Favorite Games? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Favorite Games?

Discussion in 'Games & Video Games' started by aqualit, Oct 14, 2015.

1. aqualit

aqualit Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    I'm a very strong believer of games as art, and my personal definition of art is 'something that changes the way, or makes you think'. I've had a lot of games change my way of thinking, and that have moulded me as a person. This being said I'd really like to hear what games you all hold near and dear to your heart, or games that have made a change in you.
    As some of you might know I'm working and learning to be a game developer myself, and my passions really lie in games so hearing these things just put a big old spring in my step! They don't have to be technically good games, they can be anything that's put a smile on your face.
    Granted, it's not very polite of me to ask for your favourites without a breakdown of my own:

It's not easy to pick a favorite game when you have so many, but I do know which game has made the biggest impact on me personally. As a lot of people know by far my favourite game series is the Legend of Zelda, and if you ask me which game is my favorite my head will probably explode. However, The a Legend of Zelda - Ocarina of Time had a huge impact on me growing up. It was my obsession, I played it constantly, talked about it all the time and since 1998 I've probably beaten it over 50 times.
    It opened my eyes to fantasy and adventure, I was a cool (handsome) hero in a fantastic world saving the princess from a big (hot??) evil villain. It just made a little imprint on who I turned out to be, and I've played every Zelda game to date because of it. It's like we've grown up together.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Raijun

Raijun Now with 40% less almond
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    Ah, a Zelda fan! Do you have any positive experiences with the old isometric or top-down Zelda games, like ALTTP? Ever wanted to make your own? I know of a fantastic program. Here is an example of what it can do. Here is another, albeit with a considerable amount of scripting.

To answer the question, I've always been a fan of the Wing Commander series for the PC. It was my first experience with truly immersive storytelling. Yes, it's all about piloting a space fighter and doing your best out there, but the level of camaraderie is impossible to ignore. It's a brilliant way to immerse a person, and it makes you appreciate every little action that you do while in that space fighter.

• Like Like x 2
  3. aqualit

aqualit Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    @Raijun I love all my Zelda games, especially the 2D games. (I even have the Hylian crest tattooed on my upper arm.) A Link to the Past is actually my favorite of all the 2D titles, even if Link's Awakening is a little more nostalgic. Pixel art is my passion- and I've made quite a few games now! I'm in a Game Design bachelor program so I don't have much choice. We mainly use unity for developing! I've used RPG maker in the past for personal stuff though.
    I love the little things that help someone immerse themselves into a game and feel more connected to it. I've never personally played Wing Commander but I'll have to look into it if I'm ever making a similarly themed game!

4. Raijun

VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    One thing to look out for is whether the player's character has a name or not, and whether it matters. Wing Commander, for examples, gives you a chance to enter your callsign at the beginning of the game (Like how fighters' names are Catscratch, Jazz, Spirit, etc) but you yourself never hear your own entered callsign in-game because it's all voice-actors in the later games, so entering it doesn't matter. It breaks immersion slightly, but the fact that you even have one is important because it equalizes you with all the other pilots.

It all does equate to immersion in the end. I think it's why Skyrim was so successful. All the little details were worked on so much that when you played, you knew you were surrounded by the game, and not just interacting with it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p
    Staff Member Administrator

Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relaxed:
    Anybody who knows me well (and many who don't know me well at all) knows that I'm a major fan of the Sonic the Hedgehog series! I have other games I love to play too, so I'll list them below in the order in which I enjoy them.

