A haven for thoughtforms and hosts alike

1. Stephanie

Stephanie Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ279.67
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Hello everyone,
    I was made aware of this forum through Mirath. I'm very interested in learning more about thoughtforms/tulpas as they relate to Otherkin. But first, I'd like to ask you all what term you normally use? Is it okay for me to use the term "tulpa", or do you prefer something else?
    As you can see from the thread title, I'm a singlet, so I apologize in advance if I use the wrong words/terms when asking my questions. I've tried to educate and inform myself, but I know mistakes can be made. Some of you might know that I'm a Religious Sciences student at the University of Amsterdam, and that I am very interested to learn more about "The Otherkin" (as it's used in the more general way). I'm writing my BA thesis on this topic in order to help academia understand Otherkin more clearly. Right now, the information is very scarce, and sadly, your own personal narratives have been largely left out of academic literature. I'd like very much to change that. So, I hope I will be welcome here to ask some questions. If not, I totally understand and will leave this forum. I feel that the only way for understanding is through open, respectful communication.

From what I've read so far, tulpas can be Otherkin if they are non-human in form. Would you all agree?
    I'm also interested to know more about walk-ins as well, and how they relate to plurality. I refer to fully formed walk-ins in this case. If anyone here can offer their viewpoints on these topics, I'd greatly appreciate it.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. House of Chimeras

House of Chimeras Book-loving Historians
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ528.07
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    If you are interested in writing a paper on otherkin may I warmly offer a link to you that lists as many known sources that mention, are about, or relate to the topic of otherkin (or certain kinds of otherkin) - Sources On Otherkin Its far from a compete list by far, but it is a work-in-progress. Hopefully it might be of interest or use to you.

(Just to be clear, otherkin and plurality are two different topics. The former dealing with an individual's species identity, while the latter deals with how many identities/personalities/souls/persons share a single body. Creating a tulpa being a way in which an entity is specifically created and thus can lead to someone becoming plural if they were singlet beforehand.)

Whether nonhuman headmates/alters/tulpas/walk-ins/etc call themselves otherkin varies a lot. Some might consider themselves otherkin by label, some might not. If they do or do not consider themselves "otherkin" tends lean on semantics and point-of-view.

- Maya (female, jaguar)

#2 House of Chimeras, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  3. Stephanie

Stephanie Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ279.67
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Hello Maya, and thank you for your warm welcome. I appreciate your offers to clarify things, and apologize for not being more clear to begin with! Yes, I do realize that otherkin and plurality are two separate topics. Forgive my clumsiness in my original post. I also have read that tulpas can be either human or non-human, but for the sake of my thesis, I'd like to focus now on the tulpas that are non-human entities. But, the specification is important (and shall be included in my thesis).
    My question about walk-ins was referring more to the walk-ins that are fully formed once they join in the system. That is to say, the host did not do the same type of creating as with other possible tulpas that might be in the system. I'd like to know more about the nature of these fully-formed walk-ins, if possible. From my own background, I am familiar with this term (coming from Spiritualism and New Age sources), but I realize it might be used in a completely different way here.
    I also thank your for the use of the link you mentioned. I shall look at it and return here to chat some more at a later time.
    Again, my appreciation for the warm welcome.
    --- Post updated ---
    Maya, your link is fantastic!! I have read quite a few academic articles listed in it, but there's a few I hadn't seen yet! So, thank you again!!!

#3 Stephanie, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  4. TimelordVictorious

TimelordVictorious ໒( ͡ᵔ ▾ ͡ᵔ )७
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ89.92
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    Hello! I'm not a multiple, but I have a daemon. If you have questions about that, feel free to ask away and I'll do my best to answer. Can't really help you out when it comes to multiplicity, walk-ins or stuff like that though.

5. Stephanie

Stephanie Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ279.67
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Hello and thanks for your reply. I would be very interested to know more about your daemon and what form the daemon takes. Thank you for your offer.

6. TimelordVictorious

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ89.92
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    Alright. My daemon's name is Vale. She's female. We've never really been interested in form finding (that's the thing where people learn about animal behavior to find an animal that matches their personality). So Vale takes whatever forms she likes. Some of her favorite form are bat, small monkey, big cats and moths. The one thing her forms have in common is neutral colors (like brown, black, beige, etc.). She's not very flashy.

Personality wise, she's calm and laid-back. She's independent and not very social. Don't know if that's just how she is or if it's because she can't really interact with anyone but me. She's more competitive than I am. And we've pretty much got each other's back all the time.

7. Stephanie

Stephanie Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ279.67
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Thanks, TimelordVictorius, for that explanation (and please forgive my late reply to you - I've had a pretty bad fall and have been resting). I was wondering how Vale came to be created. As a singlet, I realize I can't relate from an insider's point-of-view, so I hope you don't mind me asking how one chooses to create a daemon and not a tulpa, or vice-versa, or a combination of the two. Is there a particular conscious choice, or does it seem to happen more…organically? I hope this makes sense, and if it doesn't, it could be that I have a slight concussion and can't think too clearly. My apologies.

