Biology | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Biology

Discussion in 'Science, Math, & Technology' started by FormerUser, Aug 23, 2015.

1. FormerUser

FormerUser Guest

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Anyone need help with it? Or enjoy biology?

2. Kimber

Kimber Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.16
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I personally greatly enjoy biology along with chemistry. I've never had any sort of formal training or education on the subject besides your basic high school, but have since self taught myself a fair bit about it.
    It's always nice to talk back and forth with someone else who's both knowledgeable and enthusiastic on the subject because that usually means I get to learn something new, and I adore learning new things.

So question for you then, Drina. You ask if people need help with it, so is it safe to assume you have a fair bit of knowledge on the subject?

3. FormerUser

FormerUser Guest

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Yes, it is safe. I have learned biology since 3rd grade and made my way up to learn more new things.Biology is my all time favorite subject and I also learn new things at home if I ever have time to. I will say I do know mostly about animals, the human structure ( both inside and out ), health, and cells. Plants never really caught my interest, but I still learn new things about them and will try to help on that, because most of the medicine we use come from plants itself, so it is important to learn about them also to know which can be eaten, how the plants grow, how to know when they are in full bloom, etc.
    Overall, my answer is yes it is safe to ask me questions c:

4. Invisus

Invisus Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ7.60
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    ;)
    To be honest, I failed the actual class (because I was never there and when I was, I didn't do anything except sleep) but scored "Above Mastery Level" (thanks to all of the stuff I already knew without the help of the class) on the end of course exam...I guess you can say I enjoy biology but as long as I'm learning at my own rate and not someone else's.

5. Bran

Bran Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    Well, I almost got a minor in it. But really I always found that biology just obscured the geology :p.
    I like it in an indirect way. Quaternary paleontology specifically.

6. Spiritual Hunters

Spiritual Hunters The Cajun System
    Elder Plural Life

Bones:
    Ƀ128.35
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    My college classes were pretty interesting and I adore making comments like "fruit for biologist is different than fruit for a culinary student". I love learning about biology because it's our bare processes. It's what makes us tick and human beings and I find it fascinating and enjoyable.

~Jessie

7. Dinocanid

Dinocanid Living matryoshka doll
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ54.45
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    It's my favorite science subject, as it involves evolution and the like. I definitely wouldn't want to major in it though.

8. AshenFall

AshenFall Danger Floof
    Staff Member Guardian Elder VIP Thoughtform Haven

Direflame PhilterBold PhilterMidnight Neon PhilterFerocious Orange Dragon
    Bones:
    Ƀ82.11
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    Biology was one of my favourite subjects at schoolfor definit, it''s alwats interested me. And then when I left school I was lucky enough to be able to go to a local agricultural college to learn Animal Care and Management and one of our classes there was Animal Biology, which, no surprise, was my favourite. :)

9. Allos

Allos Muddy Dragon of the Swamp
    Staff Member Community Manager Elder VIP Swamp Lurker

Midnight Neon PhilterBold PhilterMud PhilterVanishing PhilterGold VIP - One Year SubscriptionBronze Dragon CoinSilver Dragon CoinGold Dragon CoinBlack DragonFerocious Obsidian DragonGrey Raptor
    Bones:
    Ƀ11.40
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I wasn't really a fan of biology at school/college mainly because it was mostly cellular molecular and genetic stuff at least at uni we do a lot of animal morphology, anatomy, behaviour and ecology which is nice. Only really interested in the reptiles/birds though, at least I get to learn more about them this year.

10. Seraphyna

Seraphyna Curmudgeony Shlion
    Elder

Theta DeltaSharkFemale Lion
    Bones:
    Ƀ3,751.67
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :oldwoman:
    My degree is in it...so I'd say I enjoy it :p

11. Hopper

Hopper Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.06
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I like it quite a bit and am majoring in it. It is a lot of work, but is very interesting.

12. Smooth Jazz Mann

Smooth Jazz Mann Resident Demon of Jazz
    VIP Demonkin

Silver VIP - Six Month Subscription
    Bones:
    Ƀ104.62
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    I'm taking Biology this year in high school... That's about the extent of my intrest.

