Gardening | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Gardening

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by St Claire, Sep 7, 2015.

Tags:
  1. St Claire

St Claire Void Walker

Bones:
    Ƀ719.01
    CrowBarghest
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    I didn't think this belonged in any of the other categories, so I'll put it here.

Is anyone here an avid (or even just a novice) gardener? I've always enjoyed watching gardening shows and admiring other people's gardens, but I've never had a space to create my own garden because I've only ever lived in rental properties. However, I've recently gained permission from my land lord to build a garden on this property. I know I'll have to abandon the garden when I eventually move out, but it's nice to think that the next occupants will have a garden they can enjoy, and I'll be able to plan and develop a new garden at my next location.

At the moment all I've been doing is hoeing weeds to clear space. This is turning out to be a pretty big task, as some of these weeds would put Cretaceous plants to shame. I have a lot of ideas about what to do with the space once it's cleared, but basically I want a small pebbled sitting area, a path going from the back door to the driveway, a small herb garden, and for the rest of the space I'm currently torn between having a vegetable garden, or a native flowering garden.

Funds are pretty short for me, so I've been looking into a lot of recycled materials for building garden beds and paths. I've been looking into a lot of video tutorials of how to lay pavers, build your own garden beds, prepare the soil, etc. I've also made a note to read up on complementary planting. It's almost bordering on an obsession the amount of thought I've been putting into gardening lately haha.

So, yeah, that's my gardening tale, and I guess this can be a place for people to talk about gardening.

2. Nyht Myst

Nyht Myst The Element System
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ138.65
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I'm hoping to be able to start up an herb garden soon so I can grown my own sage and other useful plants; I'd also like to do a sort of modern zen garden (its not an actual garden with plants) with an open area where I can arrange large rocks to my liking.

3. Hyenas

Hyenas Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.13
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Coincidentally, I was looking into different kinds of gardens and such today... Something I had never been big on before. I'm still not super into it, but I was really interested in very dark plants and rock gardens, which I'd want to be large. I think I'd be more into backyard chickens, which sadly will have to wait a looong time.

4. Saoirse

Saoirse Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ14.33
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Regardless of funds, recycled and natural products are always the best way to go. Yay for being eco-friendly! Your plans for your garden sound very nice, by the way. I hope you have fun creating it, but dang, those weeds sound like a nightmare.

I personally don't have much of a green thumb and struggle to keep even bamboo, cat gras and African violets alive smh. Mostly, it's because I get caught up in my busy daily schedule and tend to forget about potted things :c I don't really like killing plants, so I just generally don't keep them. The only things I've successfully kept alive are ferns because they're too large for me to forget, and poinsettias. I think having an actual outdoor garden would be different, though, because it's something I would actually be able to go out and spend time in and work on, which I think I would actually really enjoy. I'm the kind of person that always needs SOMETHING to do.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ423.60
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    I've actually never personally created a garden, but I truly love them, and would love to have one once I get a better space for them!

6. Tammikuu

Tammikuu Little Lobo

Bones:
    Ƀ943.39
    Blue Wolf
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :)
    My husband and I have our first ever garden now and we love it. It is mostly paved but has 'cut out' areas to grow plants and I have a lot of plants in pots as well. I grow a lot of herbs for cooking and to add as an ingredient when I make soap. The flowers I grow are to attract bees and butterflies so a lot of lavender, buddleia, wildflowers etc and I also grow roses as I love the smell. I'm also growing raspberries at the moment and I encourage the brambles to grow so I can harvest the blackberries from them in the Autumn. I have a bird feeder which attracts a lot of different bird species and a compost bin as I like to recycle. I also have plans to put in a pond/water feature in the future. I love my garden, its my own bit of outside space that I can relax in.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Smooth Jazz Mann

Smooth Jazz Mann Resident Demon of Jazz
    VIP Demonkin

Bones:
    Ƀ104.67
    Silver VIP - Six Month Subscription
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    I ain't a gardener myself but my mom has been a Master Gardener* since before I was born, so we have quite a large garden where I live.

*The Master Gardeners are a local gardening club.

8. Sandwaster

Sandwaster Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ25.45
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Only thing I have in my garden are tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers. I also have a herb garden. You either like doing it or you dont. Weeds are a big problem but once you get them under control it isnt that bad. One trick I learned, before planting, (if you buy a already grown plant) get some fish sticks, heat them up and put one stick under each plant. Drop some mothballs around the garden, it keeps some pests away. If you start to get spider mites, hose the plants down with a good mixture of rubbing alcohol and white vinegar.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Devagraha

Devagraha Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ1.25
    Primary Identity:
    Celestial
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I myself am not a gardener, though my grandma is; big time.
    She always has such a lovely garden. :)
    ~
    Devagraha