Favourite books? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Favourite books?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, & Art' started by Antares, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Antares

Antares Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ29.65
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I know there is a thread for books already, but this one is about your favourites, regardless of wether you are reading them right now or not.

Here are my favourites:
    • Momo by Michael Ende
      It may be a story for children but it is the kind of book that makes you question what you take for granted.
      And I love its surreal tone.

• The Earthsea Series by Ursula K. Leguin
      Yeah, I'm cheating hehe... there are about 4 books in the series (5 if you count The Other Wind), but it has one of the most unique portrayals of magic I've ever read, and also the most incredible, awe-inspiring portrayal of dragons I've seen in any fantasy series.
      Its also not as hard to read as Lord of the Rings but not as lighthearted or modern as Harry Potter, so to me it is the perfect fantasy.

• I Robot by Isaac Asimov
      Because robots are cool. I have a thing for non-human sentience/ intelligence, and this was the first book I read that talked about it.

• Almost anything by H.P Lovecraft
      Yeah, I'm cheating again... I love a good scare and H.P Lovecraft manages to scare me in a way no other author can. His work is very unique, sometimes scary, sometimes awe-inspiring, and most of his work are short stories, which is great for someone with my attention span lol. My favourites are "Beyond the Wall of Sleep", "The Cats of Ultar", "Hypnos" and "The Whisperer in Darkness"

2. Kitsu

Kitsu Kapptsune

Bones:
    Ƀ127.02
    Primary Identity:
    Kitsune
    MacBeth by Shakespeare because is shows a human villain with human emotions.

Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle because it's fun.

Wings of Fire: Moon Rising by Tui T. Sutherland because I liked how the main character could communicate with the old dragon, and how she could read thoughts.

Don Quixote by Miguel De Cervantes because I haven't finished it and Quioxte's a delusional man who thinks he's a knight, which is quite funny in the book.

Warrior Cats: Omen of the Stars: The Last Hope by Erin Hunter because it was a good end.

Inheritance Cycle: Inheritcance by Christopher Paloni because it was also a pretty epic end.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Marz

Marz A very curious kitty
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ46.46
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Beautiful Creatures series by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
    The Sight series by David Clement-Davies

4. PerkyHedgewitch

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ2.00
    Primary Identity:
    Elfen
    The Belgariad and The Mallorean series by David and Leigh Eddings
    Where the Sidewalk Ends and A Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
    The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
    Enchantments of the Faerie Realm by Ted Andrews (the only book of his that I like, tbh)
    The Myst trilogy, by Rand and Robin Miller with David Wingrove
    Almost anything by Anne McCaffrey

*my dirty secret*
    The Sleeping Beauty trilogy by Anne Rice (STRICTLY AN 18+ SERIES I MEAN IT)

5. Spiritual Hunters

Spiritual Hunters The Cajun System
    Elder Plural Life

Bones:
    Ƀ128.55
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    We're currently reading The Wizard's First Rule to my husband. We've read it already but he hasn't and reading it outloud makes it more enjoyable to me.

So anything of the Sword of Truth Series by Terry Goodkind. If you saw the show The Seeker and liked it, you'll probably really enjoy the books and look back on the show was disgust at how much they butchered it. But they do that to all books converted into shows.
    Mercy Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs. It's a werewolf book and she does a good job with how she describes the werewolves but there are some moments in it not suitable for kids. So anyone 18 and up would be good to read.
    Alpha and Omega Series by Partricia Briggs. Another Patricia Briggs series in the same world as the Mercy Thompson series. Which is pretty cool because the characters and plots overlap each other somtimes which just makes me squeal with nerdiness. Oh and I guess I shold warn those wolves out there. This is the old tyle pack structures that some people can get upset with. Ya know, Alphas, Betas, Omegas and the like. If you don't mind that, you'll enjoy the crap out of these books. Ain't that right @Cayto?

~Jessie

• Like Like x 4
  6. Cayto Ikooko Kan

Cayto Ikooko Kan Otherworldly Wolf-Man
    Elder VIP

Bones:
    Ƀ185.44
    WuffyBlue WolfSilver Paw
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    Indeed XD. Also "The Wolf Gift" by Anne Rice is looking to be a good book. I haven't finished it yet though.

7. Killian

Killian Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Angelic
    Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke.
    Absolutely wonderful - a bit slow at first but a breathtaking ending, and I loved the plot twists regarding the aliens.
    (Heads up, if you want to read this book - which I highly recommend - do NOT Google it. You cannot know anything past the first chapter without getting spoiled.)

The Missing (series) by Margaret Peterson Haddix
    A special interest of mine I've had since the seventh grade. They may be marketed for kids, but they're amazing in my humble opinion.

Percy Jackson & The Olympians (series) / Heroes of Olympus (series) by Rick Riordan
    I love Greek mythology. I mean, I really love Greek mythology, so these books are amazing. The second series has lots of diversity/representation, too.