Christianity and Spirit Guides | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Christianity and Spirit Guides

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by Norintha, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Norintha

Norintha Spawn

Voice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ29.77
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    So I was doing some research on spirit guides and came across this article basically saying they are bad.
    www.gotquestions.org/spirit-guides.html
    I don't think so. But I will say as a Christian It scares me. What are your opinions? Are they secretly trying to lead us astray or are they truly helpful? I'd like to hear your opinions :)

2. Nyht Myst

Nyht Myst The Element System
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ138.65
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    The way I've seen it even before I became a heathen is that guardian angels were spirit guides, spirit guides are there to help you through tough moments of your life, and better yourself; many of us here have had a spirit guide at some point. So many warp the texts of their religions to better suite their life, I'd say it would be a personal decision on whether you feel spirit guides are good or not.

• Like Like x 5
  3. PinkTitanium

PinkTitanium The Fallen Faerie
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ47.76
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    I've never thought of spirit guides as bad, and I don't think anyone could convince me they are. I am not Christian nor do i follow any other specific religion or practice, but I have always felt spirit guides were blessings and if you are lucky enough to have one then you are doing something right.

• Like Like x 6
  4. Raijun

Raijun Now with 40% less almond
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    I look at it this way - Which is the most real? I.e. which is more real - God and Angels, or Life here on Earth? Which came first? Christianity falls within the latter category. It speaks about a portion of god, but it's woven by mankind.

I feel like spirit guides, assuming they're "legitimate" and not just malicious spirits toying around with you, are worth more than the collective advice of mankind. Every individual is just playing a part in this giant theatrical play that is planet Earth. If your guide knows something, you'd be best to listen. Your guides won't tell you how to be rich and successful, but they'll tell you what you need to know.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Tammikuu

Tammikuu Little Lobo

Blue Wolf
    Bones:
    Ƀ943.15
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :)
    I'm not Christian nor do I have a set religion, I have more a set of beliefs which centres around nature being at its heart. I have a totem animal and have had a few spirit guides and they have been a comfort and a core of strength in difficult times. In my eyes they are nothing but good and I feel blessed to have had them in my life. It takes an open heart and mind to follow what they have to say but it has done me nothing but good and I am always thankful for any advice and wisdom they wish to share.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Luario

Luario The Punished
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.31
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    As you found strictly christian site it's obvious that in their opinion spirit guides are bad.
    I don't think that my spirit guides or any other are a bad beings even if I don't know their true intentions. I'm thankful for their advices and protection during astral plane journeys. As they do not interfere into my "normal" life I have no reasons to worry, huh, they even say: "It's your life".
    Besides, both of my spirit guides are familiar beings from my past life. Discovering them was much more like reunion than discovering. Even spirits of the dead can become spirits guides if they wish to.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Sekhmet

Sekhmet Hatchling
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I always thought of spirit guides and angels as essentially the same thing, just showing up differently based on the person they are helping. They understand what we need, which is why they are guides, so they know how to appear to us. If they aren't the same thing, perhaps they work together? They do the same thing. I am sure that the guides I have met are benevolent, even if they trick me into learning my lesson sometimes.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Raijun

Raijun Now with 40% less almond
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    I have actually heard of this happening. For one, sometimes people call guides angels and vice versa, and they don't have to be mutually exclusive as long as they actually are your guides. So, that said, Guides don't necessarily have to be what everyone imagines a loving guide will be. Souls retain their personalities between lives for the most part, depending on how horrible their upbringing is (Even that might be wrong; I'm not omniscient.) so a Guide may be really playful in the background. Most of the time, all a guide is is a fellow student soul who is showing you stuff behind the scenes while you do the work. Then you can switch when it comes for your guide to have a life experience.

Switching isn't always going to happen though. Youngish souls leave a certain percent of their energy behind, according to what I've read from numerous sources. I'm not even sure if I have an analogy suitable for this. Souls can be in a body and be paying attention to stuff in Source at the same time. It's just a divided attention thing. Older souls are better at dividing their time. Sometimes much better. Souls can put most of their attention into one body/lifetime, or they can even play the part of identical twins and split themselves into three parts. (Two into the bodies, one staying back home.) Sometimes a soul will only leave 10% or so back home, and when they're done, they arrive utterly exhausted, but it's a more intensive program and they can learn tons more than if they were only dipping their metaphorical and metaphysical toes in the water.

Back to the original point, if a Guide is ribbing you, that's perfectly normal. I'll bet some of your best friends rib you too, even when they love the hell out of you on a friendly level. It's exactly the same thing. Literally exactly the same thing.

9. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p
    Staff Member Administrator

Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relaxed:
    I am not a Christian myself, so my opinion may be irrelevant and/or uninformed. However, I believe there is a concept of guardian angels that could easily be applied to spirit guides as well (correct me if i’m wrong, I very well could be). Outside of this, as with all religions and faith, a lot is open to interpretation. If you asked 20 different Christians their opinion on something in their religon, you’ll probably get thirty different answers. There are some lines in the Bible that almost all Christians I talk to say no longer matter, such as “Nor shall you wear a garment of cloth made of two kinds of material…” - do whatever feels right, do not allow external sources such as an opinionated website invalidate an experience that feels real to you.

10. Spiritual Hunters

Spiritual Hunters The Cajun System
    Elder Plural Life

Bones:
    Ƀ128.35
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Oh you found one of 'those' sites. I, personally, find those kind of sites pretty darn stupid and seeing as how I'm Christian, you can probably take it that way too. So spirit guides are bad but there's the Holy Spirit which is the biggest spirit guide you can ever possibly imagine. We got guardian angels, we pray to long dead saints, but yeah, spirit guides are bad.

If you have a spirit guide, listen to it. It'll know what it's talking about and if Huntress is right on those terms, they're the same as guardian angels. They just go and take the form you would best trust. Which is why for some it's guardian angels and while for others, it's animals and such. Don't go listening to them bible thumpers. They obviously don't know what they're talking about.

Edit: Also, I so do love how they misquote the bible in many instances in their 'article'.
    -Kay

• Like Like x 10
  11. Bran

Bran Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    True, the Holy Spirit is a "spirit guide," however according to Christian teaching, it is the only spirit guide we are supposed to have. It falls under the first commandment.
    On a more practical Christian paradigm note, if you have interaction with ANY spirit, as a christian, how do you know it is from God?
    On a more general note, how do you know that ANY Spirit is what it says it is?

12. Spiritual Hunters

Spiritual Hunters The Cajun System
    Elder Plural Life

Bones:
    Ƀ128.35
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I'm afraid that it doesn't apply to the first amendment. The Holy Spirit is part of the trinity, yes but we do not hold it to the same level as God. It is said that he is a part of God but that doesn't not make the Holy Spirit God. If you understand what I'm saying. Jesus is his son and part of God but he is not God. He is the son of God. The trinity is very complex, honestly. But there is one God. Listening to spirit guides does not interfere with the first commandment. And I don't see people as worshiping their spirit guides. I see them acting to a spirit guide much like you would a close friend. You turn to your friend for advice and support but they aren't you're God.

You do not know if the spirits are from God. It's why you have to be cautious and why exorcisms and the like exist. Those helpful spirit guides/guardian angels could easily be a demon or ghoul trying to lead you astray. However, we could simply ask the same thing for normal people. How do we know that those we claim as friends are really friends with our good interests in heart. Everything should be taken with a grain of salt on this matter. They could be great spirit guides or they could be terrible. Thus is life.

-Kay

13. Laufey

Laufey Weaver of Worlds
    The Celestial Realm

Voice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ578.49
    Primary Identity:
    Celestial
    Mood:
    :mad:
    Why does it scare you?

14. Norintha

Norintha Spawn

Voice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ29.77
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    Just afraid of ending up in Hell when I finally die. I screw up a lot so I'm not exactly sure where I'll land when this is over.

15. Laufey

Laufey Weaver of Worlds
    The Celestial Realm

Voice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ578.49
    Primary Identity:
    Celestial
    Mood:
    :mad:
    Oh. Can't say I understand that fear.

I believe that in this world there is good and bad everywhere, same could be said of spirits or guides. I have to agree with @SpiritualHunters, take everything with a grain of salt.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Hirshama

Hirshama Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Although I am no longer Christian, growing up I was raised Catholic. I will say that as a child I experienced many things that was often condemned by the Christian religion and were often told to me that they were bad things... Seeing and speaking with spirits, dreams coming true and the ability to interpret dream meanings quite clearly.... Anything to do with self enlightenment and connecting with yourself is often times seen as a bad thing when it comes to some of these religious sites...I think one of them even claimed that the practice of Yoga was evil...That being said I tend to have a negative view on organized religions. From my experience, spirit guides can be both good and bad. They retain their personalities they once had while living. Some are tricksters, but for the most part they are here to aid others with a lesson. They do not outright tell you things, but rather give insight on what they suggest you do. Just like with living people you have to use your judgement: are they being truthful, what about the vibes they give you? do you feel at ease with what they are saying to you or does it contradict with what you believe? If they feel good and their message rings true with you, more then likely they are just trying to help you..

