Chromacy/Cone Test? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Chromacy/Cone Test?

Discussion in 'Science, Math, & Technology' started by Castellamare, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Castellamare

Castellamare little hen
    Dragon

White Winged AngelFerocious Blue WyvernBrown GriffinMale LionBuckDoeBlack CatFemale LionMustangSpotted BuckSpotted DoeRainbow BuckRainbow DoeBlue GriffinSharkCrowGrey RaptorRed RaptorWhite Feathered RaptorGreen RaptorOrange RaptorOtherkin HeptagramWuffyFerocious Alabaster Dragon
    Bones:
    Ƀ141.71
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Found this article, I don't know if it's real or not but definately for the di- and tri-chromacies.

Some articles say "1st human tetrachrome found," that it's "more popular in women," or that "only women (2 X chromosomes) can recieve it" - I'm lost. Still an interesting thing, I counted 40 but may have miscounted, suggested by the highest range they supply was 39. There were only three clumps of colours that I did not see more colours within, otherwise I could see another colour in an equal distance apart from the last.
    Most people replied something within the range for tetrachromacy, I think it just had to do with how well they paid attention. Some people replied in the 50s - I'm not counting the top and bottom parts or the shady-looking area between colours.

2. Charias

Charias Wandering Wolf
    Demonkin

Bones:
    Ƀ1,384.14
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    That's pretty interesting. I counted 39! And, well, I can't stand the colour yellow, but that might be a coincidence.

Also, someone in the comments on there said that some of the wider bands, that look like they should be two colours, are actually just one colour if you get the colour code of them. I checked, and that's at least true for the yellow bar. I guess some are wider to throw us off guard? So I dunno how some people are managing to see 45+ colours. Unless they're exaggerating to make themselves look special...

• Like Like x 1
  3. AshenFall

AshenFall Danger Floof
    Staff Member Guardian Elder VIP Thoughtform Haven

Direflame PhilterBold PhilterMidnight Neon PhilterFerocious Orange Dragon
    Bones:
    Ƀ82.06
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    I managed to count 37 from that image, so it appears I'm tetrachromatic. Interestingly enough though I counted less (34) when my screen brightness was turned down to its lowest setting (as is usually the case due to my eyes becoming easily irritated by bright light). So I can imagine with it being on a PC/tablet/mobile screen that will also have an effect on the results each person gives as well as the number of cone types. There are probably other factors to consider too.

I'm quite confused by people giving more than 39 since they stated the maximum was 39 in the article, however this could be a result of screen brightness differences and/or a "trick of the light" which seems more likely than there actually being an excess of 39 colours on the image.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pinkdragon310

Warrior

Bones:
    Ƀ127.70
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    The picture on the article didn't work on my computer (don't know if it was my adblocker somehow, or...) so I had to look at it on my phone, I saw 39 colors so apparently I'm tetrachromatic.

5. Velvet Wings

Velvet Wings Feline of the Root
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Black CatTheta DeltaBioluminescent Wyvern
    Bones:
    Ƀ3,343.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    38 for me. I do imagine it varies depending on your monitor, but it's pretty interesting.

I'm not really a fan of yellow either, although Tor's favorite colours are orange and yellow.

6. TimelordVictorious

TimelordVictorious ໒( ͡ᵔ ▾ ͡ᵔ )७
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ89.92
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I saw 35, so yeah for tetrachromatic vision! Seems like we've all got it so far.

7. AdaraDragonBorn

AdaraDragonBorn Hatchling
    Dragon

White Wings
    Bones:
    Ƀ71.71
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :)
    I scored around 38... Pretty cool! I'm going to try this out on some of my friends.

8. Quxyun

Quxyun Floppy floppy noodle dragon of the sea
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ673.77
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :)
    I scored 36, but I am willing to bet that if I didn't have f.lux installed on my computer right now and that I was wearing my glasses, that I would have gotten 39. Similarly, I dislike yellow. I dislike a lot of bright colors, preferring muted ones instead. I am willing to bet that if you scored tetrachromatic vision, and you dislike the color yellow, that there is a scientific basis and it isn't just a coincidence. It probably irritates something in your eyes, so that subconsciously shapes your likes and dislikes of that color.

I find it odd that articles are saying "Only people with XX chromosomes have tetrachromatic vision", I was very able to detect 36, even more in ideal conditions, and I have XY. I would be interested to read some of those articles, just to satisfy my curiosity.

