• Site Maintenance in progress; pardon our dust!

I’m curious about Otherkins

Hi, my name is Mandy. I didn’t realize until after I signed up that people could post to this thread without signing up. Oh well, it’s free, so that’s ok.

I’ve vaguely heard of otherkins, and I want to know more about them. I’ve always been different from other people, so I’m wondering if I identify with otherkin. Because I feel and see things differently from basically everyone I know, I’m considering the possibility that I may be spiritually nonhuman. Heck, even my mom says there’s something “magical” about me, and she’s a relatively normal person. While I’m intrigued by the idea of otherkin, I’d like to talk to real otherkins to get a feel for it.

InkyDaily

Ink Hybrid
Elder
Hello! The main host of this account isnt available right now, but I can offer some help!
First, here is a glossary of terms you'll see used here: Terminology & Lexicon

Second of all, its important to take your questioning slow. Lets start with what aspects of you feel nonhuman. And then, what animal or entities do you feel connected with. Reaserch into them, see what resonates, and so on! Questioning can be difficult and time consuming and thats ok! Other things that can help with this include medidtaion and the like!

Best of luck!

Hello! The main host of this account isnt available right now, but I can offer some help!
First, here is a glossary of terms you'll see used here: Terminology & Lexicon

Second of all, its important to take your questioning slow. Lets start with what aspects of you feel nonhuman. And then, what animal or entities do you feel connected with. Reaserch into them, see what resonates, and so on! Questioning can be difficult and time consuming and thats ok! Other things that can help with this include medidtaion and the like!

Best of luck!
Upon reading the glossary, I see there is otherkin and Other-hearted. What is the real distinction? Any sane person will admit that they are physically human—at least in this life on earth, so what is the experience of identifying “as” a different creature like as opposed to “with”? I admit that I don’t know everything about the universe, and I’m questioning what I am, but I want to fully understand these identities so that I don’t consider being something that doesn’t match me.

InkyDaily

Ink Hybrid
Elder
Well, if you can look at a creature and say that IS me, that is kin. And Hearted is having something be very like you, but not you. Of course that is what can be hard to distinguish. Its about how you feel inside, in your very being

Well, if you can look at a creature and say that IS me, that is kin. And Hearted is having something be very like you, but not you. Of course that is what can be hard to distinguish. Its about how you feel inside, in your very being
Thank you. I have 1 more question for now: Recently I heard the story of the Final Fantasy House. This community isn’t like that, correct? The group claimed to identify as FF7 characters and the leaders had a lot of control over other members. I’m simply checking since I saw “fictokin” listed. I think exploring identity in a free, open way is positive, which is why I’m here.

InkyDaily

Ink Hybrid
Elder
correct. the owner of this account is fictionkin and so are many others on this site. But, and this is very blunt, none are controlling assholes. Being otherkin and fictionkin does not warrant such behavior and doesn't cause it either

There are lots of different alterhuman identities. I think starseed counts as one, and there are other similar things. Just feeling "different" could mean so many different things, not necessarily just otherkin! But we do appreciate you being open minded, even if you find you weren't otherkin after all.

Just to extend on the otherkin vs otherhearted bit- otherkin is feeling like "I am this thing, this is me, when I see it I feel as if I'm looking in a mirror" while otherhearted (or "kith" if you prefer) is having a deep connection to something/some creature, feeling like it has a special place in you but isn't really apart of your identity. Or it could be apart of your identity in a different way from otherkin. I hope I explained that well! Let us know if you have any more questions c:

Otherkin and fictionkin do not believe they physically are their kin. It's a spiritual or psychological thing. It isn't like the Final Fantasy House. If that even happened, it was a few individuals who do not reflect the values and ideas of the community.

Identifying as means you believe you are x. Spiritual otherkin typically believe their soul is non-human incarnated into a human body. Psychological otherkin view it as an involuntary identity made by their brain. I don't know as much about them, though.

Identifying with would mean you just relate to it. A common example is fictional characters. A lot of people relate to them, but a lot less actually identify as them.

Sometimes, figuring out our identities is a matter of differentiating between these two. "Do I relate to and want to be this, or am I actually this?" is a good question to ask.

It's 100% okay to explore otherkin if you feel drawn to it, but don't rush into it. Take your time. Do a lot of journaling and introspection. Listen to your gut. Try not to force anything onto yourself. Ask yourself if it's something you just want to be, or does it feel deeper? What about it resonates with you so deeply? (I'm still in this step with two potential kins.)
Do a lot of research. Spend a lot of time looking at the experiences of others. It's very helpful, and worth it in the long run.

The journey may be long, but you learn a lot along the way. I've been questioning for two years.

Welcome to the site, by the way!

To second what @confusedghost said, the questioning journey can take a long time. I, Ravenna, am the main frontal member of the Olympus System (what we call our headmates collectively), and have currently been questioning several things for about 3 years. About a month ago we welcomed a new headmate, we think he is a coping-link but we don't know. Sam's a bit shy. The rest of us have popped in at seemingly random times. I am a wolfkin, hence the profile picture, but we have cambions, demigods, even a human-wolf hybrid. So don't overthink it, meditating helps. I found that drawing and writing about my otherkin parts, like each headmate or my therian side, works really well too. Welcome to Kinmunity!

- Adieu,
The Olympus System