8. TimelordVictorious

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ89.92
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    Vale came into existence when I was in like primary school. I'd just read His Dark Materials (that's the books with the daemons in it) and I wanted one. I had (still have) a lot of imagination, so Vale became my imaginary friend, an imaginary friend that was similar to a daemon from the books. Unlike a "normal" imaginary friend, she never disappeared and she has her own personality, her own preferences, and things like that. I think in a way she'd always been there, but she just didn't have a voice and a name and all that before.

I didn't know about tulpas or daemonism at the time, so I never really had to choose between daemon or tulpa. I was actually very surprised when I learned about daemonism online. I had no idea there were other people who were so inspired by the daemons from HDM that they went and created not only a daemon, but an entire community devoted to daemons and form finding. So I guess you could say for me it was mostly inspiration from the books and the rest happened organically/naturally (as in, I didn't choose her personality and the way our relationship would be, etc.).

Oh, and no need to apologize. Questions are fine, and I'm happy to answer them. Late replies are fine, we have lives outside of this forum. Not making sense is fine, it just happens to everybody and by asking each other questions, we'll figure it out. I don't want you to think you have to walk on eggshells around me just because you're a singlet and I have a daemon. :winkytongue:

Incidentally, I do consider myself a singlet. To me, Vale is a part of who I am, part of my personality. Part of my soul, if you believe in that sort of thing. Multiples are people who have more than one person in their head but Vale and I are one person. Like two sides of the same coin. Hope this makes sense. :coldsweat2:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Stephanie

Stephanie Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ279.67
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Thanks for being understanding and patient. (My head is starting to clear and not hurt so much). I'm learning more everyday. May I ask when (at what age) you found out about daemonism, and tulpamancy, too, for that matter? How did you feel when you found out that others were doing what you were doing? Also, did you perhaps feel any desire to create a tulpa, or did you not feel any connection there? Lastly, do you have an idea of how large the community is? I can imagine that this may be very difficult to say, but I was wondering if there was an idea. I'm of course a "newbie" to all of this, but now I'm starting to wonder if I've just been living under a rock or something. ;)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. TimelordVictorious

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ89.92
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    Hm... Found out about daemonism when I was around 20 (I'm now 24). Tulpamancy I found out at about the same time, because on the Daemon Forums, there were people talking about it. Like I said, my main reaction when I found out about daemonism was surprise. I had no idea there'd be a community like that. At first, I thought it was gonna be some kind of roleplay thing, but it wasn't. It was cool getting to meet other people and their daemons, to learn how daemonism had helped them in their lives. There were also tips on how to better project your daemon (basically how to see them with your imagination) that were fun to try. I liked the fact that the community was pretty down to earth. No one claiming that they were somehow special for having a daemon. There was an emphasis on "anyone can do this daemon thing". In a way, it also helped to see other people and their daemons, who were doing pretty much what I'd been doing for years. Makes you feel like a little bit less crazy. :winkytongue:

I never really thought about creating a tulpa. I personally don't understand how our brains could manage to create a sentient being entirely separate from ourselves. Daemons, I get, because they're part of us. Semi-independent. But something completely and totally independent? I personally can't wrap my head around that. Plus, I already had Vale, so I didn't feel the need to create a tulpa.

The community I was in for a while was the Daemon Forums. I have no idea how many people are or were active there, or how many daemians exist in other similar communities. I'm bad with numbers. I checked the forums and there are a total of 3864 members. How many of them are active, though? No clue. I've heard there are daemians on Tumblr too. But it's been years since I've interacted with the community. I was only there for a while. Most of the activity happening at the time was about form finding which didn't really matter to us. So I didn't stick around long. Have a look at the Daemon Page too if you're curious. It's been a while since they've updated it though, apparently.

As far as I know, most people don't have a clue what daemonism is. Or that it even exists. At best they've read the books (or seen the movie, but it sadly doesn't do the books justice). So I don't think it's a "you've been living under a rock" kinda thing. Probably more like the daemian community is living under a rock.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Stephanie

Stephanie Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ279.67
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Thanks for taking the time to write back to me, and my apologies for not getting back to you sooner. I had a little setback and was not feeling so well. Things are going better now, though.
    Would you mind if I drew up a list of questions about daemons to ask you about? I feel like I need to give this all some more careful thought before asking any more. Thanks as well for those other links; I'll check them out soon. Hope to hear back from you about the question list.

12. TimelordVictorious

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ89.92
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    Go ahead! I might reply Monday though, so don't worry if it's taking a bit longer than usual for me to answer. I'm working more hours than usual.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Stephanie

Stephanie Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ279.67
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Ok, great. I'm working on the list today. Shall I make a new thread here, or would you prefer I send it in a PM? And Monday is fine! Thanks so much.