• Sonic The Hedgehog (series)
      • 2D
        • Sonic The Hedgehog 2 [Genesis]
        • Sonic The Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles [Genesis] (I consider these one game, as they were originally intended to be)
        • Sonic The Hedgehog [Genesis]
        • Sonic The Hedgehog CD [SegaCD]
        • Sonic The Hedgehog 4 [Android]
      • 3D
        • Sonic Adventure [Dreamcast]
        • Sonic Adventure 2 [Dreamcast]
        • Sonic Unleashed [XBox 360] (wii version is okay, but MUCH different)
        • Sonic Colors [Wii]
        • Sonic Heroes [Gamcecube]
        • Sonic 3D Blast [Genesis]
        • Shadow The Hedgehog [GameCube]
        • Sonic & The Secret Rings [Wii]
        • Sonic and the Black Knight [Wii]
        • Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric [Wii U]
        • Sonic Lost World [Wii U]
    • Furcadia [PC] (MMO)
    • Second Life [PC] (MMO)
    • Super Smash Brothers [Wii U]
    • Town of Salem [PC]
    I like all sorts of games, but these are definitely my favorites and most played.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Redfang

Redfang Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ4.50
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I have a weird taste in games.
    • The older and new games for etiher DSi or 3DS
    • Wolf Quest
    • Lioden.com
    • COD Black Ops II & COD Advanced Warfare. Because you know, adrenaline.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Draconi kratosus

Draconi kratosus Keeper of the Memory, Dream Interpreter

Bones:
    Ƀ20.97
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    The game that I feel is my favourite would have Mirror's Edge.
    It gave a view on humanity not seen in many other games. It showed how humans could be over protective, it also gave a sense of the freedom we all crave. Plus it also got me hooked into parkour.

I don't really have any single favourite games otherwise.
    I do have fave franchises though:
    -Halo
    -Assassin's Creed
    - Legend of Zelda
    -Prince of Persia

• Like Like x 2
  8. aqualit

aqualit Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    @Shiro I know I don't personally know you all that well and I was very aware of the Sonic love. I like a lot of the older Sonics but the one I have the best memory of was I think on GameCube. I don't recall much more than that unfortunately. Sonic heathen.
    I also played Furcadia for years and years. I started when I was in 6th grade and continued through highschool. I haven't touched it in quite a long time though. A good six or so years of my life was spent there!

@Redfang hush now there's no silly such thing as weird taste in games. All games are special to at least someone and that's what matters! I know I don't go pretty much anywhere without my 3DS it's like my child.

@Draconi kratosus Mirrors Edge is an amazing game! It really pushed boundaries and made its own genre. It's pretty fondly regarded as an important game in game history and as a building block for newer bigger things! (At least in my program)
    Not to mention props for liking Zelda, not like anyone could dislike such an awesome game! I tried parkour in highschool (running up a brick wall) and made it like one step and ate it. I'm a much better swimmer.

I'm really enjoying reading your responses guys! Keep them coming you're fueling the fires in this young game dev's heart.

• Like Like x 2
  9. CreamCheese

CreamCheese Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Wurm Online and The Long Dark are my current favorites, with the occasional helpings of Shadow of the Colossus and Civilization V.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p
    Staff Member Administrator

Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relaxed:
    @aqualit I played Furcadia almost religiously through both middle school and high school. I am currently volunteer staff. :p

• Like Like x 2
  11. aqualit

aqualit Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    @CreamCheese I just very recently started replaying Shadow of the Collosus! It's a really fantastic game I like to recommend to everyone who hasn't played it. Who could say no to like 16 consecutive boss fights? Not this guy.

@Shiro I volunteered as a helper beekin for a bit and actually loved doing it a lot. Now I'm curious how things have changed! I really liked being able to make my own dreams and things, like an easy game maker. There were just so many artistic possibilities! Not to mention all the friends I made there too.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Lavrii

