• Site Maintenance in progress; pardon our dust!

Kintypes and Gender Identity

Yves

Questioning if my identity is the opposite gender of me; This got me thinking.

The fact that I am FTM (male) and am questioning my wolf identity being female is a little, I don’t know. Only because I’m very ‘stereotypically masculine to the point where when I first awoke I assumed I was this overly masculine black wolf.

Come to find out — my identity just may be a masculine she-wolf? And I’m okay with that!

It’s interesting that I actually don’t mind the pronouns her / she when referring to that side of myself. It feels more fitting than he/him — it’s like I automatically think of my human side.

The whole being both Wolf / Werewolf has always been comfortable for me but I never really considered that maybe being transgender can sway my kintype somehow? Especially with the Werewolf thing — it’s not a common trait for Werewolves to also change gender, that’s just not apart of our image.
He just doesn’t feel as right as she, as much as my masculine pride wants to say he haha. Though, I’m not sure. All these years I’ve always assumed my identity was male and probably still is — I just wanted to get other viewpoints.

The whole being both Wolf / Werewolf has always been comfortable for me but I never really considered that maybe being transgender can sway my kintype somehow? Especially with the Werewolf thing — it’s not a common trait for Werewolves to also change gender, that’s just not apart of our image.

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
I'm not sure exactly what your question is in all this, but it is possible for a person's kintype's gender to be different from their currently embodied one. Sometimes that influences a person to question their assumed gender, and sometimes it stays completely separate. A person with more than one kintype might even have more than one gender represented there. There aren't really any "rules" about how it plays out. It just goes on a case by case basis.

Yves

I'm not sure exactly what your question is in all this, but it is possible for a person's kintype's gender to be different from their currently embodied one. Sometimes that influences a person to question their assumed gender, and sometimes it stays completely separate. A person with more than one kintype might even have more than one gender represented there. There aren't really any "rules" about how it plays out. It just goes on a case by case basis.
Rushed this, unfortunately. I apologize.

Brought it up because I really haven’t heard much talk about embodying an identity that holds a different gender then the one you identify with as a human. Not even with those with being ‘past lives’. I’ve only encountered one person and it was a long time ago.

It would be awesome to connect and get more information posted. I’m sure I won’t be the last alterhuman to question this.

Yves

UPDATE

This was a completely new feeling and is definitely out of he ordinary for my experiences. I doubt my identity is female but I definitely would like to delve deeper with those who have experience with this topic. Before ruling it out!

Shezep

Gold Donor
VIP
My case is not as polar as yours, but the relationship between my kintype's gender and my own has had me scratching my head a few times.

I grew up thinking I was a girl who had tomboyish characteristics. This was before the mainstream had much thought about anything transgender at all, so it wasn't something I thought of as an option until years later. I didn't want to be a guy exactly, but I knew that I didn't fall into the typical girl category. When I was a teenager, I thought my kintype was a female anthro hawk. (Didn't know the word otherkin back then, but anyway.)

Later I had a dream where I was acting as my kintype, as a guy, and that felt perfectly natural. In college, I had my second awakening and I was a guy there too. The gender flip was probably a big reason why I didn't figure it out sooner. I'm a partial incarnation/shard of Horus and he's a guy, so naturally that's how that would work, right?

Except when you go beyond the surface and start asking more questions. Do celestial beings have human-like genders or is that something that humans have projected onto them? Also, what about Horit, the female Horus, and the other presumably male deities that have female versions as well? It's not quite as clear-cut as you'd assume. We're also dealing with an ancient civilization that saw masculinity as a virtue. No doubt, that would play a role in biasing their perceptions.

It's possible that there are more people who have opposite gendered kintypes who just haven't realized it. I was pretty dense about it for a long time.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if mine counts as being a different gender or not. It's all very ambiguous. He tends to lean more masculine than I do, but that may depend on context. Since I now think of myself as gender-fluid, I depend on context as well. I recently had top surgery and am taking low dose T and I'm happy hanging out in the middle. I may shift one way or the other, but usually not too far to either side.

Questioning if my identity is the opposite gender of me; This got me thinking.

The fact that I am FTM (male) and am questioning my wolf identity being female is a little, I don’t know. Only because I’m very ‘stereotypically masculine to the point where when I first awoke I assumed I was this overly masculine black wolf.

Come to find out — my identity just may be a masculine she-wolf? And I’m okay with that!

It’s interesting that I actually don’t mind the pronouns her / she when referring to that side of myself. It feels more fitting than he/him — it’s like I automatically think of my human side.

He just doesn’t feel as right as she, as much as my masculine pride wants to say he haha. Though, I’m not sure. All these years I’ve always assumed my identity was male and probably still is — I just wanted to get other viewpoints.

