Common Traits of Demonkin | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Common Traits of Demonkin

A group for demon resources, support and comparing experiences.

1. Paidia Haidou

Paidia Haidou Hatchling
    The Celestial Realm

Bones:
    Ƀ248.15
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    Reposting this here from @Cipher 's intro thread at @Maggie Darkmoon 's request. The original question was about identifying a demonkin:

The short answer is that it's complicated, even among family members. I take after my spirit mother, but we aren't 100% alike, and then there's the fact that hybrids of different species exist.

When looking for a demonkin, all I can say is look for:

1) A tendency to fight to keep their emotions somewhat under control and normal. This isn't like a normal person. This is legitimately feeling that their emotions aren't typically appropriate and acceptable in "polite society." This isn't saying that they are specifically dark, or angry, or anything in particular. Just that the emotions that we tend to feel are alien compared to the majority of humans. On the flip side, we tend to have no reaction to some things when we feel we should have a strong reaction. This can actually be even MORE distressing.

2) Probably a strong connection to mystical/magickal things. That's not to say everything is going to come to you like you didn't even have to try, just that you feel drawn to it and always have.

:relievedface: Almost certainly some form of strange needs. This can be vampirism (for energy or blood), need to meditate, or any sort of ritual or habit that you do that is obsessive. To use the medical term, you're probably going to have a fetish: A habit that you have to do or you'll feel legitimately ill. (Incidentally, that's what the word fetish means).

2. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    Thank you ♡

3. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Black Winged AngelChibi DragonBrimstone Demon
    Bones:
    Ƀ845.25
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    I would I say I don't particularly like the personality trait factors; there might be a correlation but I wouldn't call it a defining feature of any specific demonkin. However, were I to explain my identity from a psychological perspective, I would definitely at some point bring in the Jungian idea of the "shadow self", basically the unconscious personality that you've rejected in favor of the one you show, whether or not the rejected traits are socially acceptable or not, depending on your life experiences. From this perspective, I would describe my identity still as this specific being, but less from a spiritual perspective and more that Lucifer feels, as I worded in a blog post a few weeks ago, "pure, unbridled, uninhibited me." So in that respect, perhaps there might be a struggle with a desire to show or not show internal emotions. I tend not to have a reaction to death, but whether that's because I'm extremely uncomfortable crying in front of other people or made uncomfortable by other people crying, or not really bothered by it beyond a few initial thoughts, I'm not sure. But that's always felt like something human that's a part of my current life, never something 'other'.

This would really only apply to all those who hold spiritual beliefs. Someone who looks at their demonkin identity from purely a psychological perspective in addition to not practicing any kind of magick or spirituality, would probably not feel this draw. Granted, I don't actually know of any psychological demonkin off the top of my head, but the hypothetical situation remains.

Eh, I'd disagree. At the very least on the "probably going to have a fetish" part. Even though it's true I do have a meditation ritual that is also sort of a habit (I pace when I'm alone because a lot of the time my emotional reactions to things I'm processing about Lucifer or ideas in relation that I'm processing are too strong for me to feel comfortable in a stationary position; basically I feel too restless if I'm trapped in one place and thinking about these things), not engaging in this ritual doesn't make me feel ill at all.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that none of these three indicators really apply to me in my opinion, so I take sort of a personal dislike of them. Again, that could just be because the idea of a demon is such a broad concept, there's really no way to accurately call anything a constant in the community beyond "all of these beings are typically classified as evil or chaotic by their respective mythologies."

4. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    @Cipher I actually took what your refering to as your shadow self and remolded it into what I wanted to be rather then shoving it to the back. I feel it wored much better.

I do react to death but I do not understand it in the least. Like I do but I don't sorta thing.

I am also extremely uncomfortable crying, but in general. For years i could only maybe shed 4 tears. However this could be caused by being told crying is a weakness.

That is very true on the perspective that not all otherkin identify spiritually. Sometimes we forget altho I'm not sure if we have any psychological demonkin here?

She was refering to the fact that at least Paidia and I need to feed in some way. I don't know if any other demonkin have this issue or not. I haven't asked.

The again we have to remember all demonkin are different. This was probably a stab in the dark, we don't really have a fool proff way to identify demonkin. I doubt that will ever exsists anyway, however we can try!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Smooth Jazz Mann

Smooth Jazz Mann Resident Demon of Jazz
    VIP Demonkin

Silver VIP - Six Month Subscription
    Bones:
    Ƀ104.62
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic

6. Paidia Haidou

Paidia Haidou Hatchling
    The Celestial Realm

Bones:
    Ƀ248.15
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    This is kind of playing the devil's advocate (ha), but I can acknowledge that. Still, I'm referring to people who identify with demons themselves, and in general that's going to be someone who knows what a demon IS. At some point, if you are a demonkin and know what you are, you went looking at occult stuff. There is no if to this. It's going to have happened. If someone is a demonkin and knows absolutely nothing about what demons are, there's something wrong.

As to the fetish, remember that I defined it as "a compulsory behavior that isn't based on life needs." This is, admittedly, part of my personal beliefs, but humans have a lot of compulsions that are survival based. A lot of my behavior is compulsory, but not survival based in the case of humanity. To me, it is VERY MUCH survival based.

