Atheism & Otherkin | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Atheism & Otherkin

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by Murkrowzy, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Murkrowzy

Murkrowzy Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ243.72
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I'm not sure where to put this, as Atheism isnt a religion, but it often gets dragged into that area.

Atheism is defined as the lack of belief/disbelief in a deity. It is *NOT* the belief there are no gods (because that's a belief).

What usually follows with atheism is the lack of believing in supernatural things, like ghosts, spirits & the like. It usually extends to things like reincarnation, past lives; to many atheists, anything supernatural requires super good evidence. Many atheists dont believe in supernatural things, but there are plenty who are spiritual, perhaps more in tune with the universe. I think I lie somewhere in there.

As an atheist otherkin, I don't believe in deities, but my brain tells me I should be a cat. While I dont necessarily believe it's reincarnation (I am open to the possibility), I do think it's more of a brain wiring thing. I would say it's phantom limb syndrome, but it's a tricky thing to get into. Even more so, some ppl compare it to being transgender, but the only thing I see about that is your brain/body is telling you that you're something you're not & it's wrong, that it should be fixed. Like if you're born male but your body is telling you you should be female, otherkin would be that you're born human but your body is telling you you should be a cat, dragon, etc. This is controversial to many, but it could be one of many possible explanations.

While I dont really believe in supernatural stuff, like ghosts, I'm very agnostic about them existing. More like if they exist, cool! If they dont, cool! I've had experiences in the past with auras, feelings, dreams & such that lead me to believe in some of these things, but not all of them. Perhaps more on an earthly, realistic scale. I find them very fascinating to talk & think about.

I dont mean to offend, I'm just stating my beliefs & opinions. Are any of you atheist, agnostic or perhaps deists, but also otherkin as well? What do you think makes you otherkin? To theists, what are your opinions on atheists, atheist otherkin & the like? Is your religion related to your otherkinity?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Seraphyna

Seraphyna Curmudgeony Shlion
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ3,822.23
    Theta DeltaSharkFemale Lion
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :oldwoman:
    I'm a non-spiritual atheist. I don't believe in a higher power, I don't believe in spiritual concepts. It would take very convincing evidence to change my mind and, until then, I won't be holding my breath.

I personally believe that my identity is caused by my brain...plain and simple. Be it because of something that is physically different about my brain or something in the realm of psychology...or a mix of the two.

• Like Like x 3
  3. House of Chimeras

House of Chimeras Book-loving Historians
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ528.07
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    The bulk of our multiple system is made up of mostly agnostic (poly)theists with a few more nature-loving atheists and one person who considers himself a "apatheist" ( its not that he believes nor doesn't believe if any gods exists - he just doesn't care either way). We're actually the black-sheep in our family as all of our immediate family is non-religious. (Only a few people in our family flat-out call themselves atheist though.) Our system was actually raised non-religious.

So given our upbringing and our agnostic and very secular views on many things we actually really enjoy aspects of the "atheist community." We're perfectly okay with seeing our beliefs/experiences in a psychological light as much as a spiritual one. (Same with out multiplicity and our otherkinity - we can see it either way so can ponder either side of the viewpoints on those topics as well.)

So, naturally, we don't have an issue with otherkin who are also atheist same as we don't have issue with non-kin who are atheist.

- Z (male, snowy owl)

4. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

Bones:
    Ƀ719.01
    CrowBarghest
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    Going by your definition I'm not sure if I'm considered atheist, antitheist, or both. I straight up dont believe that gods exist, and I disagree with/don't like the idea of organised religion. Although I have no problem with actual religious people, and I don't judge people based on their beliefs.

Regardless, I am actually a pretty spiritual person. Although I'm also very skeptical about my own beliefs. This comes from being raised in a sort of mixed household. My father is religious, though not actively so, but doesn't believe in any spiritual stuff. He's a very practical man and was happy to let my mother raise my sisters and I in an atheist environment. My mother, predictably, is atheist, but she is also very spiritual (more-so than me). I remember her practicing witchcraft when I was younger, placing crystals out in lightning storms to charge them, and using essential oils in the house to improve energy or cure sleeping problems. They were both happy to let me form my own beliefs. When I indicated at an early age that I believe in reincarnation neither of them challenged it, and mum actually encouraged the belief.

As for my skepticism towards my other spiritual beliefs...

I believe in ghosts, but I don't believe their existance can be proven. I don't think their voice or image can be captured on film, and I especially don't think they can be recorded in digital media. Though I do enjoy watching "real" ghost shows, just for how ridiculous the hosts often make themselves look.

I also believe in spirits (duh, I am one), and I do believe that I have encountered some. But, I have also considered, and continue to consider, that these sightings may be hallucinations. Considering I have been mentally ill from a young age, and have had other (minor) hallucinations in the past this theory is well within the realm of possibility.

Same goes for guide/spirit animals. I believe mine is a spider, but all the sightings could have just been hallucinations.

