Kinmunity

Welcome to Kinmunity - We're an online community resource and forum for alterhumans including: otherkin, therians, vampires, and others with non-human identities

In order to receive full access to Kinmunity, you'll have to register an account. Registering gives you access to the following features:

• The ability to create new threads and reply to existing ones on our forums.
  • The ability to read messages in "The Dens", our members only area.
  • The ability to chat with others in our Discord server.
  • The ability to create your very own blog on the site - write whatever you want!
  • The ability to create, join, and participate in social groups!
  • and so much more...
So what are you waiting for? Join Kinmunity today!

How good is Amino?

Lighter

Moderation Team
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
Crow
Otherkin
Asexual Pride
Pronouns
Neutral
Is Amino a good source on Otherkin and Alterhumanity in general? Why or why not?

Kara

Shadow Dog
Pronouns
Neutral
I don't know too much about the different amino communities, but Therian Amino has a bad rep (I think it's getting better now!), their staff has been very anti-endogenic systems and has banned people simply for having different opinions and asking for resources to back their claims that endogenics shouldn't use the term "system". The main perpetrator has been demodded AFAIK. I've heard the otherkin amino isn't great and has a lot of kin-for-fun people. Therian Community Amino is nice! I run the Alterhuman Amino, which I've only started recently and is very small, but I plan on adding a lot of information. I've joined a few other amino communities but haven't really spent enough time in them to have much of an opinion.

AhostWithDIDxxx

Plural
Pronouns
Masculine
I know of some great non-therian communities but the otherkin and therapy official amino is kinda toxic. All the others are great tho. Like Emo Amino is amazing and so are the people you meet there. I ended up creating a private group chat for me and some super close friends there.

Elluenda

Pronouns
Feminine
I tried using various otherkin, therian, and alterhuman aminos some while back, maybe a year. I found it a bit confusing and even too fast paced to use, personally. I'm sure others, especially younger internet natives used to that kind of format, would have an easier time in that regard! So I gave it up lol.

It didn't really have what I'm looking for, which is much deeper discussion. I do like videos and pictures and discussions on gear, and shifts, and urges, but I didn't find much below the material windowdressings, so to speak. And maybe I was looking in the wrong place! Most of the information and theory on otherkin was in faqs, but not being discussed very much.

My feelings on whether it could be a good source for an outsider or a new kinfolk to get information is sort of similar to my feelings on all platforms in that regards--if you are only looking at once place, you risk big holes in your understanding. We are all such varied people, and our different communities have different priorities and ways of communicating with one another and to outsiders. I feel it is best (in all things, not just researching otherkinity) to spread wide the net and see the valuable differences and similarites between the many people of many camps. Can't tell you the number of times somebody caught a bad opinion because all they looked at was tumblr! (I am also on tumblr, but kinfolk don't seem very active there these days unless it is in moodboards or crossposting. So it isn't a good model of how we really talk among ourselves imo.)

Edited to add: I usually end up dis-satisfied in most discussion topics, though--I am overly concerned with "why" and "how" and that's not everybody's main priority and my timing doesn't line up with most folks', so take that as the biiiiig grain of salt to my opinion of amino, tumblr, or any platform basically.

Kirsten015

Transgender Pride
Non-Binary Pride
Fictionkin
Alterhuman
Plural
Pronouns
Neutral
We've looked at some stuff on amino but we didn't really like the site enough to sign up on an account there. The reason why host became aware of Amino was because they were googling information about their angelic name (Ariel), they saw a roleplay account in an angelic section even with the name Eveningstar attached (it wasn't an angelkin group), and went to view the site some.

On most other sites we have revealed our identities to others on, most didn't take us seriously, even if we already knew the other person well and had similar things in common with them. That's part of the reason why host left tumblr, as that was back when host was experiencing a stunted awakening because they were lost on any information and didn't know what to do to help the experience progress. Even on this site host was wary and waited ten months to post anything. We'd say to just be cautious, though we've heard the site has helped tons of others in the past so there's good things about it too.

arcticroses

Pronouns
Neutral
It's okay. I've met some decent people, but lots of toxicity and "kin-for-fun" stuff goes on there. If I were to use it, I would recommend the Therian Amino, but in all honesty, I wouldn't really use that one anyways. It depends on what you're looking for. The information on there is more of a 50/50 vibe, so I would recommend using other platforms instead unless you can find a smaller community.

2-D

Plural
Fictionkin
Furry
Bisexual Pride
Asexual Pride
Otherkin
Transgender Pride
Pronouns
Masculine
I'm on the otherkin/fictionkin amino, and it isn't bad. It also isn't very active. Amino attracts a lot of younger folk, so it may not be the place to go if you are looking for more mature and in depth discussions. It's not that they don't happen there, but it's like a kin social media.

