Dream dream dream... | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Dream dream dream...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gryff, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur
    Elder Your Kintype is What

Chibi DragonBrimstone DemonMustang
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,816.75
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :hushedface:
    Ah, dreams. So nice, so helpful, so interesting. Such a pain in the rear to remember. I've been trying to induce lucid dreaming lately, but it occurs to me that I need to be able to remember my dreams before that will do me any good. I've tried all the usual stuff; telling myself to remember them as I go to bed, keeping a dream log and reading it before bed, having a (somewhat) regular sleep schedule, etc. But I don't know, it's been months since I've remembered a dream, and it had been months before that. Any advice anyone can share?

2. outcasted animal

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.00
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Have you tried getting more sleep? As weird as it may sound.

I've found that I remember mine better when I get over 8 hours of sleep or I'm taking a nap between dropping my roommate off at work and having to go to work myself. If you're too exhausted, you won't end up dreaming because you'll be stuck in deep sleep.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur

Bones:
    Ƀ1,816.75
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    It's true; according to my sleep tracking software on my phone and watch, the night I went to bed unusually early was the only night in ages that I actually had a bit of REM sleep. Any other thoughts?

4. Raijun

Raijun Now with 40% less almond
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    I keep hearing that having a dream journal (and pen) next to your bed is very helpful. I think it would exercise your dream-remembering muscles. Those are a thing, right? Dream-remembering muscles? Okay.

I also find that doing half an hour of meditation before sleeping, whether in bed or otherwise, is very helpful as well. Whenever I sit completely still and manage my breath for a long time before falling asleep, I generally have a far better recollection of my dreams, as well as having lengthier, more complex and elaborate, and worthwhile dreams.

I don't know if it would help with lucidity, but there's no harm in trying.

5. TheAncientOne

TheAncientOne The Real Fullmetal Alchemist
    Hiatus

Background Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ94.98
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    It is very helpful to write down your dream where you can go back and research it. Plus you can jot down feelings, thoughts and ideas that are 'kin related. I hope this helps.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur

Bones:
    Ƀ1,816.75
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    Thanks very much for the suggestions. Those are definitely things that I've been doing. That said, since my writing is barely legible at the best of times, I've been recording my recollection of dreams. I'd hate to have a Seinfeld moment where I have a dream, write it down, and can't read it the next morning :) I've taken some time to settle things in my head too, so that should help as well.

7. Draconi kratosus

Draconi kratosus Keeper of the Memory, Dream Interpreter

Bones:
    Ƀ20.97
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    Yes, keeping a dream journal is helpful. I find that performing a writing meditation in the hour or so before going to sleep helps as well.