• Site Maintenance in progress; pardon our dust!

Do any other Kith feel like this?

Marc

I took a break from any Therian/Otherkin social media after my post pertaining to a post where I was questioning if my one Therian identities.

I think I confirmed. Being animal-hearted is totally valid but I can't help but feel like half the person I was prior. I already felt like a minority in a minority.

Now to find out I am kith not kin - it's kind of a let down? I just wish I could return to be Therian.

I feel like my ability to connect with others who have Kintypes - which seems like a majority - will decrease even more?

Then what's the use in connecting here/at all?

Do any other Kith feel this way?

​

​

I don't think I have any kith-types, but I am going to say this: Does there have to be a reason? Being kith or kin doesn't have a reason per se, it's just what you are, it's not really for a specific purpose.

I don't really see why therians/kin would feel less like communicating and sharing experiences with you because you're hearted, unless they have some sort of superiority complex (in which case they're not worth talking to anyway). Even though some don't, many otherkin/therians have really strong connections to their kintypes, which is what they have in common with kith (who only feel connections). Even if there's not much to share on the side of shifts, in terms of connection to an animal/creature there's still a lot to share and talk about there.

Red-in-Tooth

Machairodont Felid
VIP
It only decreases and diminishes so far as one convinces themselves it does. The true self is not a contest, being or not being one thing or the other is not a win or lose condition here or in life, it is being who one truly is. If that can be done then the game of life has been one in fulfillment and purpose, contentment.

What I also call to mind is the reality that in self- exploration there will be a great deal of discovery good and bad. Not everything an individual is made up of is one or the other and in many ways this is subjective - in this case, one of these outcomes is being viewed negatively, when in reality the learning experience has opened up the path to better understanding. The alternative is to live a life of self-doubt and worse yet, an illusion, a lie. Is it better to live in a place where one can feel like they have a social connection rather than a self connection?

But I to answer the question pointedly, the matter of connecting with similar people is to share commonalities others do not. Not everything will be identical and that we can see anywhere large congregations of like minds are; not everyone has the same experiences, let alone thoughts, or even agreements. For myself, who has a deep and heartfelt, spiritual connection to all things feline, I can never appreciate or be a small cat, but I can take joy in those who are and live up to be those things. I too could be no more a tiger or a leopard or a mountain cat or anything else. Instead I am as I am and my type is by its very nature lonely, empty, alone. I am a dead thing made alive again and I have none but myself, so I can only by proxy take part in the experience. It is also no secret that I and the greater community, as I have freely confessed, do not agree with or see eye to eye on everything, yet here I still am, dipping my toes into the waters of having some sort of mutual common ground.

Velvet

A Lizardy Cat
Staff member
Community Manager
Being kith or 'kin is a different experience but there are certainly many factors which overlap and it's certainly possible to connect with therians even if you're not one yourself. We do have a lot of kith around as well, so you're certainly not alone.

Now I am therian - a feline. But I tend to find I get on better with canines; both actual canines and therians. :p I'm wolf hearted and my connection to wolves has had a much more significant impact on my life and interests then being a therian has. Being kith isn't any less than being therian, in fact for me personally being kith has been a lot more important and meaningful.
Now everyone is different and I certainly don't expect every hearted person to have the same experiences I have. I don't expect every therian to either. Being hearted or therian is a very personal experience and being therian doesn't automatically mean you're going to connect with other therians.
We're a very diverse bunch and even those who share the same kintypes may have vastly different experiences. But you can bet there are still people here you have a lot in common with.

Therian or kith you're still you. That hasn't changed, all that's shifted is your understanding of yourself. And coming to understand yourself better is a huge reason many of us are here.

Marc

I don't think I have any kith-types, but I am going to say this: Does there have to be a reason? Being kith or kin doesn't have a reason per se, it's just what you are, it's not really for a specific purpose.

I don't really see why therians/kin would feel less like communicating and sharing experiences with you because you're hearted, unless they have some sort of superiority complex (in which case they're not worth talking to anyway). Even though some don't, many otherkin/therians have really strong connections to their kintypes, which is what they have in common with kith (who only feel connections). Even if there's not much to share on the side of shifts, in terms of connection to an animal/creature there's still a lot to share and talk about there.

I don't think it's due to a view on superiority. I have nothing but respect for Kith.
This is simply a statement based around myself. My experience really cannot be compared to another.

The reason why I feel 'less qualified' to interact is because I would assume someone identifying as a species would be more of an stronger bond then identifying with a species? At least for me. I know it varies for each person but I am speaking from my point of view. I've always seen myself as this species - for so many years. For it to change just makes me question the validity of all my experiences - if that makes sense? Unless my definition of Kith is wrong?

I definitely see what you are saying though!

Last edited:

Marc

It only decreases and diminishes so far as one convinces themselves it does. The true self is not a contest, being or not being one thing or the other is not a win or lose condition here or in life, it is being who one truly is. If that can be done then the game of life has been one in fulfillment and purpose, contentment.

What I also call to mind is the reality that in self- exploration there will be a great deal of discovery good and bad. Not everything an individual is made up of is one or the other and in many ways this is subjective - in this case, one of these outcomes is being viewed negatively, when in reality the learning experience has opened up the path to better understanding. The alternative is to live a life of self-doubt and worse yet, an illusion, a lie. Is it better to live in a place where one can feel like they have a social connection rather than a self connection?

But I to answer the question pointedly, the matter of connecting with similar people is to share commonalities others do not. Not everything will be identical and that we can see anywhere large congregations of like minds are; not everyone has the same experiences, let alone thoughts, or even agreements. For myself, who has a deep and heartfelt, spiritual connection to all things feline, I can never appreciate or be a small cat, but I can take joy in those who are and live up to be those things. I too could be no more a tiger or a leopard or a mountain cat or anything else. Instead I am as I am and my type is by its very nature lonely, empty, alone. I am a dead thing made alive again and I have none but myself, so I can only by proxy take part in the experience. It is also no secret that I and the greater community, as I have freely confessed, do not agree with or see eye to eye on everything, yet here I still am, dipping my toes into the waters of having some sort of mutual common ground.

Thank you for replying. This was very helpful.
I totally agree with you 110% and it's something I need to learn.

I think it's all just primarily me panicking out of habit. Due to my mental illnesses - I struggle with the whole identity thing.
I think I just got comfortable with having this as a solid part of me and I didn't want to lose what little I have.

May I add you, by the way? Understandable if not! :)

Marc

Being kith or 'kin is a different experience but there are certainly many factors which overlap and it's certainly possible to connect with therians even if you're not one yourself. We do have a lot of kith around as well, so you're certainly not alone.

Now I am therian - a feline. But I tend to find I get on better with canines; both actual canines and therians. :p I'm wolf hearted and my connection to wolves has had a much more significant impact on my life and interests then being a therian has. Being kith isn't any less than being therian, in fact for me personally being kith has been a lot more important and meaningful.
Now everyone is different and I certainly don't expect every hearted person to have the same experiences I have. I don't expect every therian to either. Being hearted or therian is a very personal experience and being therian doesn't automatically mean you're going to connect with other therians.
We're a very diverse bunch and even those who share the same kintypes may have vastly different experiences. But you can bet there are still people here you have a lot in common with.

Therian or kith you're still you. That hasn't changed, all that's shifted is your understanding of yourself. And coming to understand yourself better is a huge reason many of us are here.

I agree. Thank for you helping me see a different perspective.
Definitely something I need to work on.