Books all otherkin should read | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Books all otherkin should read

Discussion in 'Books, Music, & Art' started by Seraphyna, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Seraphyna

Seraphyna Curmudgeony Shlion
    Elder

Theta DeltaSharkFemale Lion
    Bones:
    Ƀ3,702.17
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :oldwoman:
    This thread is meant to be a library of sorts. A place to suggest books to read to help us to understand and analyze our identities. Please do not post suggestions for books that involve kintypes (aka fantasy novels) and please link to Barnes and Noble or Amazon so people can easily locate them as well as an overview of the book. My end goal of this thread is to formulate a list of books that otherkin, new and otherwise, can read in order to better look at themselves with a critical lens with the end goal of understanding their identity, beliefs, and why they hold them. Also, feel free to link to studies that have been done on otherkin/therians (as in the resulting papers) @House of Chimeras I'm looking at you.

I'll start:

The Believing Brain: From Ghosts and Gods to Politics and Conspiracies---How We Construct Beliefs and Reinforce Them as Truths by Michael Shermer
    http://www.amazon.com/Believing-Bra...451961999&sr=8-2&keywords=the+believing+brain

The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan
    The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark: Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan: 8601401286790: Amazon.com: Books

The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True by Richard Dawkins
    The Magic of Reality: How We Know What's Really True: Richard Dawkins: 9781451675047: Amazon.com: Books

#1 Seraphyna, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Black Winged AngelChibi DragonBrimstone Demon
    Bones:
    Ƀ844.15
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    So (this is what I was originally going to ask before the thread juggle happened), are you asking for solely non-fiction or research studies, or would you accept philosophical fiction as well, so long as it does not focus on a kintype? Just wondering if I could crosspost my rec of Mist to here since I feel that would be an interesting exploration of identity for fictionkin. I think a lot of fictionkin fall back on multiple universe theory without really understanding or believing in it properly, and this book could give a fresh perspective of kind of psychological nature, to be honest, and just in general more awareness that spirituality is not the only explanation.

3. Seraphyna

Seraphyna Curmudgeony Shlion
    Elder

Theta DeltaSharkFemale Lion
    Bones:
    Ƀ3,702.17
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :oldwoman:
    As long as its not something you'd read "for leisure". If it can be applied to critical analysis of one's identity, post away.

4. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ844.15
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    Yeah, I wouldn't say this is a book you'd really read for fun. It's interesting and has a fictional plot, but it basically ignores all regular novel conventions. The author coined a new word for it (in Spanish, novel is novela, so Unamuno decided to call his particular...thing...a nivola, which basically just twists the vowel sounds into something different).

I had to read this for my Spanish literature class, so I'll give a link to it in Spanish as well as English. The Spanish version comes with a large criticism and historical background section at the front, which I wholeheartedly admit to not touching but I'm sure it's good.

Niebla por Miguel de Unamuno:
    Amazon.com: Niebla (Spanish Edition) (9788437603476): Miguel de Unamuno, Mario J. Valdez: Books

Mist by Miguel de Unamuno:
    Amazon.com: Mist: A Tragicomic Novel (9780252068942): Miguel de Unamuno, Warner Fite, Theodore Ziolkowski: Books

Offering in both languages because to be quite honest I have no idea what the English translation is like.

The book itself is a little confusing to explain, but its main philosophical focus is on how fiction is alive, not by the author's hand, but by the hands of its readers. Involves a conflict of character vs. author at climactic moments.

5. House of Chimeras

House of Chimeras Book-loving Historians
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ518.61
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Most of these are a list of some books, articles, etc which reference or are about otherkin (though some might be more simply of interest to otherkin possibility). The quality of some of these sources varies (some are certainly better than others as some are "meh"), but here they are for those wanting published and/or academic works about/referencing otherkin.

Academic Books -

Johnston, Jay. “Chapter 42: Vampirism, Lycanthropy, and Otherkin.” In The Occult World, by Christopher Partridge, 412-423. New York: Routledge, 2014.

Johnston, Jay. "On Having a Furry Soul: Transpecies Identity and Ontological Indeterminacy In Otherkin Subcultures,” Animal Death, edited by Jay Johnston and Fiona Probyn-Rapsey, 293-306. Sydney: Sydney University Press, 2013.

Kirby, Danielle. “Alternative Worlds: Metaphysical Questing and Virtual community Among the Otherkin.” In Through a Glass Darkly: Reflections on the Sacred, edited by Frances Di Lauro, 275-287.Sydney: Sydney University Press, 2006.

Kirby, Danielle. "Readers, believers, consumers, and Audiences: Complicating the Relationship Between Consumption and Contemporary Narrative Spiritualties." In Australian Journal of Communication, edited by Roslyn Petelin, 121-133. St. Lucia: The University of Queensland Press, 2012.

Laycock, Joseph P. Dangerous Games: What the Moral Panic over Role-Playing Games Says about Play, Religion, and Imagined Worlds. Oakland: University of California Press, 2015.
    (Pages 169-176, 199-200, 204-205 mentions otherkin, real-life vampires, and therians)

Shane, Margaret. “Chapter 16: Some People Aren't People On The Inside.” In Educational, Psychological, and Behavioral Considerations In Niche Online Communities, by Vivek Venkatesh, 260 - 271. Hershey: Information Science Reference, 2014.

