Kinmunity

Welcome to Kinmunity - We're an online community resource and forum for alterhumans including: otherkin, therians, vampires, and others with non-human identities

In order to receive full access to Kinmunity, you'll have to register an account. Registering gives you access to the following features:

• The ability to create new threads and reply to existing ones on our forums.
  • The ability to read messages in "The Dens", our members only area.
  • The ability to chat with others in our Discord server.
  • The ability to create your very own blog on the site - write whatever you want!
  • The ability to create, join, and participate in social groups!
  • and so much more...
So what are you waiting for? Join Kinmunity today!

How come there isn't a list of definitive traits for kintypes?

Pronouns
Other
So...I am still very lost and confused as to what exactly my kintypes are. I know, I know..."Do your own research" but like...there are barely any "real resources" besides tumblr. How come there isn't a list of certain traits that can give a definitive answer on what my certain kintypes are?

I know I should do some introspection, and I have done some of it. I feel like I am definitely merkin, as well as plantkin, angelkin, and probably spacekin..

The reason I feel like these are kintypes are for the following:

Merkin: Had an obsession with mermaids as a child, have a heavy interest in swimming, Feel water is my home somehow.. Very Eco-Friendly.

Plantkin: Interest in sunbathing, dislike talking verbally, Have an interest in grass type pokemon, Feeling a new connection to the Earth, Caring Nature to others

Angelkin: Have a deep interest in having a platonic partner, Deeply Emphatic nature, A connection to Space

Spacekin: Feeling a deep connection to space, Interest in astronomy, Interest in constellations, my interest in the unknown, Interest in Space aesthetics,

What I know about myself is that I feel deeply inhuman, despite being a caring person towards other humans. I feel a lot of species dysphoria, and I think its partly because of my neurodivergence, and my spirit just...not being human..

I have read the articles on how to figure out your kintype, and the difference between Otherkin and Otherhearted and I think I am very much kin to certain things.

Could you guys please help me out on the "knowing" part of my kintypes? Because while I do feel nonhuman in many ways, I do want to understand myself more.

Solution
The reason there are no lists of definitive traits for each kintype is because no two creatures within the same species are alike, nor are two kin of the same 'type. Writing lists or articles like that could be extremely damaging, as each and every one of us has a unique and subjective experience with our 'types. One angel otherkin may have a drastically different experience than another- one may feel a strong connection with Christianity, and the kingdom of Heaven, whereas another may feel spite and hatred for the very same concepts. If you take a look at literature from 'kin spaces in the 90's, there are many, many articles written by all sorts of different types of elves. Many people identified as Elenari elves, but identified as...

Asherah

Pronouns
Masculine
The reason there are no lists of definitive traits for each kintype is because no two creatures within the same species are alike, nor are two kin of the same 'type. Writing lists or articles like that could be extremely damaging, as each and every one of us has a unique and subjective experience with our 'types. One angel otherkin may have a drastically different experience than another- one may feel a strong connection with Christianity, and the kingdom of Heaven, whereas another may feel spite and hatred for the very same concepts. If you take a look at literature from 'kin spaces in the 90's, there are many, many articles written by all sorts of different types of elves. Many people identified as Elenari elves, but identified as different elven cultures and subspecies beneath that ovearching label. Being 'kin isn't about finding a rigid box to force ourselves into, or trying to peg down the "right" traits. The entire concept of identifying as an otherly creature is very subjective. We all have our own unique definitions of what makes us our species.

Figuring out your 'type is about figuring out who you really are inside, not about what box you fit into. If you feel you are an angel, research the different choirs of angels in Catholic mythology. "Plantkin" really shouldn't be an overarching label necessarily; if you feel you are a plant, start researching different kinds of plants that you feel you may be. What in particular draws you to space? What traits within yourself make you feel as though you're a celestial being?

Maybe try to reverse your perspective; your approach may be what's hindering you. Good luck.

Solution

Finna Alsvartr

Therianthrope
Plural
Pansexual Pride
Pronouns
Neutral
No hate to any 'kin on tumblr but tumblr can be a terrible resource full of trolls so I would be extremely careful.

@Asherah is right, every 'kin's experience is different. Take me vs. @Naia for example. We are both wolves and technically of the same species (though she is a specific subspecies). We had very different awakenings, I'm sure. We're very different people but might be grouped as generally having the same kintype.

