• Site Maintenance in progress; pardon our dust!

I need other peoples opinion

Zorya: Hey I didn't know where else to post this but if it's in the wrong spot please let me know. I just need somone else's opinion on this so I know if I'm overreacting. Basicly back in October my uncle was dying in Tennessee and I begged and pleaded to go since I hadn't missed any classes up to that point. They refused to take me becouse I had classes still and my brother had break and he died shortly after they went up to see him. Now a week from now we are planning another trip to Tennessee to see my great aunt who is getting up there in age on my break but my parents are letting my brother come even though he has missed the past 2 weeks of school and his grades are doing poorly. I don't know but to me that sounds really unfair and I'm really upset. I was just wondering am I right in being mad and upset about this or am I just overreacting?

GlitchedSystem I honestly would be spitting fire rn if my parents did that, but out of experience I’m learning (quite slowly) that it’s possible or even probable that they have a  legitimate reason and are just pulling the stupid “I’m the parent and don’t need to explain myself to you” act so I’d just start a heart to heart conversation with the parent u r closer to and somehow bring that up being understanding and asking why. But yes I feel u r justified in your anger 

Addy-River

I feel you're justified, thats really not fair at all. I'm not sure how bringing it up would go, depending on how your parents are. Some parents really don't care, just because they're the parent and what they say goes.

When I was about 8 years old, my family  (mom and brother) were planning a trip to Six Flags with my moms then bf and his two kids. No one said a word to me about me not going, so I got all ready and packed a bag to stay in a hotel, and they just took off and left me standing there. Luckily my grandma was there, so I wasn't left alone. Moms bf at the time did not like me, and they seemed to think it was fair to just leave me standing there, ready to go.

So some parents don't really give a shit how you feel, simply because they're the parent and they make the rules.

We did try and talk to my mom about it and we got the samething we always get. Your older you understand more he is younger than you and special and if we left him home he would throw a fit what else do you want us to do. I'm getting so sick and tired of the your older he is younger and has more problems than you. You should try and understand more.

Amber

Astral skydancer
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
VIP
Hm.. I don't completely understand this... will you be joining them this time to see your aunt or not? If you can join, I'd rather recommend to look forward to the trip. You might find out later why they refused to let you join back in October. If you can't join again, maybe you could call your aunt and talk about it?

Apart from that, I can understand you're upset and I agree your mother's reasoning sounds not too convincing. There might be another reason. But at the same time I'm not really comfortable to judge about your parents from remote. I don't know them or your family situation. They might have had good reasons, even if it's impossible for you to understand now. Please try to calm down if you can, keeping a good relationship to your family is so important. Mind you, I'm 40 and don't have any children. My relationship to my parents is perfect, but my father has broken up nearly every contact to his side, especially his brother... having no brothers or sisters myself, I find this very sad.

@Amber Yeah this time I'm going to see my Aunt. I'm just pissed that they are letting my brother miss school to come when they didn't let me miss school when my uncle was dying becouse they where worried about my grades. 

Amber

Astral skydancer
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
VIP
Ah, I see, that's good. As I said, try to calm down a bit and look forward to the trip - I wish you a great stay there! Maybe you want to tell your aunt that you're really sad you couldn't see your uncle in October.

@Amber yeah I'm trying to chill out and I'm planning to go by and see his grave with her while I'm there and leaving him somthing there. I hope things go well. I was just angery but i shouldn't let that efffect the trip.