have you all had experiences with people who judge?

FoxChi

Apr 20, 2019
Bones
šŸ¦“0.00BN
Pronouns
Neutral
Have any of you had experiences when you where teased/bullied/hated/judge for being you kin type? how did you handle it? what did you do? what was one o the incidents where it happened? you don't need to answer all of these if you don't feel to comfortable sharing šŸ™‚Ā 

I'll start:
Ā 

I was talking to one of my fictionkin friends on the bus.Ā  When I ended the call, one of my 'normal' friends asked me "what the heck where you talking about with Exo?" and I started explaining it to her, and kind of got slightly carried away... and then she looked at me in a very condescending way, and this is what she said, "You believe in that?" And I was like wth girl!Ā  So I said, "We all have our own beliefs and went home.Ā  And know I never talk about it to anyone that I know wouldn't support it and would think its weird.

M

MariaTheFictionkin

Unverified
I actually have not had any negative experiences with being judged based on my kintype. My sexual interests and affiliation with my soulbond, ZackTheSerialKiller however is what causes people to hate me more,Ā which has in-turned caused me to self-harm and almost suicide. So, I can't really relate to this topic in terms of being mistreated for my kintype because I never really talk about it with people.

Last edited:

InkyDaily

Ink Hybrid
Elder
Dec 6, 2018
Bones
šŸ¦“6.25BN
Pronouns
Feminine
I haven't found anyone like that irl, because I don't tell anyone I don't trust. (which is a lot of people sadly)

As I mentioned in a previous post, I had an unfortunate experience on the otherkin subreddit and was eventually ran out for being fictionkin. Their reasoning was stuff like "well, you don't have proof" and "Its not normal to think you're a fictional character," and "Its impossible for you to exist,"

I'll admit, I ended up saying things there I am not proud of due to how they pushed me. But I didn't let that ruin the community as a whole, as you can guess.

Addy-River

Oct 2, 2018
Missouri
soulbonding.boards.net
Bones
šŸ¦“13.50BN
Pronouns
Feminine
For my kintype, no, because its not talked about. Being kin is a very small part of who I am so I never really talk about it. I've mentioned it in passing to my mom and therapist, and people in a SBing discord know, and one other friend knows but thats it.

I have had people judge me for being a SBer tho. I've been called a fake just because one of my headmates was different than they are in canon. I've been called "tragically mentally ill" because of it. I've had people I thought were friends talk about me behind my back and wonder when I'd "grow up". I cannot be close to someone unless I can tell them about my soulbonds, so this makes it very hard for me to feel close to people, because I'm afraid of being judged and ridiculed for it.

Effervescent-Daydream

Mar 12, 2019
Bones
šŸ¦“6.02BN
Pronouns
Feminine
I've only told 2 people. One was fully supportive from the beginning, and the other... not as much. He really didn't understand it and was pretty disapproving. Over time though he grew to accept it and even finds it kind of cute now.Ā 

beanjamoose

Feb 1, 2019
Bones
šŸ¦“1.00BN
Pronouns
My ex-boyfriend was rather judgmental towards my kins. He had two fiction-kintypes and I had over ten I'd discovered at the time. I happily texted him saying I was kin with Bambi (I ended up beingĀ wrong, but that's not relevant to the story) as he'd told me once that seeing people who kin kids'Ā cartoon characters and such make him happy. His response to me was basically "Really? You've gotta be kidding. Like, I get kin, but this is a bit much." and seemedĀ angryĀ when I told him I wasn't joking.Ā 

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
Feb 6, 2019
Bones
šŸ¦“10.02BN
Pronouns
Not really in-person experiences, because there are very few people who I've told.Ā Online, people who know me don't seem to have a problem with me, mostly because I'm good at explaining myself, and I make a conscious effort not to do the kinds of things that would cause problems.Ā 

However there are a lot of people who would judge me based on my kintype. They'd think I was being disrespectful, narcissistic, and delusional no matter what I say. I've occasionally gotten in a discussion or two with people like that. I try to hear them out and ease their concerns, but if they just don't agree,Ā I move on.Ā 

Shiranui

Apr 29, 2019
Bones
šŸ¦“0.00BN
Pronouns
Ā I have some fictionkin/heartĀ identities that I don't talk about much nowadays, but were important to me when I was younger, and as such, I received a lot of scrutiny for being fictionkin. I awoke as otherkin first, and joined otherkin forums, and when I talked about potentially having fictotypes, some folks were very unpleasant. Even staff members on the site were not so kind.

