Help Identifying A Fossil/Bone? | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Help Identifying A Fossil/Bone?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dark Lord Shine, Jul 31, 2016.

1. Dark Lord Shine

Dark Lord Shine Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ53.36
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    Mood:
    :winkytongue:
    My best friend gave me this fossilized bone that one of his grandparents gave him when he was a kid, but neither of us knows what it is. It appears to be part of some sort of joint, like a knee or ankle, but I don't know for sure. I also have no idea what kind of animal it belonged to, so that makes it even harder to identify. I really love it, though. It's a lot lighter than it looks like it should be, and the smooth grooves on one side are the perfect size and shape for my thumbs. It just feels really nice and calming in my hand for some reason. I've been carrying it around in my pocket for that reason.

Anybody have a clue what it is or might be?

Attached Files:

2. Paniczoure

Paniczoure The White-Furred Artist
    Staff Member Guardian

Bright PhilterTransparent PhilterVanishing PhilterSilver Otherkin HeptagramSilver Theta DeltaWuffy
    Bones:
    Ƀ131.19
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :)
    Being fully honest. I've no idea from what this is. XD
    Maybe try to google it? :v

(I also think this should be in the science forum, but ok.)

3. BirdMonster

BirdMonster Great Wyrm
    DinosaurHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,533.85
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I know some people that work in museum collections. Though I have more connections in the Ornithology department, I'll try to get a hold of them and see if they possibly know what it is.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Allos

Allos Muddy Dragon of the Swamp
    Staff Member Community Manager Elder VIP Swamp Lurker

Midnight Neon PhilterBold PhilterMud PhilterVanishing PhilterGold VIP - One Year SubscriptionBronze Dragon CoinSilver Dragon CoinGold Dragon CoinBlack DragonFerocious Obsidian DragonGrey Raptor
    Bones:
    Ƀ11.25
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    When I reverse image searched one of the pictures on google it came up as "Jaw" been similar, so maybe start looking there. Could be a jaw bone of some sort of herbivore as a guess based on that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. TimelordVictorious

TimelordVictorious ໒( ͡ᵔ ▾ ͡ᵔ )७
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ89.92
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Mood:
    I read "help identifying as fossil/bone" and I was like whaaaat? XD

6. Castellamare

Castellamare little hen
    Dragon

White Winged AngelFerocious Blue WyvernBrown GriffinMale LionBuckDoeBlack CatFemale LionMustangSpotted BuckSpotted DoeRainbow BuckRainbow DoeBlue GriffinSharkCrowGrey RaptorRed RaptorWhite Feathered RaptorGreen RaptorOrange RaptorOtherkin HeptagramWuffyFerocious Alabaster Dragon
    Bones:
    Ƀ141.71
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    My first though was petrified heart at a glimpse, but it does look like bone and not so much a heart upon further inspection.
    Haha I'm having similar problems, well I know some are (marine mammal?) vertebrae, but then there's this thing that looks like a skull, or possibly a large exoskeleton-like abdomen, but there's hardly any holes in it.
    (I think we should really get this moved into science before this becomes popular, knowing us weird stuff collectors. Especially the dragons. Mostly the dragons.)

ooh in love with the bokeh in the second pic

7. puppyresidue

puppyresidue A Small Doggo
    VIP Dragon

Otherkin HeptagramChibi Dragon
    Bones:
    Ƀ45,360.75
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    It looks somewhat like part of a leg/joint/talus to me, possibly of a deer?

The second bone on the top row going left to right in this image looks just slightly like what you have. The differences could be due to fossilization and erosion, but it could also be something different entirely, I'm not totally sure to be honest with you. I feel like it's most likely from a deer because in my experience as a vulture culture nut, it's always a freakin' deer :p

8. Castellamare

Castellamare little hen
    Dragon

White Winged AngelFerocious Blue WyvernBrown GriffinMale LionBuckDoeBlack CatFemale LionMustangSpotted BuckSpotted DoeRainbow BuckRainbow DoeBlue GriffinSharkCrowGrey RaptorRed RaptorWhite Feathered RaptorGreen RaptorOrange RaptorOtherkin HeptagramWuffyFerocious Alabaster Dragon
    Bones:
    Ƀ141.71
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
  9. Makah

Makah Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ58.02
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    Hey there!
    Zooarcheology was my main subject at university;
    This is a navicular bone (tarsal) from a cervine, most likely a deer, seeing its small size.
    Hope it helps ;)

#9 Makah, Aug 17, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Castellamare

Castellamare little hen
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ141.71
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Ooh that's so cool! So it was a deer XD
    Do you have any idea what mine were?

11. Makah

Makah Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ58.02
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    Yes, I am 95% sure of it being from a cervidae ;)
    As for yours, the big one is most definitely a skull, but unlike anything I've ever seen before (and it's a bit fragmented too so harder to tell)... where did you find it? You talked about marine animals in your post; did you find it on a beach or somewhere near the water? If so, then probably from a small type of whale..? I have never studied marine mammals before :') (And I would recognize fish bone anywhere because they were such a BYTCH!)
    And the small one is a first vertebrae, or axis. Of which animal, thaaaat is tricky! But it's nor a whale or a dolphin...nor a cervidae, nor a wolf or canidae...or feline, for that matter. Well, at least we know what it ISN'T! XD

12. Castellamare

Castellamare little hen
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ141.71
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    I found the skull on the shore at Malibu Beach, Malibu, California, the beach isn't very wide but it was almost as far as it can be from the water, it was in some sand, found this way except I rinsed it out: no soft materials left. Somebody may have discovered it before me and forgot it?
    The vertebrae was either found nearby the skull, or in the water. Underwater, in general apart from cliffsides (Malibu is not one) there would be just a few large rocks, small rocks, and some kelp growing. The rest is sand and/or pebbles. I know I've found a few vertebrae underwater along with other bones, which I should post as well.

For mammals, seals are very common here, perhaps it is one?
    I'm going to research.