Academic Dissertations & Theses -

Altmann, Eric Stephen. Posthum/an/ous: Identity, Imagination, and the Internet. Appalachian State University, 2010.

Getzler, Melanie. Othering Among Otherkin: the discursive negotiation of the face-threat of exclusionary othering in a demarginalizing Internet community, Bloomington: Indiana University, 2013.

Academic Articles -

Gerbasi, Kathleen C. et al, "Furries A to Z: (Anthropomorphism to Zoomorphism)." Society and Animals, Vol.16 (2008): pp 197-222. (accessed January 28, 201:relievedface:.

Grivell, Timothy, Helen Clegg and Elizabeth C. Roxburgh. “An Interpretative Phenomenological Analysis of Identity in the Therian Community.” Identity: An International Journal of Theory and Research. Vol. 14, No. 2, (May 2014) An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie (accessed July 10 2014).

Hendrickson, Kate M., Teresita McCarty, and Jean M. Goodwin. “Animal Alters: Case Reports,” Dissociation, Vol. III, No. 4 (December 1990) Dissociation : Vol. 3, No. 4, p. 218-221 : Animal alters: case reports (accessed March 27 2015).

Keck et al, “Lycanthropy: Alive and Well In The Twentieth Century,” Psychological Medicine. Vol. 18, No. 1 (Feb., 1988): pp 113-20. Lycanthropy: alive and well in the twentieth century (accessed August 29 2014).
    (Article includes discussion about a man who identified as a cat since childhood and whose identification did not change with treatment over the course of over six years)

Kulick, Aaron, Pope HG Jr, & Keck PE Jr. “Lycanthropy and Self-Identification.” The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, Vol. 2 ( Feb. 1990): pp 134-137 Lycanthropy and self-identification. - PubMed - NCBI (October 14 2014).
    (Case Report of a man who had identified as a cat since childhood, whose identification did not change with any treatment given, and simply identified as a cat and did not have the delusion of physically being one.)

Laycock, Joseph P. “We Are Spirits of Another Sort: Ontological Rebellion and Religious Dimensions of the Otherkin Community." Nova Religio. Vol. 15, No. 3 (Feb., 2012): pp. 65-90 “We Are Spirits of Another Sort” on JSTOR (accessed November 24 201:relievedface:.

Probyn-Rapsey, Fiona. "Furries and Limits of Species Identity Disorder," Society & Animals, Vol. 19 (2011): pp 294-301 Furries and limits of 'species identity disorder' (accessed January 28, 201:relievedface:.

Robertson, Venetia Laura Delano. "The Beast Within: Anthrozoomorphic Identity and Alternative Spirituality in the Online Therianthropy Movement." Nova Religio, Vol. 16, No. 3 (Feb 201:relievedface:: pp. 7-30 The Beast Within on JSTOR (accessed November 24 201:relievedface:.

Robertson, Venetia. "The Law of the Jungle: Self and Community in the Online Therianthropy Movement."Pomegranate: The International Journal of Pagan Studies, Vol 14, No 2 (Dec., 2012): Pp 256-280 The Law of the Jungle: Self and Community in the Online Therianthropy Movement | Robertson | Pomegranate: The International Journal of Pagan Studies (accessed January 28, 201:relievedface:.

Smith, Stanley G. “Disorder With Human and Non-human Subpersonality Components,” Dissociation, Vol. 2, No. 1 (March 1989) Dissociation : Vol. 2, No. 1, p. 052-056: Multiple personality disorder: disorder with human and non-human subpersonality components (accessed March 27 2015).

Magazine Articles -

Belander, Rev. Michelle. “Dragons & Faeries & Gnomes Oh My!: The Fascinating World of Otherkin,” PaganNet News, Litha 2003, Vol. X, No. IV, June 21 2003, http://www.otherkin.net/mirror/www.paganet.org/pnn/2003/Litha/Feature_Sample1.html

McNeil, Emma. “The Otherkin.” Fortean Times Magazine. January 2012, 44-46.

News Articles -

Anderson, Paige. "Student Profile: Being An 'Otherkin' At Knox. The Knox Student Online, January 27 2011. http://old.theknoxstudent.com/newsroom/article/student-profile-being-otherkin-Knox/ (accessed April 16 2015).

Baker-Whitelaw, Gavia. “Meet the People Who Don’t Identify As Human,” The Week, July 21 2015, http://theweek.com/articles/552648/meet-peoplewho-dont-identify-human (accessed August 1 2015).

Baker-Whitelaw, Gavia. “Understanding The Otherkin,” The Kernel, February 22 2015, http://kernelmag.dailydot.com/issue...66/otherkin-tumblr-definition-pronouns/?fb=dd (accessed August 1 2015).

Clairouin, Olivier. “Pas complètement humains : la vie en ligne des thérians et otherkin.” Le Monde.fr. May 20 2014. http://www.lemonde.fr/cultures-web/...es-therians-et-otherkins_4410306_4409029.html (accessed June 10 2014).