I've also had people in my IRL life who have just kinda been ugly about me being kin in the first place. Not necessarily anything to do with my specific kin identities, but just for being kin in the first place. I even had a friend who would say "I'm alright with you, but those other 'kin people are just out of their minds," just generally really disrespectful stuff. Luckily I don't talk to any of those friends anymore, but it was unpleasant at the time, and actually lead me to stop identifying as otherkin for a few years because I felt so uncomfortable in that aspect of my identity.

B

bhiurd

Unverified
Thankfully I don't think I've gotten backlash directly, but I've seen it andĀ gotten it indirectly. I've come across plenty of people who says they don't believe in identities like mineĀ - which.. I don't think it's possible to not believe in an identity? As in, you can't not believe that certain identities don't exist, just like you can't notĀ believe being gay is a thing, because you can't just believe and not believeĀ in something that a personĀ is, you can't just not believe in a fact,Ā though you can definitely hold opinions on things around that - however, I'm guessing that's debatable.

Anyhow, I've met many people who have been harassed or the like from people who don't think their identity is valid, and I'm so glad I haven't gotten directly attacked or anything like they have, though they've come out of it even more confident!! For the most part. There's one person I really idolize due to being fictionkin (or therian, rather, as they prefer being called), having been harassed for their kintype or being otherkin, yet is still the most confident person I've met, and is really inspirational for others.

FoxChi

Apr 20, 2019
Bones
šŸ¦“0.00BN
Pronouns
Neutral
As in, you can't not believe that certain identities don't exist, just like you can't notĀ believe being gay is a thing, because you can't just believe and not believeĀ in something that a personĀ is, you can't just not believe in a fact,Ā though you can definitely hold opinions on things around that - however, I'm guessing that's debatable.
I agree! that was explained very well! Ā 

ArchieAce

Sep 25, 2018
Bones
šŸ¦“0.00BN
Pronouns
I've been called delusional, crazy, ret@rded and a heap of other things for being fictionkin, specifically with Sonic characters. The Sonic fandom gets a bad rep, so does the kin community.. Mix those together? A double dose of cringe I guess?

I won't go into too many details, but I've been run off of places because of being an endogenic system openly. I should start a journal about that or something..

Amber

Astral skydancer
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
VIP
Dec 26, 2018
Bones
šŸ¦“33.02BN
Pronouns
Neutral
I was bullied for loads of things when I was a child, but not for being kin as far as I can remember. I think back when I was identifying as a falcon (I estimate that was at the age of 12-14), I talked to my best friend about it, but it seems he didn't have a problem with it. Maybe also because I wasn't too serious about it. As soon as I suspected being a dragon, I kept everything strictly secret. Maybe my experience of having been bullied before led me to doing so.

Alas, I'm not used to being attacked for my identity, so I'll keep my snout shut, even if I could probably defend myself. Also because people around me are more or less my age (around 40) and it'll be hard to find anyone who is open minded enough to accept something like this unless they're kin themselves.

FoxChi

Apr 20, 2019
Bones
šŸ¦“0.00BN
Pronouns
Neutral
Also because people around me are more or less my age (around 40) and it'll be hard to find anyone who is open minded enough to accept something like this unless they're kin themselves.
I can definitely see that.Ā  For my age, it is the same way.Ā  If I am friends with a kin, they understand, but usually if they are not one themselves, they think poorly of the belief, and are very closed minded about it. Ā 

Charias

Wandering Wolf
Oct 25, 2018
Bones
šŸ¦“0.02BN
Pronouns
Neutral
I've encountered plenty of judgemental people, but nothing about my kintypes. I just don't make a habit of telling people about that part of meĀ except in online communities. Well, maybe I've had problems online before, but if I have then I don't remember it! I think... telling people in the hopes of being acknowledged or validated by your peers is a huge risk and puts you in a vulnerable position, where it'd be easy to hurt you if they don't accept you. Generally when I've talked about things it's been for the sake of informing people and correcting misinformation, and I think... my demeanour makes it less appealing to try and vocally judge me on it, aha (like, I'm sure plenty of peopleĀ thinkĀ things about me but they rarely tell me to my face, aha).Ā I'm good with words when I want to be! And also very confrontational, which is not usually a good thing but in this situation it helps. šŸ˜›Ā 

So yeah, I guess IĀ haveĀ encountered judgemental people, but either I explained things in a way that helped them understand better and be less judging of it, or (failing that) I ignored them and moved on with my life. Stubbornly close-minded people aren't worth my time.