"Artificial" Meat - Would You Eat It?

Would You Eat Cultured Meat?

• Yes

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters
Cultured meat, also called synthetic meat, cell-cultured meat, clean meat, and in vitro meat, is meat grown in cell culture instead of inside animals. It is presumed that the consumption of such a product could solve many problems associated with traditional agriculture, such as the effect on the environment and animal cruelty. Some suggest it may even be healthier than traditional meat, as cultured meat would not need antibiotics. My question to you is this: supposing it is indistinguishable from traditional meat in appearance, taste, and texture, would you eat it, knowing it was grown in a lab and not in an animal? Either way, why? I would especially like to hear any vegetarians or vegans opinion on the matter.

I think I would, personally. Once the process is sufficiently refined to bring the cost down, I can only see benefits to it all.

Fieron

I would eat lab-grown meat because I will eat almost anything put in front of me and I am willing to try anything a few times if possible, before forming an opinion on it. While I am not vegan or vegetarian due to current circumstances, I do not like knowing what I eat has probably been abused in the case of factory farmed animals. This would undoubtedly give me peace of mind regarding that.

Charias

Wandering Wolf
Absolutely! I can't stand farming practices at all, so anything to cut out the animal cruelty but still allow me to enjoy a burger every now and then would be awesome! I do still eat meat, but it makes me a little sick when I think about what all those animals go through just so we can have some food that tastes good. I'd totally just eat hunted meat if I had the money (it tastes better, anyway) - hell, I'd even hunt my own. Synthetic meat would be even better, though. Hunting is unsustainable, farming is cruel and bad for the environment. I think cultured meat is our best bet for having a healthy, sustainable and environmentally-friendly source of meat.

I would, for sure. I love meat, but as someone who calls themself an animal lover, I always feel hypocritical when I eat it (especially meat from unknown sources where I can't tell if the animal had a horrible life). This would totally solve that problem. Plus, I assume cultured meat doesn't eat or roam around much, so we could get back a bunch of land that's currently farms/pasture. Even if I couldn't care less about animals or the environment, I'll eat basically anything, so it's 100% fine.

Gryneos

Hopefully, I won't be the only one here and on your poll choosing to not eat any meat, cultured or otherwise ;-)

It's been so long since I ate meat of any kind that it would likely make me physically ill at this point. Often the aroma alone is enough to provoke the gag reflex; I just have to ignore/suppress that urge.

I don't have a problem with others eating it, and yes, it would be great for however it would eliminate environmental damage with current methods. It may still have impacts of its own, as we don't know what the mass-production process will be like, including its waste-stream and overall energy-use. I would hope that would be managed better than the waste-stream from present-day animal production industries (for example, effluent from hog farms.)

I do hope it catches on and people end up eating synthetic meat primarily. There will still be those few holding on to things like Kobe beef and such, but those will be the same kind of luxuries they are today. And I'll continue to consume faux meat from plant and fungus sources :-)

Lab grown meat is a fantastic idea, and I hope it can come to replace the current meat industry in the future, but as I am quite cynical when it comes to humanity, I doubt when that day comes it will be pretty. And I think it will be a controversial topic for a long time and I believe the majority of individuals would rather kill and eat the flesh because that is what they are used too rather then the more humane artificially grown meat that would probably seem scary and gross to most.

I will however stick with vegetables and fruits.

Gonna be the black sheep here and say that I would not want to eat lab-produced meat. For me, it's an issue of trust. I don't trust people as much as nature, there's just some powers humans shouldn't have.

AshenFall

Floofmaster
VIP
I'm on the fence about whether I would eat such food or not. I'm already careful about the meat I eat, ensuring as best I can, when I can, that the animals came from free range farms and were disposed of humanely. I'm a meat lover so I'm biased, but as a naturally omnivorous species I've never seen issue with our farming of animals as long as we ensure a good quality of life for those animals. After all, every other omnivore kills and eats animals, often far more inhumanely and long-drawn out than human methods. 

If it was indistinguishable from true meat and is a viable option for the future then sure, I'd be happy to! I do agree in that regard if there were no strings attached it would ease my conscience knowing no living animals had been killed to make my food. I'd readily change my options. If there was a way for them to create an allergy-free form of existing meats then I'd be even happier. 

But my qualms with such a product is that at the end of the day it isn't "natural" and that worries me. How can we know that additives and harmful substances haven't been used in the creation process in order to make it as close to real meat? Not intentionally of course, but as a by-product of the methods to obtain true-to-life meat. Sure, sometimes GM products can be totally fine and better alternatives, but there's always that niggling worry at the back of my mind. At least with a direct slab of meat from a living animal you know that it's natural. If I were to buy a synthetic hunk of meat I'd be a lot more nervous, especially not knowing whether the provider is trustworthy or not.  

Shezep

Holy Birb
VIP
If the price comes down to where it is cheaper than farm grown meat, which I predict it will if they develop it properly, then yes I'd eat it. (Assuming the meat industry lobbyists don't try to kill it!) I already get sticker shock when buying meat at the grocery and tend to stick to cheaper cuts. I would predict that in the future, farm grown meat will become more of a luxury item. If people are paying more for it as a luxury item, they will probably demand more humane practices to go along with that, like free range. Lab meat would probably drive some of the discount factory farms out of business. People will lose jobs, considering that technology usually requires fewer people to tend to it. Some of the nondesigner farm animals will decrease in population if not disappear altogether. True, they might be better off, but it is something to consider. Humans are more likely to care for animals that they see as being valuable. Also, if lab meat is considered a cheap alternative to farm meat, then it will get a reputation as being for poor people, which might lead to health standards slipping. Everything in life is a juggling act.  