Fitzgerald, Sarah N. "Otherkin Remove Masks for Halloween." Metro Vancouver, October 29 2010. http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/56474/otherkin-remove-masks-for-halloween/ (accessed April 16 2015).

Lerner, Thomas. "Ibland får jag lust att yla som en varg,” Insidan, April 7 2010. https://archive.today/ZX0Ti (accessed January 20 201:relievedface:.

Mamatas, Nick. “Elven Like Me,” The Village Voice News, February 13 2001. http://www.villagevoice.com/2001-02-13/news/elven-like-me/full/ (accessed February 1 2015).

McVeigh, Sarah. "What's a therian?" triplejHack, September 30 2014. http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/stories/s4097695.htm (accessed December 15 2014). (Audio interview - triple j Hack, “What’s a therian?” Soundcloud, https://soundcloud.com/triple-j-hack/whats-a-therian)

Riley, Deirdre. “Not Of Thus World: An Otherkin Primer,” Spiral Nature, September 3rd 2015, http://www.spiralnature.com/culture/otherkin-primer/ [accessed November 9 2015].

Roberts, Amber. “Otherkin Are People Too: They Just Identify as Nonhuman,” Vice, July 16 2015, http://www.vice.com/read/from-drago...e-whatever-you-want-to-be?utm_source=vicefbus (accessed September 20th 2015).

Non-academic Books -

Brownless, Lauren, Elizabeth Coppen, et al. Shifting Hearts. Manteca, Good Mourning Publishing, 2013.
    (Is a romantic/relationship anthology of short stories written by otherkin with otherkin characters)

Cohen, Daniel. Werewolves. New York: Cobblehill Books, 1996.
    (Chapter 12, Page 101 - 107 talks about real-life “werewolves” on Alt.Horror.Werewolves)

Godfrey, Linda S. Hunting the American Werewolf: Beast Men in Wisconsin and Beyond. Madison: Trails Books, 2006.
    (Page 213 - 22:relievedface:

Godfrey, Linda S. Real Wolfmen: True Encounters in Modern America. New York: Penguin Group, 2012.
    (Page 63 - 67 talks about people who identified as were beasts or animals in spirit or similar with a few having claimed to physical shift, 307 - 316 is an interview with someone who identifies as a werecat and talks about furry fandom and therian community)

Godfrey, Linda S. The Beast of Bray Road: Tailing Wisconsin's Werewolf.Black Earth: Prairie Oak Press, 2003.
    (Page 96-100 talks about both clinical lycanthropy, people who claim to be shapeshifting lycanthropes, and makes mention of "spiritual therianthropes.")

Godfrey, Linda. Werewolves: Mysteries, Legends, and Unexplained Phenomena. New York: Infobase Publishing, 2008.
    (Pages 53 - 56 mentions therianthropy and therians by name and 109 defines therianthropy in its glossary)

Jason The Horse. What Is You Are A Horse In Human Form?, Lulu.com, 2011.

Konstantinos. Werewolves: The Occult Truth. Woodbury, MN: Llewellyn, 2010.
    (Page 169 - 171 talks about therians, a type of otherkin who identify as animals)

Lupa. A Field Guide To Otherkin. Megalithica Books: Stafford, 2007.

Lupa. Shifting, Shamanism and Therianthropy: Magical Techniques For Your Therioside. Self-published via Lulu.com, 2007.

Reece, Gregory L. Creatures of the Night In Search of Ghosts, Vampires, Werewolves and Demons. London: I.B. Tauris, 2012.
    (Pages 118 - 124 talks about otherkin with specific focus on therians while talking about interviewing the wolf therian, Wolf VanZandt)

Steiger, Brad. The Werewolf Book: The Encyclopedia of Shape-shifting Beings. Canton: Visible Ink Press, 1999.
    (Page 146 defines “howls” and mentions AHWW and the 1994 Harvest Howl, Pages 261- 266 while not directly talking about therianthropy discusses “spiritual shape shifting,” Page 278 defines “theriomorph” and “spiritual theriomorph” as people who have an “inner identification as a particular animal.”)

Wilkinson, Roy. Are You A Unicorn?: Mission and Meaning of Unicorns. Kaysville, UT: Unicorns United, 1998.

Zell-Ravenheart, Oberon. Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard. Franklin Lakes, NJ: New Page Books, 2004.
    (Page 298 -299 talks about werewolves but mentions and defines “therians” and “otherkin.”)

---

Also, while not about otherkin, [Grandin, Temple. Animals in translation : using the mysteries of autism to decode animal behavior. New York: Scribner, 2005. ] is a wonderful and recommend read for anyone who experiences animality due to what the author talks about throughout the book.

- Yamir (male, wild horse)

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ844.15
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    I'm back with another philosophical fiction piece to recommend, again for fictionkin. This is a short story by Jorge Luis Borges called "The Garden of Forked Paths", and explores multiple universe theory through the metaphor of a labyrinth. Great read, again I'll post Spanish and English versions. Both versions link to places you can read the story for free.

"The Garden of Forking Paths" by Jorge Luis Borges
    "El jardín de senderos que se bifurcan" por Jorge Luis Borges