Lepus alleni

just a hare
Therianthrope
Pronouns
Other
It can be a tough journey, and you might find the answers long after first realizing your feelings of being nonhuman. I never felt human, but finding exactly what I was was a much longer and tedious process, and I'd actually come across the answer when I'd already stopped looking and even convinced myself my feelings on this were just me projecting my different feelings on something else.

Pronouns
Other
The reason there are no lists of definitive traits for each kintype is because no two creatures within the same species are alike, nor are two kin of the same 'type. Writing lists or articles like that could be extremely damaging, as each and every one of us has a unique and subjective experience with our 'types. One angel otherkin may have a drastically different experience than another- one may feel a strong connection with Christianity, and the kingdom of Heaven, whereas another may feel spite and hatred for the very same concepts. If you take a look at literature from 'kin spaces in the 90's, there are many, many articles written by all sorts of different types of elves. Many people identified as Elenari elves, but identified as different elven cultures and subspecies beneath that ovearching label. Being 'kin isn't about finding a rigid box to force ourselves into, or trying to peg down the "right" traits. The entire concept of identifying as an otherly creature is very subjective. We all have our own unique definitions of what makes us our species.

Figuring out your 'type is about figuring out who you really are inside, not about what box you fit into. If you feel you are an angel, research the different choirs of angels in Catholic mythology. "Plantkin" really shouldn't be an overarching label necessarily; if you feel you are a plant, start researching different kinds of plants that you feel you may be. What in particular draws you to space? What traits within yourself make you feel as though you're a celestial being?

Maybe try to reverse your perspective; your approach may be what's hindering you. Good luck.
Ohhhh...Okay. Well, thank you.

So..I have to look within me to figure out what kintype I am. Okay. Thank you.
Post automatically merged:

No hate to any 'kin on tumblr but tumblr can be a terrible resource full of trolls so I would be extremely careful.

@Asherah is right, every 'kin's experience is different. Take me vs. @Naia for example. We are both wolves and technically of the same species (though she is a specific subspecies). We had very different awakenings, I'm sure. We're very different people but might be grouped as generally having the same kintype.
I know its a crappy resource, but it feels like that and amino are the only resources that feel...like resources? I have tried looking at Otherkin Wiki/wikias, but I barely got anything...besides stuff about angelkin and a long list of Elfkin stuff..

Its nice to know that people with similar/same kintypes can have vastly different experiences.
Post automatically merged:

It can be a tough journey, and you might find the answers long after first realizing your feelings of being nonhuman. I never felt human, but finding exactly what I was was a much longer and tedious process, and I'd actually come across the answer when I'd already stopped looking and even convinced myself my feelings on this were just me projecting my different feelings on something else.
Ohhh. Okay. I'll keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Lighter

Moderation Team
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
Crow
Otherkin
Asexual Pride
Pronouns
Neutral
Okay. Could you give me some ideas on what to really google? I have tried Otherkin wikias, tumblr, and Amino...
Here's a list of possible resources:

Just avoid Therian Guide at all costs:

Use the Wayback Machine to find content of websites that are no longer available:

Pronouns
Other
Here's a list of possible resources:

Just avoid Therian Guide at all costs:

Use the Wayback Machine to find content of websites that are no longer available:

Thanks! I will take a looksy at those!

shadowedwolf

Pronouns
Feminine
So...I am still very lost and confused as to what exactly my kintypes are. I know, I know..."Do your own research" but like...there are barely any "real resources" besides tumblr. How come there isn't a list of certain traits that can give a definitive answer on what my certain kintypes are?

I know I should do some introspection, and I have done some of it. I feel like I am definitely merkin, as well as plantkin, angelkin, and probably spacekin..

The reason I feel like these are kintypes are for the following:

Merkin: Had an obsession with mermaids as a child, have a heavy interest in swimming, Feel water is my home somehow.. Very Eco-Friendly.

Plantkin: Interest in sunbathing, dislike talking verbally, Have an interest in grass type pokemon, Feeling a new connection to the Earth, Caring Nature to others

Angelkin: Have a deep interest in having a platonic partner, Deeply Emphatic nature, A connection to Space

Spacekin: Feeling a deep connection to space, Interest in astronomy, Interest in constellations, my interest in the unknown, Interest in Space aesthetics,

What I know about myself is that I feel deeply inhuman, despite being a caring person towards other humans. I feel a lot of species dysphoria, and I think its partly because of my neurodivergence, and my spirit just...not being human..

I have read the articles on how to figure out your kintype, and the difference between Otherkin and Otherhearted and I think I am very much kin to certain things.

