• Site Maintenance in progress; pardon our dust!

do you have any hobbies that relate to you kin type?

FoxChi

do you have any hobbies that relate to you kin type?  e.g. say, your a bunny, and your hobby is gardening.  Or a cheetah, and you like running.

I'm a grey wolf, and I enjoy hunting!  :LoveBone:

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
I'm an all mighty magical warrior king! (Sort of) 

I'm a tai chi instructor, which actually is a martial art. Though honestly it's just a beginner class, mostly for seniors, so it's more about teaching them not to fall down than it is about making other people fall down. They love it when I get martial though, and since the art doesn't require physical strength to be effective, almost anyone can do it. It's got elements of healing and "magic" as well. It's the closest thing you can get to being a Jedi at the higher levels. 

My avatar over there is a screenshot from the game, Warframe. That's the Egyptian-themed frame with the Horus helmet. Run fast, kill stuff, what's not to like? (Except maybe the fact that playing too long wrecks my shoulder. So I've been trying to stay off of it lately.) 

I also enjoy strategy builder games like Frostpunk, Rimworld, and Planetbase.  (Currently avoiding for the same reason.)

I'm looking forward to the delivery of my Oculus Rift next week so I can have some fun slicing cubes with lightsabers in Beat Saber. (At least it's exercise, right? Might even be good for my shoulders.) 

B

bhiurd

Unverified
I participate in Vulture Culture, gardening, and am looking to start hunting and doing taxidermy eventually! I used to do martial arts too, however it's just not my thing so I stopped doing it not too long ago. I also play games a lot, though I tend to play games like MineCraft and WolfQuest more than other types.

And studying! Studying things I'm interested in, anyway, not school-wise - I study a lot in psychology and biology via the internet whenever I can, it's really interesting!

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
@FoxChi Tai Chi doesn't go to the ground like Jiu Jitsu does. You could think of it like stand up wrestling, though that doesn't exactly describe it either. We do get up close and use circular movements and leverage rather than straight forward attacks and blocks. On the outside, it doesn't look like we're doing anything, but we use a lot of tricks, both physical and mental, to store energy throughout our bodies to be released in an instant. Real high level Tai Chi looks fake, like the person just fell down or went flying for no reason. It is possible to throw someone across the room using very little physical force. And if that energy is directed down instead of out, it ends very badly for the other guy. 

I do wrestling, MMA, hiking and wilderness survival training, all of which help me connect to my wolf theriotype, and oddly enough forensics helps too. Working out seems to help me with species dysphoria, since having a more powerful body is good for a wolf. 

LastSaveFile

Can’t really say if any of my hobbies align to my kins. I do a lot of art and play video games. Though I guess my love of crafting things could stem from being Jack Spicer and the video gaming from Tomura Shigaraki

Red-in-Tooth

Machairodont Felid
VIP
Speaking as a sabertooth cat, almost all of my interests as actual "hobbies" are physical, even if I might not enjoy them. I am by no means a runner yet it is compulsion to run and stay in shape in terms of cardiovascular ability. The desire to run is internal, that something continuously says, "You cannot hunt if you cannot run." It is the same with weight lifting or calisthenics, in that the urge and subconscious says, "There is no way you can wrestle your prey if you are not strong. You must exercise." Which is of little issue to me, I much prefer that to running, but there are other ones too. In the outdoors, a hobby of mine is attempting to be visually acute, really sensory awareness at large, in particular trying to learn smell, so when I go on even a walk or a trail all of the urge is to be aware for danger so it alters just what a walk or hike actually means. This expands further to survival skill or readiness in somewhat strange ways, such as conditioning. It is much too cold outside? Wear the bear minimum required to not suffer injury but accustom yourself to the cold and know the differences between cold and cold, know how and when to keep the joints and muscles moving, know how to read the weather by scent and air pressure beyond sight, become accustomed to hardship.

Yet at the same time, I enjoy a great deal of introspective business and collect knowledge. It feels like a mission to obtain every shred of information I can retain, particularly those secretive in nature or obscure. It is a trope of cats, certainly, but it feels like a compulsion to analyze, internalize, and use all of these varied things. Which of course leads one to reading any breadth of things.