Marriage Equality in America | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Marriage Equality in America

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Loki, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Loki

Loki Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ2.00
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Yes, it has finally happened. The supreme court ruled that all 50 states have to allow marriages regardless of gender. I'm so happy, as I myself am pansexual and many, many of my friends haven't been able to legally marry yet, but now they can as of today. Even now in Texas, all of my friends who have been wanting to marry, can, and get the same rights as other married couples. I'm really, really happy about this.

• Like Like x 20
  2. Voffen

Voffen The dachshund and Poof
    VIP K9 Unit

Bones:
    Ƀ30,001.65
    Daring DachshundBronze PawSilver PawGold Paw
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    Yay, that is great and I understand how happy you, among other americans, must be! :3

• Like Like x 2
  3. Starborn

Starborn Wild Alien Witch

Bones:
    Ƀ208.16
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    This is the first time I can say I'm proud of America (and I'm not American)!! :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. TheSolitaryGray

TheSolitaryGray Vaki'ir
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.14
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    It's really refreshing to see my country pull it's head out of it's ass for once.

Of course, it wasn't long before all the Republican candidates chimed in and were all like "This is a blow to our religious freedom!" as though Christianity is the only religion in the country... There are plenty of faiths and even Christian ministers who are okay with and even supportive of gay marriage and I'm glad to see that the Supreme Court decided not to cater to those still stuck in the 1950's.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Marz

Marz A very curious kitty
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ46.46
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Even as a Christian I am overjoyed, everyone deserves to love and to be loved. It's about damn time!

• Like Like x 12
  6. Lost

Lost Wyrmling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ92.35
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    i'm so glad!!!!! my cousins can get married now!!

• Like Like x 3
  7. Saoirse

Saoirse Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ14.33
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I CANNOT express how exited and happy I was when I heard the news. I also thought that it was a joke for a minute, ha. Thank God that it wasn't!

I went to a Pride parade/festival today, and it was one of the most awesome experiences ever. It was an explosion of optimism, positivity and, well, pride which was so, so refreshing with all of the tragedy and unrest that's been going on here in the states. What a wonderful breath of fresh air.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Hibiscus

Hibiscus Hatchling
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ15.02
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Honestly I am indifferent.
    Yes is this an important event to celebrate? Yes. It holds a lot of meaning for many individuals.
    However this is by no means a time to stop, or be a goal to meet. This should've been a basic human right years ago.
    I just worry many will stop fighting after this, being appeased by it. We have to keep working, we can't stop here.

I'm fine with others excitement but I won't join the celebration personally.

• Like Like x 10
  9. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ423.60
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    I'm extremely happy to see that it is legal, but slightly concerned for what the rest of the US will do in response. I've already seen articles where people are demanding a right to bear arms in all states where previous guns may not have been allowed, and apparently pedophiles are trying to ask for rights? A lot of crap... anyway, this is fantastic to have finally happened. Now, the rest of the world needs to pay attention.

• Like Like x 6
  10. TheSolitaryGray

TheSolitaryGray Vaki'ir
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.14
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    This might be a tad off topic, but can I just add that I'm also exceptionally proud of Ireland for legalizing marriage equality by popular vote, and being the first country in the world to do so?

Also, I do have to echo some of the concerns stated by others here. People are going to take this and run right down the slippery slopes with it as justification to legalize just about anything. Does it make sense for them to do so? No. It's comparing apples to oranges in the extreme. Of course, something being stupid and making no sense has never stopped America before.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Saoirse

Saoirse Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ14.33
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Yes! I'm very proud of Ireland, too! They led the world in a step towards equality and set a global standard for human rights in that aspect.

I also do agree with you and @Magic as far as needing to be aware of the backlash that this is going to cause in communities that disagree with the ruling or will try to use it as an excuse to condone wrong acts. There were already protesters lining up at the pride fest that I went to yesterday and I have to say, I was a little nervous at first because a lot of people are so, so against this to the point that rational, logical thought completely goes out the window. Nothing ended up happening, but it was still a dose of reality at the time. I hope that everyone else realizes the risks and the dangers and knows that the legalization of same sex marriage isn't the end, it's just one step forwards and people are going to push back even harder now. A moment of celebration and remembrance for the people who didn't get to see this reality is good, needed and deserved because it took way too much effort to get the government to grant a basic right, but now it's back to the grindstone, if you will.

We should also be paying attention to something called TPP that a lot of people I know are talking about. I need to do some more research about it, but it looks like a bill that has handed companies with overseas monopolies that can't be 100% policed by our government a lot more power as far as our economy goes and basically gives them the power to govern our economic future. This happened alongside equal marriage, but no one really noticed.

• Like Like x 5
  12. ShadowSong

ShadowSong Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ8.00
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    We still have a long way to go to achive equality - but this is a good step in the right direction.
    I'm asexual and aromantic, and thus don't experiece those sorts of attraction, but nonetheless I firmly believe that, A, love is love, regardless of sex or gender, B, it is just as normal for an indivdual to be in a same-sex relationship as it is for someone to be in a differing-sex relationship, and C, if someone has a problem with that, then said someone should just get on with their own miserable, intolerant lives, and leave all the nice people alone. :)

#12 ShadowSong, Jun 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2015
    • Like Like x 7
  13. Draconi kratosus

Draconi kratosus Keeper of the Memory, Dream Interpreter

Bones:
    Ƀ20.97
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    Hooray for everybody who is homosexual in the U.S.

14. Diamond Sky

Diamond Sky Wyrmling

Bones:
    Ƀ253.08
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I'm pretty much numb to the meaning of this. It is interesting to see people being happy about something. It makes me want to believe people are really happy and benefitting from it. But to be completely honest, I don't really care. Give me one good reason why I should. What does this prove? How does it lead to better days or promise change? People are the same.

It also makes me tired, because regardless, we're still struggling to make it, here... I'm also tired because I can't help but wonder if this is timed to serve as a diversion of some kind. It definitely is not enough to restore any amount of trust in the ways of government or society or any real interest in whatever people are up to.

I have experienced and am experiencing too much to possibly be impressed by the government granting of marriage rights, an issue that has been around since I could remember. Now I'm in what I consider to be my final romantic relationship, whether it be broken or hold together, because I can't deal with one more person who cares more for society than for their own wants, needs, or for that matter, me.

As if this sudden common sense judgement could possibly make up for anything or inspire hope in the face of so much pain remaining. It means nothing to me. I believe we rely too much on society and the government to guide us. How many relationships have been broken simply because a person puts more stock into what other people think than what they themselves think? Because a person has to choose some stance on an issue, rather than simply going with what he feels he wants in his personal life?

Jessica Roe

#14 Diamond Sky, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Shilo

Shilo Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Elfen
    I am supper excited. My entire FB friends list looked like a skittles factory.

• Like Like x 5
  16. ASH_Nk

ASH_Nk Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Machinekin
    I think equality is a wonderful thing. I'm glad this got passed.

Now about that Economic Disparity...

• Like Like x 4
  17. Oxalaia

Oxalaia Spinolion
    Staff Member Guardian Dinosaur

Bones:
    Ƀ1,080.90
    Background Key
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    I heard it on the Dutch news. I am happy for the people who fought for this for so long. While it will maybe not make the world a better place it is at least a little step in the right direction in America.

Growing up in the Netherlands this law is not new to me. Instead same sex couples can marry here for a long time and so far I know most Dutch people are okay with same sex marriages since that's good news for one of my stepbrothers who is gay. Anyway it is nice to see that it will be possible eventually in countries where it was first forbidden for same sex couples to marry.