• Site Maintenance in progress; pardon our dust!

I'm leaving the therian community

Note: I will continue to administrate and maintain Kinmunity and Wolf Howl, and actively develop them both!

After much consideration, I have decided to depart from the greater alterhuman community (including the otherkin and therianthropy communities, respectively) due to a wide variety of reasons that would be best summarized as: my personal views and the consensus of the greater community generally go in entirely different directions. I will always be a wolf girl, but no longer use the label “wolf therian” or “wolfkin”. I am making this decision to do what is best for me and my conscious, and maintain that there are many good people in the community. However, there is also many problems with the community and I no longer wish to be associated with it.

• The community appropriates LGBTQ+ terminology, language, and experiences.
When I first entered the community, use of the term “transspecies” was a mark of an inexperienced newcomer. Now, unfortunately, it has gained widespread use. There are various voices within the otherkin community who believe that otherkin and therian should be a part of the LGBTQ+…. the experiences simply aren’t comparable. This view is harmful to people within the LGBTQ+ community, and to otherkin themselves. I do not condone nor support it.

• The community welcomes, accepts, and includes proud “zoophiles”.
Zoophila is a paraphila in which one is sexually attracted to animals. While Zoophila isn’t always harmful (there is such a thing as a non-practicing zoopphile (one who does not act on their fantasies)), it isn’t something that all therians wish to be associated with. Therians used to fight hard to prevent association with zoophila, but now they actively welcome it as a part of the experience. Notorious practicing zoophiles continue to be allowed to participate in, and in some cases, lead sections of the community. Practicing zoophiles are committing animal abuse, and animals are not capable of informed consent. I VEHEMENTLY oppose zoophila being an acceptable topic within the community.

• The community shuns those who express themselves and present as anything other than the stereotypical image of a “well adjusted adult”, especially the neurodiverse.
The community is quick to shun those who are public about their identity, especially if in the media or if their identity gains any attention. They are also quick to engage in cringe culture for those making quadrobics videos, and other forms of unharmful self-expression. The community functions as an exclusive club that beats down those it feels do not belong.

• Predators run wild within the community.
Sexual predators frequrently prey on the otherkin and therianthropy communities, and some even run sites and are seen by others as subject-matter-experts. I am aware of at least ten people that I have personally reported to the authorities for this sort of behavior. Those with enough “street cred” within the community can get away with such behavior, because nobody wants the allegations to be true, or are afraid to stand up for what’s right.

MINORS HAVE BEEN GROOMED ON THERIAN SITES, AND IN AT LEAST ONE CASE, BY A SITE ADMINISTRATOR OF ANOTHER SITE!!!

A large function of being an administrator on Kinmunity, is preventing such behavior. We use various means to do so, which I will not be listing all of here for security reasons. I will say that we have banned between 3-9 users and reported them to the authorities for suspected or confirmed child grooming. They have been discovered by both automated and manual means.

Many site administrators have no experience with, or the technical tools to handle this… yet still, some administrators are themselves groomers.

• The community is not interested in fixing any of these problems.
Myself and one other community administrator have been working behind the scenes to identify and remove predators from the community, including reporting them to the appropriate law enforcement agency. Thus far, I am the only community administrator that has taken an active stance against zoophila, and have spoken out against appropriating LGBTQ+ language, terminology, and experiences. Others have made it clear that it is not their goal to do any of this, and therefore, I will not associate with said others.

• I will continue to run Kinmunity and Wolf Howl.
Kinmunity and Wolf Howl are resources that people have enjoyed, so they will continue to be actively supported and developed. I’m still a wolf, just don’t call me a therian!

Code:
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA256

08/24/2020
Official Statement on Naia's Departure from the Otherkin and Therian Communities.

After much consideration, I have decided to depart from the greater alterhuman community (including the otherkin and therianthropy communities, respectively) due to a wide variety of reasons that would be best summarized as: my personal views and the consensus of the greater community generally go in entirely different directions. I will always be a wolf girl, but no longer use the label "wolf therian" or "wolfkin". I am making this decision to do what is best for me and my conscious, and maintain that there are many good people in the community. However, there is also many problems with the community and I no longer wish to be associated with it.

a) The community appropriates LGBTQ+ terminology, language, and experiences.

When I first entered the community, use of the term "transspecies" was a mark of an inexperienced newcomer. Now, unfortunately, it has gained widespread use. There are various voices within the otherkin community who believe that otherkin and therian should be a part of the LGBTQ+.... the experiences simply aren't comparable. This view is harmful to people within the LGBTQ+ community, and to otherkin themselves. I do not condone nor support it.

b) The community welcomes, accepts, and includes proud "zoophiles".

