Book Recs for 'Kin | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Book Recs for 'Kin

Discussion in 'Books, Music, & Art' started by Cipher, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Black Winged AngelChibi DragonBrimstone Demon
    Bones:
    Ƀ845.20
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    Didn't just want to put the title as 'Book Recs', because these are specifically books I think are interesting reads for otherkin/therians or relate to common topics in the community.

Non-fiction
    • Phantoms in the Brain - V.S. Ramachandran (lots of information on phantom limb syndrome as well as other cases of things the brain does when something happens to it. Mostly case studies, but it is well-written and he goes in depth to talk about why the brain reacts in the way it does.)
    • The Demon-Haunted World - Carl Sagan (main focus is debunking conspiracy theories like crop circles and alien abduction, discusses the 'dragon in my garage' argument which deals with burden of proof and why you can't say 'lol you can't disprove the thing even though I can't prove it' as your sole argument. Can also be compared to p-shifters presenting 1001 reasons for why they can't actually give you solid evidence.)
    Fiction
    • Mist - Miguel de Unamuno (particularly interesting read for fictionkin, I think. Lots of philosophizing, but a main theme is how books and characters themselves can come to life through the reader, includes dialogue between the characters and the author. Also I've only read it in Spanish as Niebla so I have no idea what the English translation is like, let me add that disclaimer.)
    • Life of Pi - Yann Martel (thought-provoking ideas on human nature.)
    • A Very Old Man With Enormous Wings - Gabriel García Márquez (short story, more ideas on human nature. Recommended for angelkin.)
    Fantasy
    • The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles - Julie Andrews Edwards (yes that Julie Andrews. Aimed at younger age group, but still a really good read. Main theme is visualization and the power of imagination.)
    • A Madness of Angels - Kate Griffin (urban fantasy, first of the Matthew Swift series but is a great stand-alone. Main theme is that life is magic, and magic will always exist where there is life. Written in first person singular and plural.)
    • The Clan of the Shape Changers - Robert Levy (disclaimer: I haven't read this book in a loooong time, so I don't remember much. But it was really good. It is also Exactly What It Says On The Tin.)
    • The Emperor's Soul - Brandon Sanderson (novella, excellently written despite there being little action. Features an intricate and thought-provoking magic system and focuses on the complexities of the human soul.)

• Like Like x 3