Something to think about though, when our loved ones pass on, too many seek for a sign that their deceased loved one is alright. They pray for some sort of connection with this person and pray that they are being watched over... many times that is what a spirit guide is. They may not be the person that you lost or knew, but they are deceased loved ones who stick around to help others in need. Not many 'evil' spirits stick around for the small things like leading people astray... that is a persons own greed and insecurity that does that.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Zen'akufuni

Zen'akufuni Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.00
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    This depends on what you believe regarding Christianity. If you believe in "justification by faith," then simply believing is enough to get you to heaven. However, like Shiro so rightly said, ask a bunch of Christians any question about the religion/faith and you'll end up with a whole bunch of different answers. That's why there are so many denominations, and it's also why some of them are locked in bitter warfare of a sort. Some of them even think that other denominations are "of the devil." It's a complicated matter. I also worry about the afterlife, but there is no way to be completely certain what lies there (if it even exists at all). This is where faith comes in. With no way to prove what is true, it comes down to you to decide for yourself what you want to believe (or you can leave it to the whims of your emotions; the choice is yours).

In terms of the subject as a whole, I do not trust that site. I say this as a gnostic-leaning Progressive Christian who is open to the idea that God manifests in an infinite number of ways. I believe that, if God exists, then every living thing, and possibly even every single atom, is a manifestation of God. As only very tiny fragments living in a finite world, we can end up giving into our baser natures and hurting one another. That is "sin." Jesus said that loving God and loving others is the same thing. He said those are the only truly important commandments to keep. There's a reason for that.

Regardless of what other people believe, or even what they do, we are supposed to love them as parts of God, even as external parts of ourselves ("love your neighbor as yourself;" which also implies that we must love ourselves first, else we cannot love others at all). It's incredibly difficult to do all the time, but what matters is that we try. Judging others from a spiritual standpoint, by saying that they are going to hell or deserving of punishment, is the opposite of love. That is not for individuals to do ("judge not, lest you be judged," as we are all of the same whole). So, when I see tripe like the site you linked to, it irks me (especially when I saw their first quote from scripture being from Leviticus of all things, something Jesus told us is null and void). There's no way for us to know if what someone calls a "spirit guide" is just another part of God, or perhaps their own soul speaking to them from the other side. Again, it is not our place to judge. We should be concerned only with our own choices, extending as much love as possible to everyone else.

I know that what I've said is controversial to a lot of Christians. That's fine. They are allowed to believe whatever they want. There's a purpose to everything, even things which cause pain. However, I feel very confident in my beliefs. I'm open to the possibility that there is no God, that there is nothing after this, but if there is? That is the perspective from which I hail when I say that I am certain. Everyone should follow their conscience and believe what they want, so long as they don't hurt anyone in the process (the most important thing, right?). That's what I've decided to do, and there's a certain amount of peace that comes with it, even through all of the doubt. Even if it isn't true, it's what I'd like to be, and it's how I want to live. In the end, that's all that really matters.

• Like Like x 4
  18. Sandwaster

Sandwaster Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ25.45
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    If you want to follow the Christian path, more power to you. I need to look into this a little more but I remember somewhere reading (int he Bible) someone was trying to describe angels. They said they are so complex our minds can not comprehend their appearance so we gave them the image of men with wings. I do not think spirit guides are evil but we all have that "guardian angel' and maybe the spirit guide is coming to us in a form we can comprehend. Also keep in mind Lucifer was also an angel, so dabbling in spirit worlds and so on is not something you want to do alone. A lot of these site, you have to be weary about them. Most can come along as satire and so crazy it is believable. Some there are religious extremist in every religion so they push anger, as if god is angry and spiteful. You can belive everything that is on the net. I see Catholics as Christians and they ask the Saints for help also. Want to follow that path, I look at the old testaments rules and go to the source for help first. Like it says, dont put the other gods before him type things.

_edit: also people have used fear to control other people sense the dawn of time. Fear of Hell didnt come into view till Dantes Inferno. Also, if you have to have religion to have morals, something else is wrong

• Like Like x 2
  19. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Black Winged AngelChibi DragonBrimstone Demon
    Bones:
    Ƀ845.20
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    Something I've always noticed about the first commandment is that it doesn't really deny the existence of other gods or spirits, it just says that God is the only true creator and master of the world; it says you shouldn't worship other gods above this one. But I believe other spirits still exist, just not as figures of that kind o highest authority. So I feel like the idea of a spirit guide can be reconciled.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Gryneos

Gryneos Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ484.45
    Primary Identity:
    Centaur
    Mood:
    :)
    Then perhaps this site can bring you some peace of mind and spirit :)
    Hell and the Near-Death Experience
    That entire NDE site is extensive and well worth a look.

• Like Like x 3