Lavrii Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ4.99
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Oh, my list is huge for video games. I played way too much when I was little. My favorite games are multiplayer wise are. Halo 3, Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops 2, Zombies from COD, Super Smash Bros, Mario Strikers, Mario Party, CS GO, League of Legends, Garry's Mod, Halo Wars, Gears of Wars 2, Banjo Kazooie Nuts & Bolts, Castle Crashers, Minecraft, Terraria, Skate 2, Skate 3, White Noise Online, Dying Light, GTA 5, Left for Dead, Day Z. My favorite games playing the game for the story are: Fallout 3, Kingdom Hearts, Luigi's Mansion, Mirror's Edge, Super Mario Sunshine, Some of the Sonic Games (Don't really remember the names) Last of Us, Outlast, Border Lands, Assassin's Creed, Dead Space, Dead Island, Zelda, StarFox, Custom Robo, Nintendogs, Pokemon. I also love rhythm games. OSU, and DDR are my favorite. I want to get a DDR pad, and the game. There are so many games that I'm missing on here. These are the ones that I remember playing for hours.

13. aqualit

aqualit Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    @Lavrii I know how hard it is to pick a favorite, it hurts me every single time- especially because I could probably say at least one good thing about every game I've played. DDR Extreme 2 is my personal favorite, you can get the game and pad on eBay pretty cheap. If you like rhythm games you should check out PaRappa the Rapper, it's a really fun and quirky one!
    And thanks for reminding me how badly I want to replay Super Mario Sunshine!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Lavrii

Lavrii Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ4.99
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    @aqualit Super Mario Sunshine is amazing! The bonus level with the river thing was the only thing that was super annoying about that game. Well, for me. It took me the longest time to pass that one. I completed everything on there though ^^

15. aqualit

aqualit Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Merfolk
    @Lavrii I really want to go back through and do a 100% playthrough and enjoy the game all over again. I'm honestly crossing my fingers for a new 3D Mario game like this in the near future.

16. CatDogDevil

CatDogDevil Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    My favorites in no particular order include:
    Super Mario 64, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy X, .hack// (both series), Maplestory, Phantasy Star Online, and most recently Dark Souls 2

• Like Like x 2
  17. Raijun

VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ32.00
    Primary Identity:
    Changling
    I think I still have my own pad for the PS1. But I play Stepmania, which is essentially a "custom" DDR experience. Other people make their own songs and stepfiles and you can play through them, even on a pad if you have the adapter for the PC. I had over a thousand songs at one point before I stopped playing inexplicably.

• Like Like x 2
  18. dextro

dextro Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.00
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Mass Effect series. Oh my God, it's my favorite. I don't care about what ending is best or whatever, I just enjoy the diversity of characters and seeing the different alien species interact in a very modern way. Racism/species-ism exists in the universe. Discrimination. There's the thugs and heros, the losers and the winners. High rollers and those who need a helping hand. It feels so real to me, that I could interact with beings of my own species in such a way.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ400.30
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    Uhmmm, I'm absolutely horrible at most games, but I used to love Super Smash Bros Melee? Plus, a lot of other DS, DSi and 3DS games that I'm still rubbish at. Aaaand, I liked Horse Isle in 2012. That's about the extent of games for me, haha.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Farkas

Farkas Pseudo-Son of Awesome, The Wolf on Stilts
    Elder VIP 100% Gamer Blood

Unsettling PhilterAbstract PhilterBold PhilterFarkleSparkle PaladinVoice KeyGold Fox CoinWuffyRainbow KitsuneBlue Wolf
    Bones:
    Ƀ52,043.65
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I love games. Hell, they're practically my life. I play a lot of games, and the list below is a select few that I truly enjoy day after day.
    - Counter Strike: Global Offensive
    - Rocket League
    - Amnesia: The Dark Descent (Haven't played in a while, but I still count it since it's amazing)
    - Crypt of the NecroDancer
    - Rust
    - Guns of Icarus
    - Civilization V
    - Terraria
    - Town of Salem
    - Mass Effect
    - Penumbra (Series)
    - Dead Space
    - Last of Us
    If you count physical games, any RPG works, Cards Against Humanity (crude but fun), Drunk Stoned or Stupid, and Magic: The Gathering.
    That's part of my list, figured I wouldn't list it all since my gaming career has lasted almost 4 years at this point