MechanicJasper

Autonomous and Anxious Android
Depending on the success of the product and the price, yeah I'd eat it. Still tastes decent, gives me enough nutrients to work Lighting crew calls on, and costs less than actual meat, it's going in my grocery basket.

Hehe, I've spent too long being dead-broke, I'll eat nearly anything if it's cheap enough.

Mist Howler

Tofu-Eating Reptilian
VIP
What an interesting topic. I will be more than happy to contribute. c: My omnivorous alien kintype is advanced with bio technology. From what I understand, used cellular agriculture ("lab-grown meat") as their main food supply. Anytime I hear this kind of topic being passed around makes me feel a little giddy. cx

Kintype aside, I am a vegan and I have been for a good several years. I am a vegan because I want to reduce the harm caused to sentient beings to the best of my ability. I do admit, having cultured meat is a very good start to having cruelty-free products and to reduce the
Environmental Impact of Animal Agriculture. Though it is still in the theoretical stages and it is not yet proven, it appears that cultured meat would greatly reduce environmental impact. Lab-grown meat that would reduce the suffering on our animals and our planet? Sign me up! As a vegan who wants to have a teeny carbon-footprint, I am ecstatic to hear that sort of news!

However, it is all still in its early stages. The creation of in vitro meat will be made
in factories to develop this product. So, we do have a trade-off to think about. Another thing that I would take into account is that the cultured meat themselves would be made from the stem cells of living animals. Even so, the most efficient way of extracting those stem cells is by slaughtering those animals that are needed. Another is the growth medium used for the extracted cells. So, in that case, it is still not cruelty-free nor vegan.

So, as is, I will not go ahead and eat the products. I still will say that this is a very good start in the right direction.

Nyht Myst

The Element System
My first and most important concern (assuming for this thread that it has no short or long term issues in consuming it and it tastes like the actual thing) is does it by pass the red meat allergy?  Given the very restrictive diet I've has to take on and my allergies to two types of red meat already I'm having to seriously think differently on these synthetic or altered foods simply because the area I live in isn't equipped for someone like me.  If it does by pass the meat allergy then it will certainly be put on my list of things to try as scientists say that if you are allergic to one type of meat you run much higher risks of becoming allergic to other types of meat, and synthetic meat could become the only way I (and those with meat allergies) could have meat.

~Nyht~

My first and most important concern (assuming for this thread that it has no short or long term issues in consuming it and it tastes like the actual thing) is does it by pass the red meat allergy?  Given the very restrictive diet I've has to take on and my allergies to two types of red meat already I'm having to seriously think differently on these synthetic or altered foods simply because the area I live in isn't equipped for someone like me.  If it does by pass the meat allergy then it will certainly be put on my list of things to try as scientists say that if you are allergic to one type of meat you run much higher risks of becoming allergic to other types of meat, and synthetic meat could become the only way I (and those with meat allergies) could have meat.

~Nyht~
Unfortunately, this particular method of making artificial meat is unlikely to pass that test. It's grown from existing cells and is, for all intents and purposes, real meat. The difference is that it grows in a cell culture as opposed to inside an animal. Since the cells are the same, I don't think you'd be able to eat it if you have an allergy to traditional meat.

That really sucks though. I can't imagine what you have to go through daily to avoid anything that's touched red meat. I hope they do come up with a solution that works for you and others with that allergy.

Nah.

Not because it's artificial but rather because the only meat I like is fish and I've yet to see that produced. If they do make that then sure.

Nyht Myst

The Element System
Unfortunately, this particular method of making artificial meat is unlikely to pass that test. It's grown from existing cells and is, for all intents and purposes, real meat. The difference is that it grows in a cell culture as opposed to inside an animal. Since the cells are the same, I don't think you'd be able to eat it if you have an allergy to traditional meat.

That really sucks though. I can't imagine what you have to go through daily to avoid anything that's touched red meat. I hope they do come up with a solution that works for you and others with that allergy.
Its only a matter of time, they've expressed interest in creating edible matter with 3D printing, I'm not sure how they expect to pull it off, but they are looking into alternitive ways to produce food organic amd synthetic a like.

~Nyht~

Its only a matter of time, they've expressed interest in creating edible matter with 3D printing, I'm not sure how they expect to pull it off, but they are looking into alternitive ways to produce food organic amd synthetic a like.

~Nyht~
That's honestly one of the things I'm looking forward to. If the base materials are manufactured at such a rate and cost that it becomes practical, we may very well be close to food replicators similar to what is imagined in Star Trek. I've already seen some very interesting foods that can only be made by artificial means. The whole industry will be a very interesting thing to observe in the years to come.

Velvet Wings

Feline of the Root
Guardian
VIP
I might try it, although as someone who dislikes the taste of most meat it's not something I'd eat regularly.

I do like the idea of it, though.

I'd agree to eating lab-grown meat. There are a lot of unique possibilities with this innovation, such as less waste and more control over how the meat grows. It can lower animal cruelty and we can make disease-free and sanitary meat without much of a situation. Heck, even our food supply can be bolstered thanks to this. 

Though, at the same time there are some situations with lab-growing, such as when we want to make chicken legs or the like. I mean, we can replicate muscle cells, but I haven't seen whole legs replicated for now. 

Overall, it would be interesting to see where lab-grown meat goes. Maybe within a few years this practice could be more widespread.