Good Otherkin Fiction Books? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Good Otherkin Fiction Books?

Discussion in 'Books, Music, & Art' started by Ruko, May 20, 2016.

1. Ruko

Ruko Space Triangle
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Black DragonFerocious Obsidian DragonCrowBlue AngelBrimstone Demon
    Bones:
    Ƀ2,996.87
    Primary Identity:
    Celestial
    Mood:
    :angel:
    By the title I mean, any stories that could somehow tie into being otherkin, or maybe just good books around animals, aliens, whatever there could be an otherkin of. Themes like people turning into animals, or being raised by them maybe? Any kind of relation you can think of that might be a good read for someone who's otherkin, or maybe just a book you enjoyed particularly because it resonates with your kintype.

My first recommendation is The Shapeshifter series, by Ali Sparkes.
    [​IMG]
    I enjoyed this series a lot in my early teens, but I could see it being enjoyable for older persons also. The story centres around a boy called Dax who discovers purely by accident that they can shapeshift into a fox. Later on they also discover they can change into a Falcon, also one more animal, but that's right at the end so I won't spoil that one. They're sent to a place where there's loads of other teens and children with special abilities from mind reading, to talking to the dead, to levitating spoons. There's also a few spiritual tones now and then, with a wolf spirit talking to him on occasion and maybe some other stuff I won't spoil. It's still one of my favourite book series.

My other shapeshifting recommendation is The Switchers trillogy, by Kate Thompson.
    [​IMG]
    This is another one about shapeshifting into animals, but this is far less constrained to just two species, being able to change into any animal they can think of. This one is less sci-fi and a bit more fantasy/spiritual if I remember right, but it was a long time ago I read it. Regardless, it was enjoyable.

Another good series by Kate Thompson is The Missing Link trilogy (Also known as the Fourth World trilogy), which interested me a lot upon reading through each book.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    As taken from the back of the Origins book, 'In the secret community where, through genetic experiments, animals can talk and children carry animal genes, an unimaginable alien presence makes its appearance.' These stories are weird, creative and certainly caught my attention upon reading it. If you can keep up with it's confusing twists and turns, it's a fantastic read through them all.

I think those are my main suggestions, but would like to hear if anyone else has any good books to share.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Charias

Charias Wandering Wolf
    Demonkin

Bones:
    Ƀ1,409.50
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    Well, it was a *very* long time ago that I read them, but I think the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series would be a pretty good read for wolfkin. It's set in a historical fantasy type world based on prehistoric Europe; the main characters are a boy who can talk to wolves, and his wolf companion. I just really liked the way the wolves' behaviour and thought processes were interpreted in the series, since parts of the book are actually told from the wolf's point of view. And the story's pretty great too, especially for children's books.

Like I said, it was a long time ago that I read it, but I did think it was a very good series of books! I actually need to read those again.

3. Starborn

Starborn Wild Alien Witch

Bones:
    Ƀ188.57
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    'Called' by Lauren Zimmerman is actually literally about a starseed/alienkin person, however, it is fiction because he meets up and saves actual aliens (who are is friends from when he was an alien) when their UFO crashes. :)

4. Vyktoria

Vyktoria Chrysocyon Cutie
    Staff Member Guardian

Voice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,105.20
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    There is a book called, "Otherkin". I'm on the second, "Othermoon", and there is a third, "Othershpere". They are by Nina Berry.

Apart from physical shifting, interesting read. Recommend as fiction ONLY, not a book to learn. Ask any questions welcome. :)

5. House of Chimeras

House of Chimeras Book-loving Historians
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ527.92
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle

Synopsis: At the beginning a the story a unicorn comes upon several humans after hunting to no avail for game. At a lost, one of the hunters calls out into the forest and to the unicorn to stay in her forest for she is the last. Confused the unicorn goes on a quest to find the other unicorns to see if she is truly the last and if so why. During her journey she is turned into a young woman by a magician trying to save her but can not turn her back.

Though much of the story is not based around otherkin- related feelings towards the end half of the story after the unicorn has been turned into a woman her thoughts and feelings begin to become muddled between herself as a unicorn and her now human body. As time goes on in the story she begins to feel at odds with herself between her feelings as a human and wanting to be a unicorn once again. Because of this, her experiences might be of interest to some as well as some otherkin be able to sympathize with her character there.

---

Half-Human by Bruce Conville

Synopsis: This book is an anthology of various short stories which focus on youths who are more then human or not fully human. The stories range from a girl who discovers a seal skin while at her grandmother’s house after yearning for the sea, a bird boy yearns to fly with all his heart, a tree is turned into a human and now must live as one, and so on. The anthology focuses on short stories about various living beings which stand between ‘human’ and ‘animal’ world (thought notably not all of the stories focus on animal based creatures).

Some of the stories really do strongly hit upon at feelings and thoughts some otherkin might sympathize and understand with. From conflicting feelings between being ‘human’ and being ‘nonhuman’ to learning who and what they really are. The stories also often focus on the characters finding out who they are really which is another aspect that otherkin in general might enjoy.

