Are you ever too old to read YA novels? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Are you ever too old to read YA novels?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, & Art' started by Norintha, Oct 23, 2015.

1. Norintha

Norintha Spawn

Voice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ29.77
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    I've heard different opinions on how old you have to be to read YA (Young Adult) novels. I hear a lot of people saying that its not ok to read them because they are focused to teenagers and not adults. I personally love YA novels. I think some of them are very creative and fun to read. What do you guys think?

2. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

CrowBarghest
    Bones:
    Ƀ713.50
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    The people saying you can be too old to read YA novels are boring. Granted there are different levels of YA, and novels aimed at early teens may not hold an adults attention as well as one aimed at older teens. But, the ones aimed at mid-to-late teens often contain themes and scenarios that are commonly found in adult lit. The lines between YA and adult are very blurred, and what is actually considered YA is often very subjective. I've often found that YA authors have more freedom with what they are allowed to do, which allows for much richer storytelling (especially in fantasy genres).

So in short, no, I don't think you can be too old to enjoy YA novels.

P.S. This is coming from someone doing a PhD in literature, focusing specifically on YA lit.

3. Nyht Myst

Nyht Myst The Element System
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ138.65
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    My friends and I all ranging from 20-30 years old still read YA books and some of our favorites are YA, I almost bet you that the people that tell you you're too old to be reading those book probably also think cartoons are also for kids; age shouldn't dictate what you like and what you don't, as an example they are publishing adult coloring books now.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p
    Staff Member Administrator

Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relaxed:
    Can you be too old to like Pokemon? Can you be too old to play video games? I disagree with the notion of being "too old" to consume certain media. It's about as stupid as gender stereotyping.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Tammikuu

Tammikuu Little Lobo

Blue Wolf
    Bones:
    Ƀ938.15
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :)
    Some of my favourite books are classed as YA, I agree with St Claire in that I think that YA authors do have more freedom and as a result I find the stories more interesting. So no I don't think you can be too old for YA.

6. Raijun

Raijun Now with 40% less almond
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    Some of my favorite works of literature are contained within the Young Adult area. My all-time favorite book series, The Nine Lives of Chloe King, lies dormant within it, awaiting its next newest rabid fan. As per the link, there was also a TV Show based on it but that's neither here nor there.

I'm probably just speaking from first impressions though. First impressions are still everything, and all the fond feelings we have come from them. It's no surprise people still love the Young Adult section's contents.