• Site Maintenance in progress; pardon our dust!

Felinekin collar?

N

NagiNekoMage

Unverified
I'm fairly new to being an otherkin. Ever since I was a kid I've felt like a feline, and as I grew older these feelings I've had grew stronger and stronger. About a week ago I discovered otherkins, and so many things I've been questioning have been answered and explains so much! Except for one thing; I've always loved collars, they make me feel safe, and comfortable. however I like leather collars, which isn't very cat-like at all. Yesterday I ordered a custom leather collar with faux-fur lining, and I'm extremely excited to have my own custom collar, one that's unique to me.

But, is it normal for felinekins to wear leather collars? I apologize I'm rather self-conscious about this as there are still things I'm coming to terms with.
To be specific, I'm a snow leopard

Last edited:

InkyDaily

Ink Hybrid
Elder
Well, who knows? Just because you like something that isn't "Cat like" doesn't mean you're not a cat. I like things you wouldn't expect my species to like. Everyone is different!

Also, it is very important to heavily question your new identity, as it may not be correct, but thats Ok!! I'd suggest looking into hearted and kith ideas as well. Dont be discoraged if something ends up not being you. We all went through it!

N

NagiNekoMage

Unverified
Well, who knows? Just because you like something that isn't "Cat like" doesn't mean you're not a cat. I like things you wouldn't expect my species to like. Everyone is different!

Also, it is very important to heavily question your new identity, as it may not be correct, but thats Ok!! I'd suggest looking into hearted and kith ideas as well. Dont be discoraged if something ends up not being you. We all went through it!
This is super helpful, thank you ^^

Akrimau

It is possible that rather than being a kintype specific thing, a collar gives you happy kin feels simply because it is a good way to display through clothing that you are an animal. I am also a feline who likes collars! 

Red-in-Tooth

Machairodont Felid
VIP
While I am not through and through a behaviorist for felids, ethology is more my side of discipline, generally cats of all variety prefer not to have anything around their neck. This tends to be more overt than many other animals but felids adapt very well behaviorally to having something around it, particularly larger cats. This is a method used for radiotelemetry or global positioning satellite tracking in almost all in-situ locations to some extent where viable. The reason, however, why cats generally do not enjoy having objects on their neck - outside it being obviously unnatural - is that it inhibits some range of motion and makes the ability to fit through narrow passages more difficult, as well as being prone to catching on branches or other low hanging objects if not appropriately sized. The weight and bulk of it is otherwise of no concern.

As @Akrimau said, it is probably more related to the expression of animality or animal otherness more than it is a specific manifestation of some sort of feline association or affinity. It is more a facet of expression of identity than a trait of that true self. Again, it is not through and through that expressions of this are signs of it, rather they can be used in conjunction with internal work to confirm it. What do I mean by this? A collar in any sense is artificial, man-made, not natural, and does not appear meaningfully to an animal, perhaps least of all a cat. Yet what it does do is show a want to demonstrate and live out that side of self, even if only through symbolism. That passion and interest should be questioned and divined for answers, as surely it has some sort of meaningful insight into one's mind, what is thought: one's heart, what is felt: and one's soul, what is known.

So no, they are not linked to one another but the preference for that expression, the root cause of it, is very likely related to one's type, @NagiNekoMage.