---

Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse

Synopsis: The novelis about a middle-aged man named Harry Haller. A man who believes himself to be of two natures: one being the spiritual nature of man, while the other the animalistic nature of wolf of the steppes.

I've heard quiet a few people remark that Harry Haller from this novel tends to come off as a wolf therian by many otherkin who have read this novel. The book is full of the character referring to himself as a wolf. Plus you get also makes comments like stating such as well. Such as one phrase being while introducing Harry Haller, “He went on two legs, worse clothes and was a human being, but nevertheless he was in reality a wolf of the Steppes.” Plus the "Treatise of the Steppenwolf" within the novel is like a step into the mind of a wolf therian in some respects.

---

Music of the Dolphins by Karen Hesse

Synopsis: A feral child has been pulled from the ocean having lived with a pod dolphins and brought back into human society to be taught to be human by several researchers. At the beginning of the story, the feral child whom the researchers name, Mila is with her pod and the narrative is in third person but then the narrative switches to her perceptive and written in very simple English and becomes more complex as the story moves forward as she learns English better and better. As the story goes on, Mila must chose between two worlds, one among humans and another among dolphins.

Throughout the book, Mila deals with not feeling like she belongs with humans and desires to go back to sea and to the dolphins. It's a children's book and its been a number of years since we read it, but it might be interesting for some to look at.

---

Shifting Hearts by Lauren Brownless, Elizabeth Coppen, Esther Day, et al.

The book is an anthology of short stories written by otherkin and about characters that either are otherkin or are very similar too otherkin.

---

To Dream, Perchance to Soar by Ashlyn Nafina

We haven't gotten a chance to read this novel yet though we do have an ebook copy laying around. It is about a girl who desires nothing more to fly, and we heard from an avian therian that the book comes off as rather avian otherkin-like, but if this is really the case we're not sure.

- Ghaith (male, domestic horse and mute swan)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Cipher

Cipher Great Wyrm
    Elder

Black Winged AngelChibi DragonBrimstone Demon
    Bones:
    Ƀ845.20
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    Seconding both of these; I have the second one, but I also read the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series a long time ago, and it was amazing.

I recommend Clan of the Shape-Changers by Robert Levy. Shapeshifters in this fantasy world have bright green eyes (a trait inherited within this particular group), and discrimination/witch-hunt to destroy them is part of the plot.

[​IMG]

7. FireSong

FireSong Wyrmling
    Alien/SpacekinHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,001.07
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Bruce Coville's other books of short stories really hit home for me, with otherkin feelings. From what I remember there are others each based around similar themes. I used to have a lot of them, recommend them highly.

8. Starborn

Starborn Wild Alien Witch

Bones:
    Ƀ188.57
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    I love this one. A photo of me (from back before my dreads and when I still identified as a wolf) was actually featured in it, and I was sent the book for free in exchange. I recently remembered I had it, but now I can't seem to find it anywhere. ><

9. RogueSareth

RogueSareth Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ110.05
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :winkytongue:
    The Kiesha'Ra series by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes
    "
    The Kiesha'ra Series is a set of five fantasy novels written by the young adult author, Amelia Atwater-Rhodes, which focus on several races of shapeshifters, including the avians (bird people), the serpiente (snake people), and the shm'Ahnmik (falcon people).

The series title, which is in a language from the series called ha'Shmla, translates as "Children of Kiesha." Kiesha is the first cobra serpiente, from whom the royal line of the Cobriana descends."

And the follow up series Maeve'Ra
    "
    The Maeve’ra Trilogy is a three book series that was announced in February of 2012 by Amelia Atwater-Rhodes. The books were released between 2014 and 2016. Three short stories are also set to be released to go along with the series exclusively to Amazon Kindle. The first two short stories were released in 2015 and 2016.

The first novel in the series, Bloodwitch, was released on May 13, 2014. The second novel, Bloodkin, was released April 14, 2015. The third and final novel, Bloodtraitor, was released on April 12, 2016.

The first short story, The Rebel, was released on February 10, 2015. The Prophet was released on March 15, 2016. No announcement has been made as to exactly when The Assassin will be released.

Like its predecessor, The Kiesha'ra Series, The Maeve'ra Trilogy takes place in the same world as the Den of Shadows."

10. shikahiko

shikahiko Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ94.72
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Island of Dr Moreau, good sci Fi novel though the transformations are portrayed in a negative light I think it's got interesting things to say on the line between animal and human in general (unlike in the movie there is no 'dna' splicing. The animals are 100% animals).
    Just beware because it's an older book and H.G Wells gets a little racist sometimes.

11. DarkKo

DarkKo Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ352.22
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Animorphs was one of my favorite series of books as a kid. It's kinda sci fi as a group of kids receives the ability to shift into any animal they have touched and have to save the world from brain controlling aliens. It's a pretty large series and there might have been a tv show too but I don't remember.