14. The Unseelie Rose

The Unseelie Rose An angel on scorched wings
    VIP The Celestial Realm

Bones:
    Ƀ312.20
    Fairy Lights PhilterVoice KeyGold VIP - Six Month Subcription
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :)
    Hello Stephanie~ Welcome to the site. :D I am a multiple system and a gateway system. One of my headmates is, in fact, a tulpa. He's been with me for almost 10 years (it will be 10 years since his creation in October.) And I have two non corporeal archangels. They are walk-ins. (I'd like to consider my tulpa a walk-in as well.)

If you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer them!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Stephanie

Stephanie Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ279.67
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Hello and thank you for replying and for your offer to answer questions. I would like to ask you a few, if you don't mind…

Is your tulpa human, or non-human? Would you care to say a bit more about this?

My understanding of walk-ins, from an occult perspective, is that you, as the host, are under a form of possession. I realize that this may not be the way you view it ,so I'd like to ask if you'd share more about your archangels, and how they came to be with you? Do you feel that they "take over" your body?

Can you elaborate more as to how your tulpa is also a walk-in?

I also have a more general question: do you feel that non-human tulpas, daemons, and walk-ins could be categorized as being Otherkin? I must admit, I'm a bit fuzzy on how, if at all, these entities relate to Otherkin (as an umbrella term that is used for identifying as non-human). Would you care to share your viewpoint?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to talk with me. :)

• Unique Unique x 1
  16. The Unseelie Rose

VIP The Celestial Realm

Bones:
    Ƀ312.20
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    My tulpa is an unseelie fae/angel hybrid. His design dates back to 10 years ago, though he wasn't a hybrid back then. I settled on a design for him which was nephilium/fallen angel when I had gone from the last year of my middle school to the first year of my high school. He grew with me as the years went by and he was dormant, quietly observing the people around me and developing a personality, separate of my own personality.

These two archangels that occupy my headspace are Sariel (Archangel of the Moon) and Uriel (Archangel of knowledge). I've known them in my past life. Sariel raised me and we were once partners in my past life. Uriel was my crush and had become my teacher, teaching me how to blend in with the angels, seeing that raising a faery was a taboo in Mechanon (Heaven). I can feel them control the vessel. They both have different auras that I can easily sense. Sariel has a very caring and fatherly type of aura, and Uriel has a stern but kind hearted aura. And Julien has a serious aura. By reading these auras, I can tell who is possessing the vessel.

The reason why I consider Julien, my tulpa, to be a walk-in: Julien has a veil in his room/his part of the headspace, that will let him go freely from the vessel to the Black Forest. (Where Julien is from.) Julien doesn't go anywhere else besides the Black Forest and the vessel.

I do think they should be categorized as Otherkin because they are non-human entities. I think systems should be considered as otherkin because there can be headmates that identify as non-human. Julien, however, is not considered as otherkin because unseelie fae is what he was born as, not what he identifies as.

And not a problem :) I had fun answering these questions~

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Stephanie

Stephanie Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ279.67
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Thank you so much for responding and forgive my late reply to you. Private matters have kept me occupied with other things these past days. I will certainly come back to your post to continue our conversation when I am able to do so.

18. The Unseelie Rose

VIP The Celestial Realm

Bones:
    Ƀ312.20
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    It's not a problem, Stephanie. Please take as much time as you need. I'll be here :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Stephanie

Stephanie Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ279.67
    Primary Identity:
    Human/Non-Kin
    Firstly, thanks for your patience. I am curious to know more about your tulpa Julien, and if you know why he's wanting to change form (I read your blog post about that). Is this affecting you and the other angel tulpas? Is Julien the only one who can leave, and does he do this at will (without consulting you)?
    You also mentioned "the vessel". I'm a bit confused here. Is the vessel the human body "host"? Are you the vessel, or do you consider yourself something other than the vessel/host? Sorry if I'm being dense, but it made me think you were keeping distance from "the vessel" in some way by how you wrote your post.

20. The Unseelie Rose

VIP The Celestial Realm

Bones:
    Ƀ312.20
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    I would like to correct that Sariel and Uriel are not tulpas. I did not create them.

Julien's form has affected me because I have started to feel phantom shifts of his wings and horns. However, his change in form do not affect the Angels. He wanted a change in form, just simply to try other forms he can take on. I don't wish to keep him subjugated to one form if he wants to try something new. He enjoys his new take in form and if he's happy, then I'm happy.

Julien isn't the only one who can leave the body. Sariel and Uriel too. But all three of them tell me even though I already know where they are going. They don't have to consult me where they are going, but they do.

The vessel is a referance to the body. I am not distancing myself from it, it's just what I call it. Some people have other terms for the body, like meatsack.

• Informative Informative x 1