In regards to my own otherkin identities, one is spiritual (misplaced soul) and the other is psychological *shrug*. I don't really think there's any belief system that would prevent someone from identifying as otherkin or therian, just ones that would prevent people from identifying as such in a spiritual manner. As I've said before, I don't judge people based religious affiliation, and that goes for both 'kin and non-kin.

5. Edan

Edan Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ198.90
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    I have grown up in a strictly atheist household. I have taken over those beliefs from my parents but through my own experiences have become to believe in other things. I don't believe in a creator or god of any sort because for the most part science has proven how our planet was created over time. I do believe in reincarnation though. The word that best explains what I believe is Metempsychosis, meaning that the soul of an animal, plant, human or something else transmigrates to another body whether it be of the same species or different. I often question my spirituality and my identity as a therian.

6. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur
    Elder Your Kintype is What

Bones:
    Ƀ1,816.75
    Chibi DragonBrimstone DemonMustang
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :hushedface:
    At the baseline I'm a very logic and science-based person. However, at the same time, I strongly believe (and have, in some form or another, believed for most of my life) that I am a non-human spirit in a human body. That requires several other spiritual beliefs, which I believe because they tie back to that one. In other words, I believe in spiritual things more because they're necessary for my identity than because they make sense to me.

As for deities and the like, well, I have no idea. I believe there's probably some sort of higher power, also because of my identity. There must be something sorting spirits for mine to have ended up in the wrong kind of body. And because of my kin type, I'm slightly inclined towards believing in the ancient Greek gods (especially Pan), though I would never say that I actually believe in them. It's more that I'm more open to the possibility than I otherwise would be. But either way, I don't follow any sort of religion. I believe that if there are higher powers out there, they don't care about us worshiping them.

So my beliefs are sort of a hodgepodge; I believe in just enough for my beliefs about my identity to make sense, and otherwise I'm pretty rational.

7. FaerieForged

FaerieForged The Draconic Elf and the Doom Floof
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,388.31
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    I am a monotheistic, druidic Christian. I grew up in an evangelical Christian home, with the majority of my family being Christian or Catholic, only one or two agnostics. My inner circle is a pretty even split between theists, agnostics, and atheists. I judge people on a individual basis, not because of their beliefs or lack or beliefs. I've met very kind, compassionate atheists. And very rude, hateful religious people.
    My religion really has no bearing on my reasoning for being otherkin. In fact it took a lot of study to reconcile what I used to think were two things that could not coexist. For the most part I believe my kintypes are spiritual in nature, except for my otter theriotype which I attribute to a psychological reason.

8. humminghawk

humminghawk Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ198.26
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    I was raised Catholic but never really bought into it. Over my years I've had many profound experiences which have shaped my perspective into what I could most accurately term Shamanistic. The world is Mystery, and I have accepted the awesome nature of the Unknown. I am open to whatever enters my experience, and don't believe anything fully unless I have experienced it myself, at which point it becomes true knowledge.

Concerning atheism as a non-religion, I get what you mean, but I disagree, based on how some (many?) atheists "practice". While I may not call it a religion outright, it certainly has many qualities that constitute a religion. It is made up of a group of people who all participate in a similar perspective (I will not use the term "belief" here), and who actively share that perspective with others, even so far as debating with people who participate in opposing perspectives.

Concerning otherkin, my worldview is inherently linked with it. Or perhaps it is more accurate to say that otherkinity fits well into the perspective which I have developed, which has developed within me, as result of my subjective experiences. All things are interconnected, throughout time and space, and there are physical mechanisms which absolutely exist but which have not been explained as of yet by mainstream human science. Any practitioner of any "spiritual" art — and I use the term "spiritual" to describe aspects of physical existence which are too subtle to have been detected and explained via modern scientific methods — will understand this, as they will have experienced it for themselves.

Thanks for sharing :)
    Peace,
    Devin

9. kiror

kiror Fuzzy Mirror
    Staff Member Deputy Admin Elder VIP

Bones:
    Ƀ131.01
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    I have the lack of the belief that a deity exists. I don't believe that the supernatural can interact with this reality, which makes them irrelevant existing or not; however, the idea of past lives doesn't seem to be an absurd.

Previous personal experiences and psychological characteristics.

10. fellowtraveler

Bones:
    Ƀ24.05
    Black Cat
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    I'm an atheist. All our current alters are. And yet, we believe in reincarnation, because we have memories from past lives.

But our atheism is kind of constructed? I have a brief time window when I can even think about this, but we've had really bad experiences with religion pertaining to our mental health, so we tend to avoid partaking in it altogether. (This is one of the reasons we don't meditate to heighten our knowledge of past lives; the others are how much we genuinely want to know about those lives, and our inability to meditate LMAO.)

Being otherkin is different, because those of us who are connected to certain past lives have memories that are definitely from those lives. If that makes sense?