• Like Like x 1
  9. kiror

kiror Fuzzy Mirror
    Staff Member Deputy Admin Elder VIP

Bones:
    Ƀ54.00
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    Mood:
    I could count 39... but I don't trust this test is a failure because it relies on screens that uses a RGB pattern matrix to display points in the screen, then a 4th color isn't emitted.
    After manually counting, using a image editor and knowing that JPEG is a lossy image codec, I used the area color picker and looked only the hue of the color. There are 39 colors. The whitish top and bottom borders were ignored.
    --------------------------
    There is space for 44 colors if you assume the bars are all the same width; as there are repeated colors on Purple (Heliotrope), Blue (Crayola), Green (Harlequin), Yellow and Orange (Crayola), or they are trolls or they are counting the top and bottom borders.
    Trolls are pretty common.
    Counting the borders is possible, but then they are seeing 50 colors (the maximum number I saw someone claim to be seeing) out of 78, which is equivalent to be seeing 25 colors, a trichromatic vision.
    --------------------------
    About the source of the information, the percent rates seems too exact to be believed (25% - 50% - 25%). Reading Wikipedia, the rates of color blindness doesn't sum 10% and "the first human tetrachromat was found in 2016" (last paragraph), so the test isn't accurate. If you look the site's domain "brightside.me", it seems like a positivist-narcisist site (Tumblr?) ; if you see the place and the size of share buttons or the wording used in the titles, it seems like a clickbait site. That post seems to use the feeling of being special as a way to make people spread their links and increase income from ads (after the first paragraph, on the navbar placed on the right side and after the text (before the comments)).

• Informative Informative x 3
  10. Castellamare

Castellamare little hen
    Dragon

White Winged AngelFerocious Blue WyvernBrown GriffinMale LionBuckDoeBlack CatFemale LionMustangSpotted BuckSpotted DoeRainbow BuckRainbow DoeBlue GriffinSharkCrowGrey RaptorRed RaptorWhite Feathered RaptorGreen RaptorOrange RaptorOtherkin HeptagramWuffyFerocious Alabaster Dragon
    Bones:
    Ƀ141.71
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    You should have tor take the test!! I know plural's brains/electricity can be different so maybe he(?) percieves (not sees, since you can see them all) colours differently!! Well obviously differently, we all do, but in a quantitative way.

About first part: good point, I highly doubted it was accurate but I did just read up on cones.
    Though in theory the colour display (why isn't it ryb/cmy?) could display ultraviolet and infrared?
    So many thoughts. Thoughts on how to
    test colour response.
    Oh boy I'm going to kill myself reading up about colours.
    Also I bet animals that have their cones sensing different areas do not see rgb screens like we do.
    I realized that it was an ad-site, but sometimes interesting things come out of them! There is a good adsite I go on that posts a lot of historical things.
    At least this fake thing sparked a good and thoughtful conversation.

11. ArgaronDrakescale

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ85.16
    Primary Identity:
    Cyber
    Mood:
    I was able to count about 41, give or take 3 colors, felt like i had to squint to make them out.

12. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ400.30
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    I could count 42 and was really sad when I saw the highest it went was to 39. One was really difficult to see, I could bring it down to 41, but still. Yellow is my favorite color too, I don't like that article, lol.

13. Hyphero

Hyphero Wisp of Mystery
    VIP Swamp Lurker

MegalixirGold Fae CoinBlue AngelBrimstone DemonBlue GriffinWill'o'wisp
    Bones:
    Ƀ19,573.62
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Perfect 39/39, but I counted 41 the first time

14. ArgaronDrakescale

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ85.16
    Primary Identity:
    Cyber
    Mood:

Yeah, I know, what gives about the people that can see more colors? How come the chart isent saying anything about that. =/

15. Mist Howler

Mist Howler Tofu-Eating Reptilian
    Staff Member Guardian VIP Alien/Spacekin

Blue Shift PhilterSparkling PhilterVoice KeyGold VIP - Six Month Subcription
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,632.91
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Mood:
    :angel:
    *revives thread*

I think this will be an interesting thread to bump back to the top; I have always found the spectrum of colors very interesting. Personally, I can view thirty-nine colors. Colors are cool cx

16. erens

erens Hatchling
    'Kinbook User

Chibi Stawberry
    Bones:
    Ƀ301.18
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Mood:
    I saw 41 colors but it seems like one of those tests made just to make people feel special. Like the "if yuor raeidng tihs yuor sepical" tests
     Eren  

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kerguelen

Kerguelen Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ263.05
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :hushedface:
    Yay! I'm going to be a killjoy!
    As someone has stated before me, this can't test for tetrachromacy because it only shows three dimensions (is that even the right word? I bet it isn't but I'm rolling with it) of light (when tetrachromacy means seeing four). Trichromacy in humans means having a short wave, medium wave, and long wave cone. Tetrachromacy adds another cone to the mix. I could go into detail on color vision (I love the subject) but that's a tangent. Point is, it's like wanting to see if someone can see 100 different colors and testing it by giving them an arrangement of just 50 colors to count.

But while we're on the subject of color vision and testing ourselves, 100-hue test! This measures color vision, not tetrachromacy (like I said, needs special tools to test) but it's still informative. This one in particular gives you a score and a comparison to others who took the test. I recommend doing each line at a time and taking it slowly, because the colors will make you want to puke if you stare at them long enough. Trust me...I know...and of course it could alter your results by wearing out your cones.
    Here's my result...