, and the pagan calendar. A book called "Ancient Ways" by Pauline Campanelli can help with that, and also how to celebrate/prepare for said "Holidays" (Known as Sabbats and Esbats).

I could go on but honestly, this is a lot of reading material right here. Check em out! Hope I was helpful.

15. Spirit Fox

Spirit Fox Spawn
    DragonHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.45
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    ah! thank you so much! ill definantly look into these!

16. Eldrevy

Eldrevy Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ135.14
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Cool. I recommend keeping a journal. It helped me anyway, might be different for you.

17. Obsydian

Obsydian Pallas Cat
    Feline

Chibi Cat
    Bones:
    Ƀ31.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    I work with the Egyptian pantheon as I'm with the kemetic orthodoxy.

18. FireSong

FireSong Wyrmling
    Alien/SpacekinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,001.07
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    For a more general overview, Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler goes over all the different neopagan movements and their histories, more than just Wicca which the Cunningham book talks about. Not all of them follow the same 8 holidays either, so if you're interested that might be a read you enjoy.

19. Mist Howler

Mist Howler Tofu-Eating Reptilian
    Staff Member Guardian VIP Alien/Spacekin

Blue Shift PhilterSparkling PhilterVoice KeyGold VIP - Six Month Subcription
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,631.26
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Mood:
    :angel:
    I do find that this thread is much better and less antagonizing as the previous. Before the forum went down, I had a post there, but it got eaten. So, I'll just post here instead. c:

Anywho, I'm a solitary Eclectic Wiccan Witch and my beliefs on both fronts are a little bit out of the ordinary.

So yes, I am a Wiccan. It is a nature-based religion that was founded in the 1950s (it's not ancient, by any means). I know that Wiccans have the belief of there being a “god” and a “goddess” or a “male” and “female” deity. I don't know if I can wrap my head around a pair of deities being male and female or having a gender all together; I find it to be a rather alien (hardy har) concept to me. I do believe in two opposite, forces; a duality. While I do believe that there are forces that are contrary to one another, but complimentary to each other. Light and dark, life and death, and all things similar to that. Also, these forces are not a “good” vs “evil” kind of comparison either. In a way, it is similar to the concept of yin and yang, but I find these forces to be “living” and “constant”. With that said, I do not follow any pantheon or have a set of “gods”/”goddesses”, just that the duality and the concept of complimentary forces that makes the wheel of life turn.

In that respect, I could say that my craft is more secular, in nature than having to have deities being a part of my craft. From candle magic, to using the energy within myself for healing others, as well as using gemstones, I do incorporate a lot into my practice. I also try to add a little bit of magic in my own artwork as well. Also, I am more of a Kitchen Witch more than anything and I love adding my own personal touches and energy into the food that I am making as well as adding more positive / airy energy to my surroundings. I do celebrate the Sabbats (more season / hearth-oriented than goddess / god oriented, really), but not so much of the Esbats (I really need to get into the habit, in all honesty).

I do not have a group that I practice my craft with. Though, I do celebrate with my best friend during the Sabbats as well as doing witchy stuff here and there, but I do the majority of my practice alone. I do not search for a coven, nor do I feel like I want to be a part of one. I feel that it's very personal and I feel more accomplished when I am practicing alone.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Eldrevy

Eldrevy Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ135.14
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Ah I've been meaning to read that. I haven't had the money to go out of town to the closest pagan store. I recommend reading the book Wicca by Cunningham still. It's very informative nonetheless.

Personally I don't consider myself Wiccan. I'm sort of an all around pagan. I have my own little set of beliefs that are kind of unique. It really involves a little of everything.

But thank you for the great recommendation!