Existence and what is real | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Existence and what is real

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dinocanid, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Dinocanid

Dinocanid Living matryoshka doll
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ54.45
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    To you, what does it mean for something to exist? To be real? Looks like it's time to get philosophical!

By definition, something is real when it is not imaginary or a work of fiction. Something exists when it has being.

To me, something can exist and not be real; but it doesn't work vice versa. IE: pokemon exist, but aren't real. Something cannot be real without existing because it isn't there to be real. It's unthought of and thus, doesn't exist. Once something is thought of, it exists. It may not be real, but it exists.
    But let's dig deeper. I'll use dinosaurs as an example. An extension of the above definitions is to have life/ animation. Dinosaurs exist, but aren't alive. By dictionary definition, are dinosaurs not real? They were real, but since they don't house life or animation, can technically be classified as not real in the present day. Real has two definitions when used in this way. By the first definition, dinosaurs are real, but by the second they aren't; at least not anymore.

There is also the third option of just not being present.
    Numbers are super tricky. They exist, but are technically not real. They're imaginary things we use to keep order. So let's do some simple math.
    1-1=0
    Since we took away the one, some people may say it no longer exists. It does exist; but is no longer present because we took it away.
    0+1=1
    The one is now back. It never stopped existing, we just took it away for a while and it's present again.

Let's relate to dragons!
    Dragons exist; but aren't real by any definition. Some may also use real as a relative term. (A dragon not being real on this plane, but real on another.) Either way they exist in some form.

So...discuss :p This isn't completely about science, but it also isn't spiritual; it's in the middle so i just put this here.

2. Draconi kratosus

Draconi kratosus Keeper of the Memory, Dream Interpreter

Bones:
    Ƀ20.97
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    According to some religions (of which I am not particularly part of) reality is simply nothing. Life and everything occurs all in the mind.
    Also, it is impossible to directly interact with your surroundings because of the filter of your senses. For all intents and purposes we could be brains floating in jars and life is just a dream.

3. LinRae

LinRae Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ12.82
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Interesting concept. What if what we think is real about the world is only real because people believe it is true. Like a chemical reaction only occurs because you or a number of people believe it will happen. Therefore if mass numbers of people believe in supernatural creatures living alongside us, or paranormal phenomena is real, these things then become real due to the fact that people believe it. :3

• Like Like x 4
  4. Gryff

Gryff Uber-Geek Fauntaur
    Elder Your Kintype is What

Chibi DragonBrimstone DemonMustang
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,816.75
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :hushedface:
    I have to believe that certain basic things are real, or else I drive myself crazy. I don't need any more help with that, thank you very much. If I can observe something with my senses, it's real to me. So to use one of your examples, I can observe the picture of an Infernape on my 3DS, but not an Infernape itself. That means the 3DS is real, but the Infernape is not.

5. PinkTitanium

PinkTitanium The Fallen Faerie
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ47.76
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    @LinRae Kinda how positive thought creates positive action, and speaking things in to existence?

Example: Person 1- "Nothing good ever happens for me, I'll never be happy, I'll never know a life like yours."
    Person 2- "I belive good things will happen to me, I believe I will be happy, I strive to live a life opposite yours"
    Person 1 life remains miserable, Person 2, life remains peaceful.

Make sense?

6. LinRae

LinRae Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ12.82
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Power of Positive thinking! I was actually just posing an off the wall theory that the world only exists as it is believed to exist >.> and therefore belief shapes the way that the world works, ergo, lots and lots of people believe in the world the way science defines it, and for the most part(especially for these people) this is the way the world works because it is what the predominant belief is. but for those who believe they can shape the world with their belief(aka. magick) they can make small changes, not too astray from the dominant scientific belief. Also people see what they want.

#6 LinRae, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2015
    • Like Like x 4
  7. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ400.30
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    I tend to really get confused when I think about this, because in my mind, there's truly no way to know if anyone or anything exists. I certainly don't believe reality does, as it's different per person. This all gets my head in a swirl trying to plot out just how it all comes together... as for what makes something exist for me, in my reality, it just has to be simply fathomed. I follow the motto that anything is possible, after all.

8. Seraphyna

Seraphyna Curmudgeony Shlion
    Elder

Theta DeltaSharkFemale Lion
    Bones:
    Ƀ3,779.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :oldwoman:
    If you ask me, something exists if we can measure it, understand it, etc. If there is evidence for it, it is real...undeniably.

9. LinRae

LinRae Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ12.82
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Show me a vacuum or show me a quantum particle or photon. Some we know exist based on their interactions with other things, but cannot be perceived directly. Prove that a compass reacts to the believed electromagnetic field of the earth and not by what can be considered magic.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Seraphyna

Seraphyna Curmudgeony Shlion
    Elder

Theta DeltaSharkFemale Lion
    Bones:
    Ƀ3,779.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :oldwoman:
    Are you just going to disagree with everything I post on principle? Or did you just not read my post before deciding to be contrary? I'll repeat if there is evidence for it, it is real. If it can be measured, understood, etc. it is real.

11. LinRae

LinRae Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ12.82
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I read it, and consulted with someone who teaches science with how to word my reply. :) I am not disagreeing on principle. If I was I wouldn't try to provide logic.