Mars | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Mars

Discussion in 'Science, Math, & Technology' started by Redfang, Oct 8, 2015.

?

Do you think people could ever live on Mars?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    34.8%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maybe later in time

15 vote(s)
    65.2%
  1. Redfang

Redfang Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ4.50
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    So I'm guessing some of you have heard but there is water on Mars! What's all of your opinions/reactions about it? I think its pretty cool even if I'm not that into Space stuff.

2. BirdMonster

BirdMonster Great Wyrm
    DinosaurHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,533.85
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    Astronomy nerd coming through!

Just to sum it all up, every-time they send an expedition, a section will be added to this large base. This certain machine is going to turn the soil and air into oxygen and rocket fuel for a return trip. I don't know for sure but I believe that they might be able to pump oxygen into the atmosphere. However, Mars' atmosphere is nearly gone (hence why the water basically disappeared).
    But until we can have the air breathable on Mars, we can only only live on Mars with suits and bases.

• Like Like x 3
  3. dextro

dextro Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.00
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Humans are one step closer to finding Reaper technology and advancing them by hundreds of years! Then, the First Contact War, and I'll be able to meet my kin!!

4. BirdMonster

BirdMonster Great Wyrm
    DinosaurHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,533.85
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    What is Reaper technology?

5. dextro

dextro Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.00
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Basically, Reapers are giant creatures who come 'round every 50,000 years to wipe out organic life who take advantage of the tech they left behind. If it looks alien, DON'T TOUCH IT.

6. TheSolitaryGray

TheSolitaryGray Vaki'ir
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ28.14
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Yes, I do believe humans can survive on Mars, but to quote the great Harry Seldon "It's possible, just not practical." They would live in fabricated shelters and have to bring all of their oxygen and most of their water with them from Earth, not to mention food and other essentials. Despite what popular science fiction may wish to tell us, we aren't going to be terraforming Mars anytime soon. Once an atmosphere is gone from a planet, it's nearly impossible to restore it. Water would either freeze or evaporate into space, as would any oxygen or carbon dioxide we'd supposedly pump into what little atmosphere is left. There's also the issue of not being able to bring along the necessary equipment to build a sizable enough base to allow for hydroponics, recycling stations, living quarters, exercise equipment, food storage... and any number of other things. There's also the issue of resupplying. With current technology, it takes about eight months to make the one-way trip from Earth to Mars, and it's extremely expensive. They're not going to be able to constantly send more and more supplies, and definitely not in a timely manner. Furthermore, we have no way of getting people off Mars. They'd be stranded forever, or at least until technology has advanced sufficiently to retrieve them, by which time they're sure to be dead. Then, there's also the nasty planet-wide sand storms to contend with. It's just a mess.

If you're thinking about the expedition they mentioned on the news, the one where they were taking volunteers from the general public and wanted to turn the whole thing into a blasted reality show, I wouldn't get my hopes up if I were you. Most scientists give those poor fools a maximum of sixty-some-odd days of survival once they hit Martian soil. It's a doomed mission, with little or no return for the investment. Better to try to set up a base on the Moon. We know we can land there, it's close enough for resupply in a matter of days rather than months, and we can communicate in virtually real-time. Also, the Moon is tidally locked, meaning only one side of the satellite faces Earth at all times. One could put a huge radio telescope on the "dark" side of the Moon and have the best images of deep space anyone could dream of.

Will we get to Mars one day? Probably, but not anytime soon.

• Like Like x 3
  7. MarkusWOLF

MarkusWOLF Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ51.37
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    I watched this documentary once on "life on Mars" and they say there is already life on Mars but they have to live under ground. They have proof, aliens captured walking on the surface and ancient ruins. They think they were like us but war caused the atmosphere to become unstable.

8. Neve VR52

Neve VR52 Vintage Warm
    Staff Member Guardian VIP Machines United!

Solar Flare PhilterBurning PhilterMetalic blueBackground KeyGold VIP - Six Month SubcriptionVoice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ33,902.15
    Primary Identity:
    Machinekin
    I think it's entirely possible in the future that humans could colonize Mars, but it's impractical. Unless we were able to terraform the planet and bring about a breathable atmosphere and liquid water, I don't think it would be sustainable to have a permanent Mars colony. The costs would far outweigh anything we'd gain from that.

Sure, in a far off future where the Earth has gone bad and mankind needs to find a new home, maybe we'll be pushed there, but in that scenario, Mars is already a dead planet. I don't know that I believe that there's already life there. I think it would be known without a doubt already if there was. It's a desolate, inhospitable place that's fun to fantasize about going to, but not really feasible where we're at right now. That's not to say we'll never go to Mars, but the limits of our technology and our biological needs are holding us here for now.

9. Oukami_Klimt

Oukami_Klimt Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ239.46
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :mad:
    I've voted yes. Just because
    a) what exactly is a "later time" than "ever" ? = ) Sure it won't be tomorrow, but I think at some point in "ever" we'll make that happen for sure.
    b) I think to say something is impossible just based on ones current knowledge is quite arrogant as it says "What I know know is the end of the line, there is noting left I could learn" (If I had told you 100 years ago that we'd be chatting now, using something called internet that connects people on different continents you would have said it's impossible. What's different between us now and the humans back then?)

10. Mist Howler

Mist Howler Tofu-Eating Reptilian
    Staff Member Guardian VIP Alien/Spacekin

Blue Shift PhilterSparkling PhilterVoice KeyGold VIP - Six Month Subcription
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,632.91
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    Mood:
    :angel:
    I voted "yes" in the poll. I do feel that humanity will go and colonize Mars.

It may not be immediately, but it will happen!