Kinmunity

Welcome to Kinmunity - We're an online community resource and forum for alterhumans including: otherkin, therians, vampires, and others with non-human identities

In order to receive full access to Kinmunity, you'll have to register an account. Registering gives you access to the following features:

• The ability to create new threads and reply to existing ones on our forums.
  • The ability to read messages in "The Dens", our members only area.
  • The ability to chat with others in our Discord server.
  • The ability to create your very own blog on the site - write whatever you want!
  • The ability to create, join, and participate in social groups!
  • and so much more...
So what are you waiting for? Join Kinmunity today!

Does your theriotype have to do with your race...?

BlueJay

He/Him
Like, if I'm white, does that mean I cannot be an animal from areas that don't correlate with my race? (Ex. Zebras pandas ect.)
If I seem rasict I do not wish to be

FoxyAnimations

Conceptkin
Thief's Toolbox
Shark
Gay Pride
Barghest
Bisexual Pride
Shadow Dog
Other (see signature)
No. Race doesn't even have to do with therianthropy. Also, suggestion box is for suggestions for the sites, this would actually belong in Kin'Q&A but it's alright. I made the same mistake a few times, im sure.

CaraKin

Asexual Pride
Therianthrope
Fictionkin
Any/All
No, it doesn't. I'm 'white' but my kintype is from Africa and is spiritually ingrained in some native cultures. Being a therian might influence your thoughts on race however - racism is a distinctly human thing, and though some animals might have preference based on color (ex. black-maned lions are seen as better suitors than other lions) they don't really persecute or hate others of their species based on that. So a therian, with their animal mindset, might not understand race. The thing we call 'race' is genetic variation, and that is a good thing because species with high genetic diversity have a lower chance of extinction. So it makes no sense to my cat brain.

RowanWolf

A wolf in human's clothing
Staff member
Guardian
Crow
Non-Binary Pride
Bisexual Pride
Asexual Pride
Otherhearted
Genderfluid Pride
Otherkin
Therianthrope
They/Them
I would have to agree. We don't choose our kintypes, so we really have no control over where they come from. I myself have one theriotype from Northern North America, one theriotype North Africa, and one kintype whose lore comes from the Middle East (although I did not live on this planet during that lifetime), and I'm questioning a kintype from the Far East. I'm white and Latine. I agree with what @CaraKin said about race being a very human thing. It never made sense to me that humans are so judgmental about the amount of melanin other humans' skin. None of us asked to be what we are. That doesn't mean we can completely ignore race in our day to day lives as part of human society, because we do need to understand how it impacts the way folkel experience the world and, for those of us who are white, we need to understand the privileges we're granted as a result of that (and how to use them to create positive change). So while race is important to understand for other reasons, it has no bearing at all on our theriotypes and kintypes.

mercurypigeon

Crow
Therianthrope
They/Them
Nope. Natta. Zilch. Race plays no part in kintypes. Especially looking at it from a spiritual point of view: what purpose would arbitrarily following some weird primates viewing of other weird primates be? Nothing at all. If anything, living lives in places where another ethnicity resides and then reincarnating into a different ethnicity would help one understand others better.

DrDisRespect

He/Him
I’m African-American multiracial. I’m comprised of a lot of races within my ancestry; A lot. Like almost two thirds of all races. I can say that my factkin source is actually of Caucasian decent. Not sure why you wouldn’t be able to have an identity not apart of your primary racial experience if it’s not malicious. Especially if it’s a kintype—which you don’t get the opportunity to choose for or against.

Red-in-Tooth

Machairodont Felid
+Primal Member
VIP
Therianthrope
Golden Shield
He/Him
Race has zero relation to all of what is "other", @BlueJay.

The concept of race also quickly breaks down if one begins tracing the lineages of various species across time, even human beings, and is while a physical result of the evolutionary process in progress toward adaptation to environments that becomes actual evolution, and so has no correlation to therianthropy or similar. Even regular human perceptions of organisms are often wildly inaccurate because they are so temporally insignificant, humans having existed all too briefly and having all too limited of a concept of how the fourth dimension in time actually functions. An example of this is the cheetah, often thought of as an exclusively African species and iconic of the savannah, which really has its origins in North America hundreds of thousands of years ago. It persists in its modern extent in Africa solely because of the change of the planet over the last major interglacial period, what is often referred to as the "Ice Age", where it largely migrated out of that habitat in following its prey over countless generations to where its modern incarnation is now because the planet has been undergoing a steady process of warming back to its normal climate. This is, in fact, why Africa is the last continent on the entire planet which contains megafauna left over from this period even, which people scarcely know, let alone comprehend. Point being, race is extremely asynchronous with species which are not humans.

As @RowanWolf noted too, no one chooses their "kintype", either one simply is that thing regardless of their opinion of it, or they are not that thing and thus are not in this case, "kin" to it. It is not an elective process any more than one's own race in this lifetime, at least not in the earthly sense. If one is a zebra but comes from the Pacific, is that any less valid? Not at all, no less valid than if one was born in Taiwan yet is of African descent. It is non-elective in either case, just as no one chooses to be in this life man or woman, blonde or brunette, islander or mainlander, rich or poor, at least so far as psychological perspectives can go. Many spiritual systems do say one, in the spirit, chooses who and what they wish to be to experience in this life, or are sent into a life to live to do these things, but of these things so too nothing can be definite about them, thus the argument is a non-argument; no one can say positive or negative against.

This all raises a question then if one is not "otherkin" but something else and electively chooses to be say, said zebra, is it then racist? The question then becomes, "Is one biasing for or against that decision based on racial conceptions?" If so, it may have undertones of racism, for recall it is favoritism for or against a race depending on how it is expressed. But is it inherently racist, in the stereotypical negative aspect we all imagine? Perhaps, perhaps not, that is an ethical debate that will likely never be settled. It might one day be found that being infatuated with a certain culture, society, race, or so on is outright negative or maybe it is not, but in this instance, is one being negligent and disrespectful in the process? If not, and one has done no harm and intends no harm, then there is no malice and thus no issue.

Last edited:

YourLocalWolfAndFox

Other (see signature)
Not at all! In fact, ima British Columbian Wolf and I'm not British Columbian nor anywhere near it. It doesn't matter, not even a little!