As to what that behavior might be, it could be varied in great degrees, so it's hard to say what compulsions a demonkin might have. And keep in mind, there are compulsions that ALL kin have. In my experience, though, all demonkin I've known have some form or another. Even something simple like counting things.

7. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ845.25
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    Oh, absolutely. Even just to do research, it's necessary. From your wording, I was under the impression that the "mystical/magickal draw" was like some sort of proficiency and/or proclivity to practice those things, not just look at them as part of research.

Well, the "or you'll feel legitimately ill" part you might want to leave off with regards to your original post, if this is definitely how you're defining it.

8. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    Lets not try to get too snippy with one another alright? I hate having to play the neutral part that everyone wants to smack. Yet it is my job as the groups creator...
    Crud...

I will say this though. Demons by all majority or all definitions are energy beings. This makes them of a spiritual nature.
    Will everyone identify as spiritual? No.

@Cipher I did have a draw to research into the occult. I'm not gonna lie. Yeah that's what she ment.

9. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ845.25
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    Would you say most demons have a physical form constructed of a spiritual energy, or is your view more a la Supernatural where they don't really have a physical form of their own? I feel like I'm thinking of something else when I hear "energy being" since I usually use the term "spirit", but I'm assuming we're talking about the same thing? I'm definitely in the former camp with my beliefs, because I don't know, possession's always sort of struck me as a last-resort tactic?

10. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    @Cipher sorry I used the terms energy being and spirit interchangeably. I personally believe they are 48% death energy 50% chaos energy and 2% physical. However this is my option. They do not have a physical form like the bodies we are in now. So I guess supernatural?

11. Paidia Haidou

Paidia Haidou Hatchling
    The Celestial Realm

Bones:
    Ƀ248.15
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    Okay.. let's try this.

I believe that demons exist in a realm that I call the spirit realm. I can't touch it or interact with it, but I can sense beings with it even while incarnated on earth. In that realm, they appear to be physical beings. In this realm, they appear to be energy/spirit beings.

So whether they appear to be spirit or physical depends on where you are observing them from.

With this framework in mind, how do you view things, @Cipher?

12. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ845.25
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    @Maggie Darkmoon Ah, okay. Out of curiosity, where are the percentages coming from, or are they just based on a general perception of like, half and half with a dash of physical?

@Paidia Haidou Definitely more with you on the spirit realm where they have physical form. I believe demons can manifest physical human-shaped forms here, with their powers, but such access is so highly restricted and difficult you may as well just be better off saying they can't. (to quote Pirates of the Caribbean, it's not gettin to the land of the dead that's the problem...it's gettin back.)

Also, sorry for sort of derailing the topic whoops.

13. Paidia Haidou

Paidia Haidou Hatchling
    The Celestial Realm

Bones:
    Ƀ248.15
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    Ah. Well... I don't know about manifestations, but from what I can tell it's harder than it used to be. I have a few theories as to why, but I can't say I really know. I do know back home my spirit mother feels as physical as anyone here, but cross dimensional physics gives me a headache.

14. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    @Cipher & @Paidia Haidou:
    Pretty much what you said on the percentages Cipher. It's just this and that with a dash. Paidia, that's how I feel about where we come from actually. I also believe they can manifest here in a sort of physical form, that's why a dash of physical. Weither or not you can see them is another story but they can definitely interact with this realms physical objects. I think the difficulty of interacting with this realm lessens with age and over all power of the demon.

Of course this is all what I believe personally. There is no proof of this.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ845.25
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    @Maggie Darkmoon In that case I think our beliefs are actually pretty similar. I don't divide their energy into death and chaos specifically, but I'm with you on the age and power thing. They could definitely mask their presence, that's kind of standard for both angels and demons in most lore, even non-Abrahamic.

16. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    @Cipher Yeah seems we do. As I said though the %'s are kinda just a throw out there thing. Speaking of masking presences. I don't know if this is a supernatural claim, I have heard you can do this with ebergy work aswell. However you don't have to believe me. I have played with that before. I've walked through malls having to dodge people, it's not like I was invisible or anything but... it definitely had an effect like I wasn't there. Pretty cool huh?

17. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ845.25
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    @Maggie Darkmoon I've often thought to myself that I do the exact same thing without realizing it. I feel...well, pretty much unnoticeable, a lot of the time. Most of the time I feel like I'm just drifting through the background (this is kind of how I feel when I say I'm an "observer" of humanity; background noise, not really part of the group) without notice. Although every now and then I'll realize I've left an impact on people, and it always surprises me to hear them say, because I'm like "people...people really think about me like that?" It's not that I feel nobody cares about me, or that it's a bad thing, and it's never bothered me at all, just that I'm so quiet and small and calm that I don't feel it leaves an impression.

18. Maggie Darkmoon

Maggie Darkmoon Wyrmling
    Kitsune CoveHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ33.09
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    x'D
    @Cipher Your mental state can very much affect your energy and such. I've had it pointed out that I tend to do things subconsciously with my energy/aura and so on. I have realized over time that these are due to subconscious thoughts. Having it pointed out actually brought them to the surface.

I don't have any way to prove this but, I have wished for things to the point of possibly being unhealthy. What I wished for happened however it didn't result in the ways I wanted. Rarely it did but very rarely.