Zoophila is a paraphila in which one is sexually attracted to animals. While Zoophila isn't always harmful (there is such a thing as a non-practicing zoopphile (one who does not act on their fantasies)), it isn't something that all therians wish to be associated with. Therians used to fight hard to prevent association with zoophila, but now they actively welcome it as a part of the experience. Notorious practicing zoophiles continue to be allowed to participate in, and in some cases, lead sections of the community. Practicing zoophiles are committing animal abuse, and animals are not capable of informed consent. I VEHEMENTLY oppose zoophila being an acceptable topic within the community.

c) The community shuns those who express themselves and present as anything other than the stereotypical image of a "well adjusted adult", especially the neurodiverse.

The community is quick to shun those who are public about their identity, especially if in the media or if their identity gains any attention. They are also quick to engage in cringe culture for those making quadrobics videos, and other forms of unharmful self-expression. The community functions as an exclusive club that beats down those it feels do not belong.

d) Predators run wild within the community.

Sexual predators frequrently prey on the otherkin and therianthropy communities, and some even run sites and are seen by others as subject-matter-experts. I am aware of at least ten people that I have personally reported to the authorities for this sort of behavior. Those with enough "street cred" within the community can get away with such behavior, because nobody wants the allegations to be true, or are afraid to stand up for what's right.

MINORS HAVE BEEN GROOMED ON THERIAN SITES, AND IN AT LEAST ONE CASE, BY A SITE ADMINISTRATOR.

A large function of being an administrator on Kinmunity, is preventing such behavior. We use various means to do so, which I will not be listing all of here for security reasons. I will say that we have banned between 3-9 users and reported them to the authorities for suspected or confirmed child grooming. They have been discovered by both automated and manual means.

Many site administrators have no experience with, or the technical tools to handle this... yet still, some administrators are themselves groomers.

e) The community is not interested in fixing any of these problems.

Myself and one other community administrator have been working behind the scenes to identify and remove predators from the community, including reporting them to the appropriate law enforcement agency. Thus far, I am the only community administrator that has taken an active stance against zoophila, and have spoken out against appropriating LGBTQ+ language, terminology, and experiences. Others have made it clear that it is not their goal to do any of this, and therefore, I will not associate with said others.

f) I will continue to run Kinmunity and Wolf Howl.
Kinmunity and Wolf Howl are resources that people have enjoyed, so they will continue to be actively supported and developed. I'm still a wolf, just don't call me a therian!

/s/ Naia Shiro Ōkami
08/24/2020

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----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=vcXg
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

InkyDaily

Ink Hybrid
Elder
Happy trails, friend! I agree with you on these and I do wish to see them improve, especially the predators and the stuff around being a well adjusted adult, as I'd love to be more open and expressive of my identity but I fear shunning, I assume I dont need to explain why the predator situation bothers me. I hope to do my part to help in these one day.

Thank you for all you've done, this site has been a great experience for me, and others. Thank you

I very much feel you on these points, and I'm glad you're doing what you feel you need to for your own sake, but I am also glad you're keeping this forum open and operating under your moderation. I especially feel the topic of zoophiles running wild in the wider therian community, and those that defend them without realizing that coddling these feelings puts real animals in danger, even when the zoophile is currently non-practicing. Finding this forum has made me feel much more secure about having a relatable therian space without worrying about them being in said space, spreading the harmful misinformation and mindsets they carry, and for that I thank you and the fellow staff.

I know you're staying on the forums, just leaving the broader community, but just thank you, so much, for everything you do for the community. You are making a BIG difference, even if it doesn't feel like it.

Jethero

Jaggy
Staff member
Guardian
VIP
I’ve more or less taken the same approach. If I can’t fight the growing mess out there, I’m going to stay here where I can continue to support people seeking help and information in a healthy environment. It’s all I CAN do without driving myself up the wall with the futility of it all.

Tizri

Oh geez, I didn't know that was even happening! :0

I'm rather new to this all and now... Idk... All that makes me want to turn tail and return to my solitude. ;-;

I hope everything will be ok, it's horrid when people take advantage & have ill intentions towards the Innocents of the world...

I respect your wishes and wish the best for you.

The zoophile stuff really stresses me out :c I've had to block so many people on twitter already because the moment I say "haha frick zoophiles" they come running in, retweet my post and try to make me look bad. I have been traumatized enough by that community, why can't they just leave me alone? I disappeared from the alterhuman community for a couple of years and come back (granted, I've never been on kin twitter until now) just for this crap. I don't have the energy to continue fighting them all the time. I have much better things to do than argue with shitty people who clearly cannot be swayed by logic and see absolutely nothing wrong with what they do. Also, I personally have been borderline groomed (I was technically 18 at the time but BARELY, and VERY mentally unstable) by someone in the kin community. So, I really don't fucking blame you. People are disgusting.

I definitely support your decision 100%, especially about the zoophilia, there are some more 'popular' faces in the therian community who are either active zoophiles or support zoophilia and it makes me sick.

Red-in-Tooth

Machairodont Felid
VIP
While it is sad to hear your departure seems finalized, really all one can ever do is make that kind of decision for themselves. With that in mind, I am glad to hear you will not be shuttering the community here because of said leaving. Best of luck all the same.