Do people know you are kin? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Do people know you are kin?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mortimer, May 8, 2016.

1. Mortimer

Mortimer Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ94.70
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    :mask:
    Only my best friend knows I'm kin. She only knows I'm a cougar because I recently realized I am also a centaur. I'm really scared for others to know since I'm just heading into college and will probably be made fun of. I also just recently got into a relationship and he doesn't believe in otherkin. I don't really mind because everyone has beliefs but Im afraid to tell him and anyone else for that matter.

2. FireSong

FireSong Wyrmling
    Alien/SpacekinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,001.07
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Generally it depends on what friend group my friends are in. Friends I've made that I talk about religion and spiritual stuff with generally know that I'm otherkin, I don't make a huge secret about it. Many of my offline friends aren't part of that circle, though, and I don't feel a need to talk to them about it much... I try to gauge how open someone will be towards otherkin before opening up, and it's not always even necessary for me to do so.

Sometimes, though, you do luck out. I've ended up meeting more and more non-human people offline, and it's been really nice to have those people to talk to! You might find that in college you meet a greater variety of people, and some might be more similar to you or at least more open to understanding. I find it's most important to just show my loved ones that no matter how 'weird' I am, I'm still sane and capable of being a functional member of society. I do think, however, that I've been pretty lucky in my friendships and loved ones so far.

I hope that everything works out well for you. :) If nothing else, you have this community to go to when you need to feel less alone.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mortimer

Mortimer Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ94.70
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:

4. Ragged Insomnia

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ225.08
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    Only two people know I'm 'kin offline, one of which is a sort of therapist, and the other is a close ghostkin friend. I've just gotten to the point where I feel that I'll keep it to myself unless someone asks; it's simpler that way.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mortimer

Mortimer Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ94.70
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    I feel the same way. There's a lot of questions that come with it.

6. Serious Moonlight

Serious Moonlight Hatchling
    Christian KinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ227.52
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    My best friend knows, and I've mentioned it to another close friend, both of whom have been pretty supportive :) I've mentioned the concept to my mother once or twice, sort of in passing, and she's basically told me 'If you want to identify that way, just give me a little time to understand it.' (She initially heard about it as being pretty tied to Wicca (etc.) and we're both very Lutheran, so if I present it psychologically, as I see it, I think we'll all be fine.)

I've actually been very fortunate so far with letting people know, but I think it's something that will stay mostly online unless someone specifically asks. It can be a lot to explain.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Grey

Grey Doodle Dragon
    Staff Member Guardian Dragon

Unsettling PhilterBold PhilterChibi DragonGold Dragon CoinFerocious Obsidian DragonGold Otherkin Heptagram
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,970.50
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    Yes, several people know. I told my boyfriend first, and he had actually suggested that I may be otherkin before I ever considered it myself. I wasn't terribly well acquainted with otherkin at the time so I thought they were just "crazy people who pretend to be animals" (I thought it was something like the pet play lifestyle). Anyway, I told a few of my friends because they are furries and they have a general understanding of otherkin and they don't think badly of me for it anyway (at least openly). A few of my furry friends are also otherkin and therians so that is a fun little tidbit.

Weirdly enough, a mutual friend of my boyfriend and I, who doesn't know me very well on a personal level but has hung out with me enough to get a sense that something was up with my apparent obsession with dragons and he asked if I was otherkin as well. I wasn't there at the time, but now he knows too I guess. And I feel really self conscious that I must be so obvious about it!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mortimer

Mortimer Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ94.70
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    Sometimes when I smell food I tilt my head up to scent the air. I always get scared people are going to call me out lol

9. Mew

Mew Unidentified Shapeshifting Object
    Hiatus

Black CatBuckBarghestFriendly Fox
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,493.05
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    My roommates don't know the term otherkin, but they know I identify as non-human on an integral level, which... is the definition, so I count them as knowing.

But that's just offline, online, like on my tumblr and stuff I'm pretty open about it. It's a lot easier to escape a situation online than offline, so I'm more comfy talking about it, I guess.