Could you guys please help me out on the "knowing" part of my kintypes? Because while I do feel nonhuman in many ways, I do want to understand myself more.
Wow i am merkin and i felt just like you did and i am questioning my type of mermaid type like rather i am a river mermaid or tropical but anyhow it is very normal to feel this way i mean i am questioning another one of my kin types a vampire

Pronouns
Other
Wow i am merkin and i felt just like you did and i am questioning my type of mermaid type like rather i am a river mermaid or tropical but anyhow it is very normal to feel this way i mean i am questioning another one of my kin types a vampire
I am starting to think that maybe I should stop trying to find my kintype and just live as I am. I feel as though there isn’t enough definitive proof for me to really “know” if I am any of these kintypes or not. I just know that I am otherkin...somehow. Because, being human just..isn’t me. I have tried being more accepting of my body and my inner self, and while I’m definitely aware that I have a human body, my soul doesn’t seem to feel human at all. Maybe its just my chakras getting out of balance, or maybe I need to journal my feelings more...but I just..feel stuck and unsure of what I really am inside, soul-wise.

shadowedwolf

Pronouns
Feminine
I am starting to think that maybe I should stop trying to find my kintype and just live as I am. I feel as though there isn’t enough definitive proof for me to really “know” if I am any of these kintypes or not. I just know that I am otherkin...somehow. Because, being human just..isn’t me. I have tried being more accepting of my body and my inner self, and while I’m definitely aware that I have a human body, my soul doesn’t seem to feel human at all. Maybe its just my chakras getting out of balance, or maybe I need to journal my feelings more...but I just..feel stuck and unsure of what I really am inside, soul-wise.
Okay i think that right now you are at a point and time where you dont know your true identity but that is fine but you will know what you are soon tho ^^

Pronouns
Other
Okay i think that right now you are at a point and time where you dont know your true identity but that is fine but you will know what you are soon tho ^^
I agree. Could you give me an idea on what I could do? I have tried paying attention to my dreams and journalling. My dreams are in first person and they barely seem coherent. My journalling of my behaviors doesn't seem to really give me much. I can meditate, but not so much that I can reach altered states of consciousness yet. I can't visualize (I have aphantasia and can't see anything I imagine, even though I do have an imagination..).

Lighter

Moderation Team
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
Crow
Otherkin
Asexual Pride
Pronouns
Neutral
I agree. Could you give me an idea on what I could do? I have tried paying attention to my dreams and journalling. My dreams are in first person and they barely seem coherent. My journalling of my behaviors doesn't seem to really give me much. I can meditate, but not so much that I can reach altered states of consciousness yet. I can't visualize (I have aphantasia and can't see anything I imagine, even though I do have an imagination..).
But you can imagine sounds, textures, tastes and smells? Do they appear in meditation?

Pronouns
Other
But you can imagine sounds, textures, tastes and smells? Do they appear in meditation?
No, not for me, anyway. My meditations are usually full of silence even though the guide says "Theres a howling wind in the air, listen to the wind's howl!" I can't imagine/hear anything. My aphantasia means I really am behind the 8 ball in terms of imagining other senses.. As much as I can imagine things...its really not that immersive as it could be.

shadowedwolf

Pronouns
Feminine
Well maybe study more of different kin types and there traits and you can see which ones you identify with you can have as many theriotypes as you like i mean i have 2 and questioning another one but i think you are def having therian dysphoria and it is normal im having it rn because one of my other theriotypes might be a vampire lol it can take weeks or even months but i would work on meditation tho it is great for you mental health and IF you do practice is i recommend the app Sanvello they have great meditations! ^^

Pronouns
Other
Well maybe study more of different kin types and there traits and you can see which ones you identify with you can have as many theriotypes as you like i mean i have 2 and questioning another one but i think you are def having therian dysphoria and it is normal im having it rn because one of my other theriotypes might be a vampire lol it can take weeks or even months but i would work on meditation tho it is great for you mental health and IF you do practice is i recommend the app Sanvello they have great meditations! ^^
Okay. I will practice meditation and study the kintypes. Could you point me to a website that has most of the theriotypes and their traits? Because I need some help.

shadowedwolf

Pronouns
Feminine
Okay. I will practice meditation and study the kintypes. Could you point me to a website that has most of the theriotypes and their traits? Because I need some help.
"Various kintypes include but are not limited to elves, demons, fae, dragons, angels, and many others. Someone may explain their experiences in various ways including through reincarnation, walk-in events, brain wiring, an unconscious coping mechanism, and many more." and you can research alot of these kin types on Otherkin.