Mating/Courtship Rituals | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Mating/Courtship Rituals

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DarkKo, Oct 7, 2016.

1. DarkKo

DarkKo Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ341.81
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    Okay so in my biology class we were discussing how different animals used displays to attract mates and such and I had a hilarious thought.

Can you imagine birdkin people doing elaborate courtship rituals? Like they like someone and to ask them out they dress in a fancy costume and just start dancing and making strange noises.

Thinking about this nearly made me burst out laughing in the middle of class so I just felt like sharing.

Any opinions?

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,138.96
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    That would be so weird lol.
    Especially otters.... sea otters are awful creatures when it comes to mating season. First they play wrestle, which can at times get violent, and lead to minor wounds. The males will bite the female's nose and hold on for dear life. Sometimes the mating is so violent the female will die, and the male will still continue. And male sea otters have even been discovered to try and mate with harbor seals.
    I dunno about you, but I think it's a good thing humans don't mate like sea otters lol
    Sea otters are awful :'(

3. Kerguelen

Kerguelen Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ261.90
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :hushedface:
    Can you imagine humans doing what cormorants do? It would look hilarious.

4. Grey

Grey Doodle Dragon
    Staff Member Guardian Dragon

Unsettling PhilterBold PhilterChibi DragonGold Dragon CoinFerocious Obsidian DragonGold Otherkin Heptagram
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,970.50
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    If humans mated like dragons, then it would be something like "wow, I haven't seen another human in years! Wanna mate?"

• Like Like x 2
  5. Satomi Kitsune

Bones:
    Ƀ345.26
    Primary Identity:
    Kitsune
    I think it would scar a lot of people for life if we all started asking each other out and mating the way our therio-types do... imagine the looks on people's faces. Ohmygod

6. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,138.96
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    People with vastly different theriotypes not understanding the other's mating ritual would be amusing.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Vyktoria

Vyktoria Chrysocyon Cutie
    Staff Member Guardian Habla español

Voice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ1,089.76
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :(
    Maned wolf mates share territory, but stay separate and only come together during mating season (April-November, I believe).

It makes me laugh, because my husband works very long hours and we really only are together for sleep and... ummmm... yeah... :D

8. Xavier

Xavier Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ402.88
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :oldman:
    Demons, well, we're typically rough and like full control of our receivers. Which would technically go along nicely with the BDSM community, but uh.. Well lets just say that we're much rougher than that. ;0;"
    (Sometimes I wonder why Malak stays with me jfc)

9. Thrakeina

Thrakeina Hatchling

Ferocious Green DragonRed DemonVoice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ48.27
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    Haha, same. And if I remember correctly, my clan oddly had a lot of serpentine habits. Look up snake mating balls. That's a whole 'nother brand of crazy (grin)
     Teresa  

10. Xavier

Xavier Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ402.88
    Primary Identity:
    Demonic
    Mood:
    :oldman:
    Sounds fun /)>//0//</)

11. The Unseelie Rose

The Unseelie Rose An angel on scorched wings
    VIP The Celestial Realm

Purple RogueFairy Lights PhilterVoice KeyGold VIP - Six Month Subcription
    Bones:
    Ƀ306.09
    Primary Identity:
    Celestial
    Mood:
    :mad:
    Same with Asher and I. (I'm an fae/Incubus hybrid and my dear Asher is my Formorian prince)
     Julien  

12. Neve VR52

Neve VR52 Vintage Warm
    Staff Member Guardian VIP Machines United!

Metalic blueBackground KeyBurning PhilterGold VIP - Six Month SubcriptionSolar Flare PhilterVoice Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ36,278.21
    Primary Identity:
    Machinekin
    If humans mated like my kintype... they wouldn't reproduce at all, but have to be built by something else. XD

• Like Like x 2
  13. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,138.96
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    All I can think of is the movie Robots x'D

• Like Like x 3
  14. Shezep

Shezep Hatchling
    VIP

Silver VIP - Six Month Subscription
    Bones:
    Ƀ373.76
    Primary Identity:
    Celestial
    Hawk - build a sturdy nest, offer a big meal and show off your aerial dance moves!

My girl friend says this is why she insists on feeding me every time I visit. The way to a hawk's heart is through their stomach. (Neither of my partners are known for their dance moves though. I guess that part is up to me!)

Deity - everything is energy, and energy is everything

Creation is magic. Sometimes business and politics is pleasure. It's nearly impossible to touch someone's soul and not love them at least a little.

15. DarkKo

DarkKo Spawn

Bones:
    Ƀ341.81
    Primary Identity:
    Questioning
    I just remembered that I actually have seen courtship dances. This is a traditional Native American dance called the chicken dance (not the goofy grade school one). I learned about it at an Indigenous even at my school.

16. Cyra

Cyra Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ46.72
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    There is a species of fish that has both sexes and they basically have a penis fight to see which will carry the baby.. That would be.. Something else

17. fellowtraveler

Black Cat
    Bones:
    Ƀ23.05
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    I know I'm a satellite, but I refuse to mate with my partner in any other way.

Speaking of which, I'm imagining how this would work for machinekin and it's not happening. ((spins around 22 degrees per minute)) is this turning you on ; )
     Yuri  

18. Zaphaera

Zaphaera Hatchling
    Cybertronian

Ferocious Alabaster Dragon
    Bones:
    Ƀ207.98
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    I have been trying to get my girlfriend to do a funky bird mating dance for me for ages. XD
    Not really a kin related thing, I don't think, but more so just something goofy.

For my kintype, as a dragon I am extremely aggressive towards any other dragons who ever attempted to enter my territory. When it comes to mating, I would usually fight off or kill any potential suiters who tried to court me. There really isn't much desire to mate in the spirit world though, and its quite a bit different than what it is on this plane.

As Starscream, Cybertronians have a few ways of er.. doing the do. In this life as well though, I was never really interested in partaking that sort of thing, not until after I spark bonded(fused my life force with my partners essentially).

• Like Like x 1
  19. FaerieForged

FaerieForged Great Wyrm
    Dragon

Bones:
    Ƀ5,138.96
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Elves are really boring. We fall in love once, court each other for a bit, get engaged for a year, then get married. We do the do for a few decades/centuries, then we start thinking of having a child and usually only get it on to have more kids (though many Elves rarely had more than two or three children in their life times). Eventually we stopped thinking about it all together and pursued other interests with each other that were not sexual in nature.

Dragons would have dominance displays, both males and females (I refer to gender very loosely, we really didn't regard gender like humans did/do). It usually consisted of crashing horns together, whapping each other with our wings/tails, and biting/scratching. The victors could take their pick of mates (from the ones that were also interested in them) and the losers paired up with other losers. I was never very interested in mating, though I did participate for a few seasons when there was a dragoness I had taken interest in.