13. MeltingCORE

MeltingCORE Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ13.05
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I'm in college and am taking Biology 101 as a required credit. I really enjoy the class and understand the material fairly easy. I'm really excited because I have to go to the zoo for our end-of-semester project! (We have to identify specific animal species.) And last class I got to observe my own cheek cells under the microscope. It was a strange experience seeing something that's apart of me that's so tiny yet vital. We have standard microscopes in our lab so I couldn't see all the organelles, but I was able to identify the nucleus. But yeah, I'd say I like Biology. Animals in general are just amazing tbh. I love learning about them. So should I ask @Drina and @Seraphyna if I need help with my homework lol? : p

14. Hyenas

Hyenas Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.13
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    I am so crazy about Biology. It's easy for me because a lot of things they teach I already know solely because I choose to research all sorts of things relating to it. Nature absolutely fascinates me. I've considered being a zoologist, though that's sort of fading as it's very competitive, apparently on the fall in demand, and it requires specific places for you to work at. I also despise academics, and being in college for very long is not pleasing to me. I'm considering maybe working for a wildlife rehabilitation program, although I haven't been looking much into it. For now, my plan was to be a game designer, which I also also quite into. I'm honestly still unsure.

15. Rocket

Rocket Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ1.50
    Primary Identity:
    Kitsune
    I love biology, or zoology, more specifically. This interest, however, is almost exclusively limited to canids, which is why I doubt I'd find majoring in the subject particularly enjoyable, seeing as I'd have to learn about all kinds of vertebrates and invertebrates. For now, I'm satisfied reading books on particular species or genera.

16. Hyenas

Hyenas Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.13
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Perhaps consider giving other species a chance? You'll probably surprise yourself and discover a new animal you're interested in. I'd personally recommend hyenas (who would've guessed?) if you don't know much about them, specifically spotted hyenas. They're amazingly intelligent with a lot of interesting traits and abilities. Maybe try them out and see how you like them, as an example?

You could look into being a dog behaviorist, or you could go into zoology and do research on wild canines, or you could work at a zoo or sanctuary with them. Inevitably, you will have to learn things you don't care for or need in your journey to your dream career. It'll be worth it in the end, though. Of course, trying to find interest in other species would make the whole process more enjoyable. Looking specifically just to work with canines is much more difficult, and I think tons of other species are very interesting!

17. Rocket

Rocket Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ1.50
    Primary Identity:
    Kitsune
    Well, maybe I was exaggerating a little when I said I don't really care for other species. I also like most predatory birds, certain felines, raccoon, hyenas (I even thought it was my theriotype for a short while), and various other vertebrates.
    My main concern is that there are not very many jobs in the fields you mentioned. Sure, if I try hard enough and participate in internships, I' might land a job I'm happy with, but, compared with the job market for other degrees I've considered, my chances at success within a couple years of graduating are slim. This is very pertinent due to the fact that I'll be taking out loans to finance my education, so a return on that investment is my overall goal.
    Ideally, I would like to study wildlife within my state--particularly the gray fox, about which very few behavioral or ecological studies have been conducted--and I wouldn't mind being a teacher either. I guess I just keep convincing myself, especially with all the media circulating about college graduates having to work in retail with crippling student loan debt, that I have to be absolutely sure that I'll find a job that meets my needs.
    Maybe I'm just too afraid of failure to take a risk.

18. Hyenas

Hyenas Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.13
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    @Rocket
    That was also my concern. As I mentioned in my first post on the thread, there are a lot of issues that make getting into zoology (especially mammology) very risky, and I don't want to take a risk that big just entering the real world. I am very into video game design, although I'd rather work on my game ideas separate from the company because companies care for little else but money so they would ruin it, sadly. So that makes me want to be able to have a job with animals and to work on games in my free time, but it just can't be zoology. Now I'm looking into being a wildlife rehabilitator, although that doesn't get as much as anything else I'm interested in, but I think it's what I'd be happiest with. I couldn't stand being in college long enough to get even a master's, probably. The jobs that pay are normally ones passionate people wouldn't wanna do so. : P I'll make it work.

19. Rocket

Rocket Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ1.50
    Primary Identity:
    Kitsune
    Hey, if you're dedicated, then best of luck to you ^_^ We need folks like that to make sure that our wildlife is looked after. I myself will probably keep biology as a minor, although I might go on to get a full-on degree in it after I get my first one.

20. Redfang

Redfang Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ4.50
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I have some knowledge on biology, it is most self taught. I really want my career to involve animals, and I am currently trying to foster animals (cats of course) again. When I was younger my mom and my friends mom did animal rescue out of our houses and I was taught how to give the cats medication and I aided in giving them IV's. That sparked my interest in animals even more. I am also trying to be a volunteer for a local wildlife center. I hope they accept me!