10. Mortimer

Mortimer Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ94.70
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    I only talk about it online. I never talk about it with my friends or family:/

11. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

CrowBarghest
    Bones:
    Ƀ707.15
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    The only people who know I'm 'kin are the people on this forum. I'm a very private person irl, so i don't really tell anyone anything about myself haha.

Sometimes I like to imagine what it would be like if one of my friends came and told me they were otherkin. I think that would be the only way I would tell someone about my otherkin identity, if they confided in me about theirs first.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mortimer

Mortimer Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ94.70
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    I was thinking about telling my dad about it. I brought it up and he calls it, I qoute "the crazy wolf people". So he doesn't know I identify as otherkin.

13. AshenFall

AshenFall Danger Floof
    Staff Member Guardian Elder VIP Thoughtform Haven

Direflame PhilterBold PhilterMidnight Neon PhilterFerocious Orange Dragon
    Bones:
    Ƀ81.56
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    Outside of those of my friends actively in the otherkin community, only one person knows, a good friend of mine from college. She is the only person I have thus far been comfortable with telling as she is open minded about things like that.

14. Mirath

Mirath The Animus Master
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Background Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ13,263.93
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    Outside of this online community, I've told only three people that I trust fully. And recently they pass Kyoko's judgment, so that's another positive for telling someone trustworthy.

15. Velvet Wings

Velvet Wings Feline of the Root
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Black CatTheta DeltaBioluminescent Wyvern
    Bones:
    Ƀ3,300.87
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Outside of the online community I've only talked about being therian with one person, my partner.
    I've never mentioned it to anyone else, although I'm sure people pick up on it. Despite not actually liking cat's much I'm forever getting given cat things for gifts. And I once heard my mum talking to her cat and telling him to come meow at me instead because "she'll understand you, she's like a cat".

So, while I've not told people, I think those that know me very well still pick up on it at a subconscious level.

16. House of Chimeras

House of Chimeras Book-loving Historians
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ501.29
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Online, we are very open about being multiple (and usually that in-turn leaves us to be fairly open about most of our members being nonhuman). Online allows us a chance to just be ourselves as a group. So most places online, otherkin related or not, are usually fair game for us being open about it, though we usually don't talk about it less it comes up or something.

Offline, a number of people know. Most people who know we are multiple and trans usually find out we are otherkin in time. How long it takes usually depends on how long it takes headmates with definitely not normal humans names to be mentioned or talked to or how long it takes other people to ask what we look like. Because of this, every therapist we have had knows (plus we did see them for species dysphoria too), our mother knows, several friends, and a few old professors (one because we once tried to write a paper about otherkin and he asked us if we were one).

- Ocean Touched (bigender, blue glaucus and frilled shark)

17. Charias

Charias Wandering Wolf
    Demonkin

Bones:
    Ƀ1,343.14
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    The only person I've told about it is my mum - and I only told her because I had a genuine reason for her to know. I was actually terrified to tell her because I was sure she'd react badly, but she actually took it really well? She was actually the one that suggested I should get back into the community, because she said it'd do me good to be able to talk about it to people who understand. After I told her, I said I probably wouldn't bring it up again and she was fine with that. Nothing's changed since I told her, which I'm actually very glad about.

But in general, I wouldn't tell someone offline unless I felt there was some real need for them to know (I'll probably tell my therapist when I get one) or if I was very, very close to them. And considering I'm ace/aro (so no life partners for me) and have serious trust issues, I doubt that'll ever happen.

Online I'm very open about it though. Not that I shove it in people's faces or anything, but I'll usually mention it on introductions and profile pages, and if someone asks about it, I'll answer.

18. Elvode

Elvode Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ356.92
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    The only one who knows outside of this community is my sister, she's open minded and also share the same beliefs.
    I once told a friend and she dismissed it as wishful thinking or daydreaming, because of that I don't like sharing it with other people offline.

19. Cedrotea

Cedrotea Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ379.41
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Just my boyfriend, who also identifies as nonhuman. I'm pretty sure if the people offline knew they'd think I was a total weirdo for sure. Online some people know, maybe three people. And this forum of course!

20. Masema

Masema Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ30.77
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I don't generally let people know IRL because if the knew that I "thought" that there was more than one person in this body, they just might think I am "nuttier than squirrel poo" as J.K. Rowling put it.