Do otherkins/therians have to like nature? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Do otherkins/therians have to like nature?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Edan, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Edan

Edan Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ198.90
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    I'm actually asking this out of curiosity and concern. I don't like nature at all honestly, I find life in the city much more appealing. Do you think this has something to do with my theriotype or is it just human nature?

(Sorry if i'm not using this website correctly yet, I'm new to figuring this out.)

2. Marshall

Marshall Magical Angry Furball
    FelineHiatus

White WingsBlack CatRainbow KitsuneChibi Cat
    Bones:
    Ƀ5,371.99
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :noexpression:
    It's cool.

*Quick note*
    The plural for Otherkin is just Otherkin, not Otherkins.

As for your question, you do not have to like nature to be an Otherkin or Therian. Whether you enjoy it or not is irrelevant to the identity.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Edan

Edan Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ198.90
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    Ah sorry about the spelling error, I'm half awake

4. Castellamare

Castellamare little hen
    Dragon

White Winged AngelFerocious Blue WyvernBrown GriffinMale LionBuckDoeBlack CatFemale LionMustangSpotted BuckSpotted DoeRainbow BuckRainbow DoeBlue GriffinSharkCrowGrey RaptorRed RaptorWhite Feathered RaptorGreen RaptorOrange RaptorOtherkin HeptagramWuffyFerocious Alabaster Dragon
    Bones:
    Ƀ141.36
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Yeah, you definitely don't have to like nature, you're a whole new species and it's completely ok to embrace that. I think some otherkin are more prone to liking nature, or people that like nature are more prone to be otherkin because they're more in touch with that side.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Akio

Akio Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ39.94
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Nah, don't have to. I myself am part wolf or at least a canine (still questioning slightly) and those usually live in the nature. I love how nature looks and when I get dragged to the forest I love being there, however I don't really ever go out there by my own choice. So I guess I like nature but I just don't go there. City life is my thing too, but it's more becuase I'm lazy and want the closest store to be a short walk away.

6. Mist Howler

Mist Howler Tofu-Eating Reptilian
    Staff Member Guardian VIP Alien/Spacekin

Blue Shift PhilterSparkling PhilterVoice KeyGold VIP - Six Month Subcription
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,632.46
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Mood:
    :angel:
    Well, looking at this from an outside/alien point of view, humans are a part of nature. So, from that perspective, the question wouldn't make too much sense,for being an alien, since I see humans as animals and they're just going about their lives.The alien-brain of mine seems to equate human life as being similar to that of ants as far as the construction of their colonies, navigation, competitiveness with each other and other species, and their ability cultivation of food.

My apologies for bringing in an abstract view on this topic!

But
    I do know what you're asking! I do prefer to be in a more rural lifestyle myself and being away from human contact and their influences. However, on the flip side, I do enjoy some life the city has to offer from neat stores, awesome theme parks, to interesting cuisines. I am half and half on the matter, as my alien species have both rural and urban areas. So, I do like the rural lifestyle, but I also enjoy some contact with the city.

• Like Like x 1
  7. FireSong

FireSong Wyrmling
    Alien/SpacekinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,001.07
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I definitely don't think so. But also, sort of seconding what @Mist Howler says about humans being part of nature! Technology, cities, etc. aren't really unnatural, because they are our habitats, and tool-use and construction is part of what humans do as a species. It's perfectly natural for someone to feel at home in our artificial environments because they are still part of nature, as they are parts of our own natural behavior, if that makes sense. Like beavers building dams.

Reframing it in terms of 'Do otherkin have to like their kintype's habitts' I'd say definitely not. Look how many 'kin don't like their kintypes, let alone their kintype's habitat... Everyone has their own preferences and different reactions to their otherkinity. Your reaction to nature I think is no less natural than someone liking it.

Personally, I find nature very calming to be in. I like to have a balance of city and nature, mostly because I love the life and convenience of a city but also the quiet and peace of nature... both are surrounded with life, and I enjoy that. But I tend not to see them as wildly differing opposites, just different kinds of habitats for different kinds of species. So maybe I'm a little odd that way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,139.01
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    For the most part, kintypes don't have a whole lot of influence over personality traits, since you are human right now and humans like and dislike things too.
    For instance, I am a sea otter, but the ocean terrifies me because I almost drowned twice (and did once which I how I ended up here).
    So no, you definitely don't have to like or dislike anything, even if it relates to your kintype.

9. Seraphyna

Seraphyna Curmudgeony Shlion
    Elder

Theta DeltaSharkFemale Lion
    Bones:
    Ƀ3,669.57
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :oldwoman:
    First and foremost we're all human beings with very human preferences. What type of climate we prefer, if we like nature or not, what types of habitats we prefer, etc. is all within the realm of normal human preference.

10. Ann

Ann Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ153.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :(
    Not at all. I mean I'm super connected to nature because well I love it. But no you don't have to like nature to be kin.

11. Elvode

Elvode Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ357.07
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    I agree with above posts, you don't have to like nature, it's human not to like it and like it just as it is very human to feel the moon is mysterious.

12. Quxyun

Quxyun Floppy floppy noodle dragon of the sea
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ673.77
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :)
    You don't have to like it, but I have noticed that it does give some people a better appreciation of nature, especially the particular habitat that your kintype would have lived in.

I really like nature, especially the ocean, but I always have. I recognize it's importance, our inter-connection with it, and I appreciate it for it's beauty. Deep forests, stunning mountains, and tranquil seas all have a beauty to them that is indescribable.

Now you don't have to like nature. You are entitled to your own likes and dislikes. It's not like there was any sort of preliminary preferences that you have to have in order to be an otherkin. Nobody handed you a paper test with questions about nature on it when you awakened or joined kinmunity.

From now on, Kinmunity should have SAT tests, (SAT stands for Soil And Trees).
    (bad joke is bad.)

13. Amaris Matris

100% Gamer Blood

Bones:
    Ƀ252.69
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I agree with most of what is said above.

I personally live near the town but halfway into the bush so I am slightly secluded from it. I like this half and half compromise the best because I don't like the idea of living in town but I would much rathe be in walking distance of it than not.

I don't like town because there are just too many people and loud noises, but that's probably because I'm a recluse mostly outside of school.

For me at least, I find being in or near nature makes it muh easier and smoother to shift or I will react more to something that would stimulate a shift if I am in or near nature rather than if I wasn't.

I did ramble a bit but that's my view on the whole thing.