Mates?

kyro

May 25, 2019
Bones
🦴0.00BN
Pronouns
Neutral
Hey, guys! I haven't really thought about this topic too much because it seems a little... Futuristic for me, but what are your opinions on mates? (What they mean to you, if you already have one, etc.)
I have a current Boyfriend. I don't think he's a therian. but he knows I am. also he knows of my possible DID. and he still cares a lot about me. so Im very happy about that!

TigerAcolyte

Mar 22, 2020
Bones
🦴0.00BN
Pronouns
Mate is just another term for SO to me, albeit a preferable term.  My mate is a dragonkin, so it's fairly easy for us to connect on a deep level.

Naia

*goes fast*
Staff member
Administrator
Sep 10, 2018
Bones
🦴369.52BN
Pronouns
Feminine
My mate is my romantic partner, somebody that I intend on being with until the end of time, and somebody who I will work with and put my time and effort into making this goal a reality. I prefer the term "mate" to partner, girl/boyfriend, significant other, and so forth because it has deeper meaning to me. 

F

Faze

Unverified
I don't exactly use the term "mate" for myself. I tend to use "conjunx endura" and that has only applied to one person so far. I am polyamorous but currently monogamous with my conjunx (despite a small crush I seem to have going on that I currently refuse to act on or even really acknowledge as a crush).

Conjunx endurae are basically the Cybertronian equivalent of spouse. Rare things, too. If something happens, you generally don't get another.  In the More Than Meets The Eye comics, there is said to be a rite. The rite involves 4 acts: intimacy, disclosure of something private, gift giving, and devotion. However, it is uncertain whether it exists in that universe given the context of which the information is shared. 

With all this in mind, my conjunx is Cybertronian as well (he's just more canon than me; he is Pharma) so I think he gets it at least. 

Last edited:

Marc

Apr 4, 2020
Bones
🦴0.02BN
Pronouns
Masculine
 ​

​

I am Partnered. I don't really like the term mate but my partner does call me his Familiar; He's Wiccan/Witch Practitioner. ​

RaSin

Jun 15, 2020
Bones
🦴0.00BN
Pronouns
Neutral
For me a mate is someone that I have to protect at all cost. Some one that I could love yes, but if they don't love me or even want to give me I could learn to accept it but I will always be the first person there for them if they ever need me. They come first and, it's hard for me to say, but my mate will come before my pack sometimes.

Kieran

Jan 26, 2019
Bones
🦴9.25BN
Pronouns
Neutral
I always thought of "mate" as just being the sorta "kin" term for significant other. Interesting to see how many people say a mate can be someone they have feelings for despite not being in a relationship. I never thought of it that way!

I used to call my SO's mates all the time in the past, but stopped after my last relationship. My current bf isn't kin so it would feel kind of weird calling him my "mate", plus, I think the term is just kinda ruined after my last relationship, because we dated for 2 years and we called each other mates the entire time 😕

Dinocanid

Apr 19, 2020
Bones
🦴7.38BN
Pronouns
Masculine
My definition is pretty simple and literal. To me, your mate is your SO/romantic partner. That's in terms of this community (although other communities use it this way too, like the furry community)

Depending on what country you're from, "mates" means just friends (IE: the UK and Australia) and not necessarily someone you're romantically involved with.

SpaceKitty

Jun 13, 2020
Bones
🦴3.02BN
Pronouns
Neutral
My species is bigender.  Our male and female aspects can live in separate bodies if we want to, and we marry our other half.  I know it seems strange to marry yourself, but it's what we do.  Our kind evolved before beings that were only male or female. 

Since we are bigender, we reproduce with ourselves.