Kinmunity

Welcome to Kinmunity - We're an online community resource and forum for alterhumans including: otherkin, therians, vampires, and others with non-human identities

In order to receive full access to Kinmunity, you'll have to register an account. Registering gives you access to the following features:

• The ability to create new threads and reply to existing ones on our forums.
  • The ability to read messages in "The Dens", our members only area.
  • The ability to chat with others in our Discord server.
  • The ability to create your very own blog on the site - write whatever you want!
  • The ability to create, join, and participate in social groups!
  • and so much more...
So what are you waiting for? Join Kinmunity today!

How to diminish prey drive?

Hikiko

Asexual Pride
Therianthrope
Fictionkin
Any/All
I have an absolute beast of a prey drive, and it's almost impossible for me to not have a go at any small, quick-moving animal that crosses my line of sight. Even if I don't stalk or give chase, there's still that tensing and lowering of the body. I'm mostly asking how to stop this so that I don't pull a smooth brain move and get stung by a bee or something, since we have flowers opening and that means we'll have pollinators, but I'm also asking because I'm going to be in a densely populated area soon and there will likely be a lot of city animals around. I just cannot restrain myself when it comes to pigeons, and human society is so judgmental.

irkeneon

Otherkin
Fictionkin
Plural
What does it for me is eating food with my hands, it helps me get out the more food-driven animal instincts. you might not be able to do this if you live with others or can't cook yourself, but I like to do it whenever I get meat especially steaks or chicken.

exercise can also help, especially if it's jogging or cycling, since that helps you let loose the urge to run and get out some energy in general

Red-in-Tooth

Machairodont Felid
+Primal Member
VIP
Therianthrope
Golden Shield
He/Him
The prey drive in carnivorous and to some extent omnivorous animals is not, ultimately, something that can be resolved outright. What one is describing is a common problem faced by many young predatory animals, predominantly canids and felids, who by lack of experience and by lack of meaningful output of their mental and physical energy are drawn to chase after and or begin stalking quarry. This arises from having had little teaching in this aspect - usually these are those who were orphaned or reared by parents who never needed to hunt themselves, thus in captivity. So the advice I can provide here, as a bit on the nose as it is, is indeed actually from legitimate conservation practices and one of the things we do is condition the animal in question to avoid this type of action.

Firstly, since we usually wish to preserve hunting behavior in order for continuity of the species and for the obvious that they need to eat, it is there they are typically introduced to their actual prey. They are exercised in it, when growing up, by those specific animals being used as playthings and with props, and are often rewarded with food for successful "kills" of them to generate that specific association. Second, it tends to be the case that where inappropriately overzealous, the animal needs to expend its excess energy by being active in general, and needing to realize that hunting is an energy intensive activity and that chasing everything is not worth the output of energy it acts as a sink to (this will come back around again with redirection and displacement of mental energy). So they must be physically active and fit, they need to play - physically - and move daily and be deprived of their reserve of inner bodily energy, which would normally be seeking behavior or patrolling; in a "therian" case, this would need be finding exercises like walking or running to put this to a meaningful end of energy. Lastly, and again this is a summary because we can scarcely train oneself as we would an animal of how and what to hunt, so as to depress the urge by successes, is by redirecting the mindset itself. The animal needs to see prey as only worth the effort when not only hungry or liable to be successful in the hunt, but that it is not mentally bored. Proper stimulation needs to be offered, which would normally be patrolling a territory and sensory stimulation such as tracking and or seeking. For those who are animals in themselves but trapped in the mire of humanity, one really needs to find a source of mental energy consumption that is satisfactory in this regard. That could be something as simple as writing about being what it means to be animal and playing out those fantasies, be it privately or in roleplay to "act out" the nature of what it means to be that thing, or by playing a game which does these things for them and consumes that urge and thought process.

When dealing with people in the outside world, one has to see it from the perspective of an animal in an unsafe environment. The illusion of safety based upon our exposure to the human aspect gives us too much comfort in doing things that might, or really are, unreasonable for most predatory animals to do. As humans in a human world, at least in physicality, are conditioned to the fact that the actions have pretty minimal consequences barring the most extreme ones. This makes it possible for even us inwardly to turn outwardly and act disproportionately to what is animality. Most felids, for example, unless far too comfortable in the face of danger by say, simply not knowing it from lack of experience in being taught by their mothers, will avoid engaging in any behavior aside from the absolute essentials; there is no reason to hunt copious amounts of prey or to chase after everything that can be stalked on the prey drive's urges because all of it is being depressed by the awareness the environment is unsafe and too risky to do so without severe consequence. Keeping this in mind, one needs to develop a tempo of accepting and understanding this is true with the world as we ourselves know it in this human manifestation as well.

People are not going to be friendly to us and our mannerisms and will harm us in some capacity, even if that harm is not the kind animals generally consider. Thus we should be behaviorally wary of what we choose to do or not do. Each encounter is naturally risky, although here the risk of culturally and socially rooted and consequential there. Not forgetting that these less than overt things is important to keep in mind. Not just for reasons of the animality made manifest in oneself but so too the fact of the matter that people can and will reproach these things and thus diminish us, ergo harm us to some capacity, and so we should be guarded against this by tempering irrational urges in ourselves as a sort of code of conduct.

Beepy Data Center

Moderation Team
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
Alterhuman
Plural
Furry
Conceptkin
custom pronouns
I'll be honest, I'm not even a therian and my ADHD "instinct" is to just chase small animals heh. I usually handle it by allowing myself to just eye track the animal, and stare at it and watch its movements. It's really hard not to get distracted by moving anything in my peripheral vision. But if I really must chase a small animal, I'm usually really casual about it, making myself seem like I'm a more normal form of weirdo i.e. "pspspspsps I want to pet you" to the cute animals. You could try making the pspspsps noise if you must chase an animal to make people think you're just a crazy animal person, but not like, actually crazy.

Jeb_CC

+Primal Member
VIP
Alterhuman
Aromantic Pride
Asexual Pride
Xe/Xem
My prey drive is so strong that if I twitch my own foot and see it in my peripheral I go "OOH WHAT'S THAT!?" :')
The only thing I can think of is to chew gum. Can't chase something when you're already munching away on a 'meal'.