Kinmunity

Welcome to Kinmunity - We're an online community resource and forum for alterhumans including: otherkin, therians, vampires, and others with non-human identities

In order to receive full access to Kinmunity, you'll have to register an account. Registering gives you access to the following features:

• The ability to create new threads and reply to existing ones on our forums.
  • The ability to read messages in "The Dens", our members only area.
  • The ability to chat with others in our Discord server.
  • The ability to create your very own blog on the site - write whatever you want!
  • The ability to create, join, and participate in social groups!
  • and so much more...
So what are you waiting for? Join Kinmunity today!

can you kin a YouTube persona?

D

Deleted member 56982

Unverified
I’ve been wondering about this, for example: kining dream but not his actual self?

Solution
I'm going to be a little harsher than I tend to be so I hope this doesn't come off as rude.

Can you? probably.

But;
it feels like identifying as someones fursona. Even though it's not the person behind the character, the character is still intended as a personal facet of that person. If someone told me they think they're kin with any of my OCs, that'd be neat. But if someone told me they were otherkin with my fursona I think I'd break all my baseline pleasantries and tell them that, "no", they weren't, because the character exists solely as a personal reflection of myself. I may not be my fun little cartoon character I enjoy drawing, but that same cartoon character is me. It is intended to be viewed...

GuardianDevil

Pronouns
Neutral
It may come off as harsh but I'm gonna give you a flat no. As someone who spent a time period in a real person fandom, we dealt with a person who claimed to be kin with irl living people and it was a mess. Considering them a strong personal connection, heck even believing in being on the same wavelength is all well and good. But taking it so far as to be actual (person)kin in any serious capacity is, besides the logical constraints, asking for trouble.

SoothsayerSasha

Tiggy
Staff member
Guardian
Crow
Pronouns
Masculine
To be fair, he articulated a specific term:
can you kin a YouTube persona? [...] not his actual self?
Persona, one of the Jungian achetypes coined after the Latin persona, referring to the masks worn by Etruscan mimes, is a kind of mask designed on the one hand to make a definite impression upon others, and on the other to conceal the true nature of the individual [C. G. Jung, Two Essays on Analytical Psychology (London 1953) p. 190]

[...] we dealt with a person who claimed to be kin with irl living people and it was a mess [...] But taking it so far as to be actual (person)kin in any serious capacity [...]
If by kin is to mean be kin with as in to identify as [having] a specific persona i.e. a self-directed social identity, the moral dilemma lays not in the act itself.

So, sure, you can!

~Sasha.

Lepus alleni

just a hare
Therianthrope
Pronouns
Other
I'm going to be a little harsher than I tend to be so I hope this doesn't come off as rude.

Can you? probably.

But;
it feels like identifying as someones fursona. Even though it's not the person behind the character, the character is still intended as a personal facet of that person. If someone told me they think they're kin with any of my OCs, that'd be neat. But if someone told me they were otherkin with my fursona I think I'd break all my baseline pleasantries and tell them that, "no", they weren't, because the character exists solely as a personal reflection of myself. I may not be my fun little cartoon character I enjoy drawing, but that same cartoon character is me. It is intended to be viewed as me. That's the point of a persona.

A persona is not a character used to tell a story (though many people may insert a persona in to a story) because it is a direct reflection of the author. It's living-factkin-one-step-removed to claim you are kin with someones personal artistic presentation of themselves. Do not.

Solution