Pronouns
Neutral
We have a friend who was essentially banned for encouraging bullying after they were attacked for being a "fake system" by one of the staff on Therian Amino. It's not that good to have but those moments where we were talking with friends? Ain't nothing better

Sol

Otherhearted
Crow
Alterhuman
Otherkin
Fictionkin
Furry
Pronouns
Masculine
In terms of experiences, Amino has been either neutral or negative for me. I was contacted by a childish mod once just to accuse me of trolling after I submitted what I thought was a civil post. I suppose it depends for anyone. Just make sure you choose the most reasonable group to interact with.

Dromaeus

Pronouns
Masculine
I've been active in the main Therian Amino for 4 years now and was even staff there for a year, and in my honest opinion, it's passed it's climax already and is slowly becoming bland and inactive. It became hella toxic recently due to a couple of the (now ex) leaders ended up letting their power go to their heads, one of which was mentioned in another reply about how endogenic systems were being invalidated and weren't even allowed to call themselves systems, it was awful.

BUT, both leaders have retired now and I have faith in most of the staff that remain ^^

Only issues now are just that the place is slowly going down in activity and the vibes there are just sort of... eh now for me. There's a leader there that I'm not too fond of cause they remind me of those old leaders, and a very active member there that also reminds me of the old leaders and I'm pretty worried that the member will be promoted to staff there :(

Other aminos I'm not fond of at all honestly. There's a lot of people who either "kin for fun" or define being a therian as "being connected to animals" and you get labelled a gatekeeper for correcting them, so i avoid the other communities.

Pronouns
Neutral
We were pretty invalidated we were struck for claiming to have DID (we didn't) and another if our friends was apparently "faking DID symptoms" which is horrifying that they think they're doctors. (TW selfharm)

We were also struck for saying we had depression which is just disgusting, they didn't hold a knife to their throat and consider slitting it.

I've been active in the main Therian Amino for 4 years now and was even staff there for a year, and in my honest opinion, it's passed it's climax already and is slowly becoming bland and inactive. It became hella toxic recently due to a couple of the (now ex) leaders ended up letting their power go to their heads, one of which was mentioned in another reply about how endogenic systems were being invalidated and weren't even allowed to call themselves systems, it was awful.

BUT, both leaders have retired now and I have faith in most of the staff that remain ^^

Only issues now are just that the place is slowly going down in activity and the vibes there are just sort of... eh now for me. There's a leader there that I'm not too fond of cause they remind me of those old leaders, and a very active member there that also reminds me of the old leaders and I'm pretty worried that the member will be promoted to staff there :(

Other aminos I'm not fond of at all honestly. There's a lot of people who either "kin for fun" or define being a therian as "being connected to animals" and you get labelled a gatekeeper for correcting them, so i avoid the other communities.

Ninetails

Pronouns
Neutral
I would not reccomend therian amino. The staff think they are doctors who can decide who has dissosiative disorders or who doesnt, and will accuse you of "bullying" should you not agree with everything they say or stick up for yourself. I was silent about my opinion on endogenic systems (which they are against) but was pried by staff on multiple occasions, only for them to punish me because I had a differing opinion from them.

While discovering if we were a traumagenic system after going almost a year thinking we were endogenic, we were accused of "faking symptoms" and banned from talking about plurality altogether. It caused us a lot of stress and I don't want to see others get hurt the way we did.

Pronouns
Neutral
Another edit, this time with jubilant joy in my heart. Today, we spoke to one of the mods on TA asking if we could use plural pronouns and received this in response:adb8010ca5b15b3cb15b88b162218862cd58da79d8c37939r7-498-1024_hq.jpg

We were overjoyed to be able to use plural pronouns in mod-governed chats once again without fear, and it's been amazingly nice. We do not know how they feel about DID systems, but endogenics are once again safe.

Ninetails

Pronouns
Neutral
I would not reccomend therian amino. The staff think they are doctors who can decide who has dissosiative disorders or who doesnt, and will accuse you of "bullying" should you not agree with everything they say or stick up for yourself. I was silent about my opinion on endogenic systems (which they are against) but was pried by staff on multiple occasions, only for them to punish me because I had a differing opinion from them.

While discovering if we were a traumagenic system after going almost a year thinking we were endogenic, we were accused of "faking symptoms" and banned from talking about plurality altogether. It caused us a lot of stress and I don't want to see others get hurt the way we did.

I do feel the need to mention that we have talked to the staff and things have been resolved for the most part. The amino is under new leadership and seems to have improved since this happened.