Complaining to get what you want. | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Complaining to get what you want.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Raijun, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Raijun

Raijun Now with 40% less almond
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    After being a frequent reader of sites like customerssuck, notalwaysright, notalwaysworking, and so on, and also working in the retail field myself, I am inclined to think about the subject of complaining.

Yes, there are a myriad of unfortunate reasons for a person to complain, (this one for example), at least on the part of the consumer, but when is it unreasonable to complain? It's a bit obvious to a person, somewhat, but that doesn't really explain why people complain about the radio station in a store, or when the sales total equals $6.66, or why someone thinks they're entitled to park for just a moment in a handicapped spot if they're not. All of these are on one end of the extreme, whereas someone who doesn't complain at all is on the other end, regardless of the terrible things that happen to them.

I really can't see myself complaining about things very much. I'd have to accumulate a treasure trove of logical arguments and various facts to facilitate my role in the discussion that happens. I just can't complain to other people. It's not in me.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Marz

Marz A very curious kitty
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ46.46
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I don't really think there is an all encompassing explanation from this. For children, it can boil down to immaturity or questionable values and priorities placed in them by the parents. The children can even be mimicking the behavior they see exhibited in their parents. If their parents are terribly customers, then they will most likely be the same. For adults however there comes a sense of entitlement in some. All their life they may have gotten what they may have wanted and may be conditioned to complain if they do not get what they want, they are one in a long line of terrible customers, they are having a bad day, who knows. I know when I was a waitress the most problems I encountered were from older (50s and higher) Caucasian men. If I didn't get to some of them first it was the same as me not helping them at all. Of course there are always rude people, but those people who are rude make you appreciate those who approach you with kindness much much more. Any way you look at it, dealing with the public is terrible.

• Like Like x 2
  3. PerkyHedgewitch

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ2.00
    Primary Identity:
    Elfen
    My father in law knows that if he speaks in a grave, serious tone and asks for management he will generally be given whatever he wants. If that doesn't work, he resorts to patronizing whoever he's talking to. I thank my lucky stars that when I worked for Comcast, he never got me on the other end of the line. It would not have gone well.

People seem to forget that you catch more flies with honey. If someone wanted a extra channel, say HBO, for a few months *just* to catch Game of Thrones and they asked nicely... I might have found a way to tack it on free of charge for three months. If they called in demanding something for free because they had been "good customers" for years and years (when I could plainly see their bill was never paid on time) then the reply would have been "I'm sorry sir/ma'am, but my computer system doesn't allow me to do that. I can only add a channel if you're going to pay for it. It's the rules HBO sets for us."

Children may also learn that if they scream and throw a tantrum, they get what they want. That can translate through to adulthood; I have a sibling who knows that if she makes a big stink about *whatever*, she will eventually get her way. She is in her late 20's and still finds a way to inject drama into a situation. I think a lot of people just want the tantrum to stop, and they're not familiar with how to deal with adult tantrums, so they give in. Then the adult who is throwing a fit learns that "Oh, this will get me what I want!" and they continue to behave in such a manner.

• Like Like x 3
  4. TheSolitaryGray

TheSolitaryGray Vaki'ir
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.14
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I recently read the single most amusing excuse I've ever heard for someone refusing to pay for something. I was reading the English edition of Der Spiegel, some story relating to the Greek financial crisis going on right now, when the reporter gave this little anecdote that I still find myself giggling over. The German Chancellor Angela Merkel was on a flight when she suddenly burst into a laughing fit. She then explained (I imagine in the brief moments she had while catching her breath and wiping away the tears of hillarity) that Greece was refusing to pay for a fleet of German submarines it had purchased because they said they were, I kid you not, "crooked." If that's not the prime example of stupid customer complaints, I don't know what is.

• Like Like x 4