In fact, the gender of the Kin type can be very different from the biological gender of the human body. It even confused me with my relatives because my relatives don't even know anything about gender or sexual orientation. So I found that my relatives here in this world pretty much combine all gender and sexual orientations and are none of them at the same time. In order to save my environment from this confusion, I just accept my biological gender (simply because my kin doesn't know any concepts of gender and doesn't feel offended by it). Make your experiences, confusing at times, but definitely exciting.

Last edited by a moderator:
My case is not as cut and dry as yours, but as a fellow trans person I also know what it's like to deal with the complexities of human gender.

I am a binary trans man, but I have some feminine aspects of myself that some would argue would make me non-binary. I actually experimented with that label and they pronouns recently, early this year, and while I wasn't object to it, it didn't fit me nearly as much as trans man and exclusive he pronouns did.
For the first ten years of my life or so I was convinced I was a girl despite my masculine behavior, presentation, social circle, and general demeanor. I was in every sense of the word a huge tomboy. My white wolf theriotype at the time reflected this. But as I got older and puberty started to come on, I realized I was different from the other girls because I did not want the changes I was experiencing. Both looking into it as well as the evolving online culture I was apart of at the time, I learned about what the word transgender meant and did extensive research into it. Prior to this, I had no idea that being a gender seperate from your birth sex was even a possibility, which is why I was convinced I was a girl for so long (in addition to various other things, but that's another story).

I knew I was trans in 2012. I didn't publicly come out until 2013. When I started HRT at an average dose in 2015, my theriotype began to physically change with me. No longer did I have white fur, but the entire concept of me being a wolf shifted as well. I began to experience cameo shifts daily. My fur got darker. I began to relate to and project myself onto other animals and species' on a level similar to that of when I was only a wolf. Late 2019 to early 2020, I began to use the term shapeshifter to describe my therianthropy experiences. After finally getting top surgery earlier this year, I feel more connected and comfortable with myself, as well as my theriotype.

But similar to what Shezep said, do other beings/entities experience gender the same way humans do, or is that something that humans place onto them? I feel similarly about the way biological animals experience gender identity, that is, in a much more primal way that relies far more on biology, evolution, and survival. I won't speculate and bring my own personal theories into this (in regards to human gender), but I feel if the animal kingdom were as sapient as humans, they would also have their own cultures and societies, alongside mankind, with their own traditions and ideas of gender and sex based on species and said species' sexual dymorphism.

But to make a long, off-topic ramble short, I think it depends on a case-by-case analysis. Similar to trans people as well as therianthropy/otherkin, there is no set of rules to exist in a certain, specific way or a requirement follow a certain rigid template in order to be accepted and treated with respect in these communities. Everyone varies in terms of who they are and especially in terms of identity.

Marie

I identify as non-binary, and I use they/them pronouns. On one hand, since my kintype doesn't have a human lower half, it would make sense for some merfolk to go by neutral pronouns. But on the other hand, I love to present femininely. I love looking and presenting more feminine. My kintype is specifically a feminine merperson (mermaid). But that doesn't invalidate my experience as a non-binary person, or the use of they/them pronouns. It just feels right and more comfortable for me. She / her pronouns don't bother me per se, but I prefer they / them. Gender can be a confusing thing sometimes. Just know you aren't alone in the experience! 💙

Personally, I feel like if I wasn't angelkin, I WOULDN'T be trans. The way I see my kintype is sort of a past lives thing right. I feel like I was 100% male (maybe not in the way that human men experience being male, but I was definitely male). So, for me, since I feel like my kintype is connected to almost every aspect of my identity, naturally I feel like I am trans BECAUSE I am angelkin. However, your kintype doesn't necessarily have to affect your gender the way mine does. Everyone is different.

Amber

Astral skydancer
Staff member
Guardian
Gold Donor
VIP
I've pondered about my gender identity a bit. First of all, gender has never been something too important to me, and I never had any real reason to be too concerned with it. My current physical body is born male and I have no intention to change that, not so much because it fits but more because it "works for me". Mentally I don't really feel I have much masculine attributes. I actually don't feel like I have many gender-related attributes at all, that's why I consider myself agender. It might be a reason why I tend to make my physical body not look too masculine... I don't like too much body hair, and I like to keep it slim and not too bulky. On the other hand, when it comes to my kin identity, I have a slight but clear tendency towards female. You can see that from my username, but also if people address me as neutral or female dragon, that feels just a *tiny* bit more "right" than when addressed male. Still overall I don't care all too much.

All in all, I think gender doesn't make much difference for dragons like me. It makes sense imo bc look at reptiles: in general you can't tell their gender by just looking at them. Being a celestial dragon doesn't add any genderization for me. In effect I'm wondering a bit why the female feels a tiny bit better.. it might just be a little compensation for being seen as male in this world. I don't really like to be treated a certain way because of my gender.