Meditation Styles | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Meditation Styles

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by PinkTitanium, Aug 23, 2015.

1. PinkTitanium

PinkTitanium The Fallen Faerie
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ47.76
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    I was curious as to how those of you who practice meditation, get the most from your experience?
    Do you do certain things to get you in "in the zone" so to speak? Or use crystals/candles/incense?
    It's been a while since I've been able to meditate because I've had lots of distractions, I was hoping maybe some your ideas/styles would help me get back in to it.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Mirath

Mirath The Animus Master
    VIP Thoughtform Haven

Background Key
    Bones:
    Ƀ13,263.93
    Primary Identity:
    Fictionkin
    Mood:
    :confounded2:
    I get distracted easily, so I end up using guided meditation. At least then, I have some focus on what I... Need?... To do, what I need to visualise

3. Carnotaurus

Carnotaurus Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.02
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I meditate before going to bed, it helps me clear my mind. I shut the door to my room to block out any unwanted noises. Recently I've been using jungle sounds to help me focus on my kin's ancient world. :) There's a lot of good "playlists" of nature sounds on youtube.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dinocanid

Dinocanid Living matryoshka doll
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ54.45
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I've never been able to successfully do it; i always fall asleep or just end up sitting with my eyes closed for 30 minutes, which is a waste of time for me.
    I have been taught that counting your breath supposedly helps you focus. It makes me more calm, but no results are ever gotten. There are also apps you can get on your phone that include guided meditations and seamless nature sounds.

• Like Like x 3
  5. PinkTitanium

Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ47.76
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    Interesting. I used to try fire meditation focusing on a flame, but that's harder now that I no longer live alone and have a young child. Sometimes the biggest issue is finding the time to do it. So frustrating.

6. LinRae

LinRae Hatchling

Bones:
    Ƀ12.82
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I more meditate to clear my mind and wind down from a day's hecticness, sometimes I use a crystal held in hand as a focus or light incense. Occasionally I get drawn into something where I see stuff in meditation, but not all the time. Usually though.... my cats will interrupt....

7. Nyht Myst

Nyht Myst The Element System
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ138.65
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I meditate for no reason other than getting in touch with a part of me I can't really reach in other means; my mind is too active to use guided meditation or image based methods, so far the only method that works for me is the blank mind method.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BirdMonster

BirdMonster Great Wyrm
    DinosaurHiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1,533.85
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I usually do guided meditation before I sleep and I must admit, I sometimes fall asleep mid mediation. Of course, that results in some weird dreams. I think I should try listening to ambient music like @Carnotaurus said.

• Like Like x 3
  9. PinkTitanium

Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ47.76
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    I always fall asleep if I try before bed too. I don't have cats but I have lots of interuptions. Anyone with children here who might know a way to get meditation in my schedule?

10. AppyHeart

AppyHeart Equus Genus

Bones:
    Ƀ214.41
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    My meditation is something a little different.
    Most people like to meditate in silence, however I find when I am moving I am able to meditate greater.
    Whether it's just doing random movements like Yogaish to full on doing horse jumping courses I find I go into a sort of "auto pilot" and it just makes me feel so much better after words.

Besides those I do meditations for Astral Travel and Lucid dreaming with the help of some youtube videos shared before by someone:

• Like Like x 12
  11. Cayto Ikooko Kan

Cayto Ikooko Kan Otherworldly Wolf-Man
    Elder VIP

WuffyBlue WolfSilver Paw
    Bones:
    Ƀ185.44
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    Mood:
    :relievedface:
    I meditate in a few ways using music, movement, repetitive actions, or the typical sitting meditation style. Each offers something different. I sometimes use crystals but most don't do much for me, I've only encountered three stones that offer any usefulness or perceivable force in them. I also sometimes use incense, typically sage or dragons blood. My most used meditation is something I came up with myself, that for me shuts the mind chatter down and gets me into a great deep state, from which I can do spiritual work etc.

Basically I focus for 10-20 minutes at a time on each of my five physical senses in any order I choose. At the beginning I may say something like "I have nothing else to be thinking, feeling or doing" in my head or aloud to sort of affirm in my mind that it's time to quite down. Though it's not needed. Typically I start with my hearing, focusing all my attention on what I hear and the vibration of my ears. I then do smell, it doesn't matter if there's anything to smell I just focus on that sense. Next focus on the taste in my mouth, then I open my eyes and focus on my sight, even if it's in darkness. Lastly I do touch/bodily sensation. How do the clothes on my body felt against my skin? Is there a current in the room? How strong does my heart beat? What's the temp in the room? Do I feel an energy flow?

All that I do while sitting still in my room or sometimes while out and about. I find that as a result of doing this not only does it take me out of a state of distraction and mind chatter, but it makes me hyper aware of myself and environment. It's the perfect state for starting energy work/spiritual work. And while my senses have always been much stronger than the average person I find that this practice has made them even stronger and keener over time. As a wolf-man I quite like that lol. So anyway, that's my secret weapon for meditation. It may or may not work for others, I'm very sensory based so that's why I came up with this and it works for me.

#11 Cayto Ikooko Kan, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  12. PinkTitanium

Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ47.76
    Primary Identity:
    Fae
    • Like Like x 2
  13. akota

akota Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ2.00
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I really enjoy using smudge sticks while I meditate. I find the smell really therapuetic and natural, without the chemicals that are in candles and stuff. I also like either listening to the sounds outside, or if I'm preparing to shift, I listen to the nature sounds of my kintype's habitat.

• Like Like x 2
  14. kiror

kiror Fuzzy Mirror
    Staff Member Deputy Admin Elder VIP

Bones:
    Ƀ64.65
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    Mood:
    :sleeping:
    This is the meditation technique I use:
    1. Pick a 'kin memory;
    2. Choose what kind of information you want to focus during your search;
    3. Remember it completely;
      1. You already have all details of that 'kin memory in mind:
        • You probably already explored this memory: nothing new is expected to come from this memory fragment.
        • You can skip to topic #4 (Make "cause-consqu...).
      2. You already have most, some, few or almost none details of that 'kin memory in mind:
        1. Choose an searching method:
          • Visit only the "interesting" parts: faster and easier; small results;
          • Visit everything linearly: harder and slower; big results; I do recommend you choosing this one.
        2. Explore every detail the best as you can, without adding meaning (yet);
          • You may find some notorious ideas, feelings, pains, etc...
          • Don't judge, accept or refuse it: just be conscious where you can find it again;
        3. If you feel you're getting a headache, make a pause (but don't forget where you stopped);
        4. I'm assuming you explored everything. It's time for a "break": 30 minutes or more;
    4. Make "cause-consequence" connections between every event you remembered;
      • Just make sure everything you remembered is in your line of reasoning;
      • Generally the "notorious" ideas, feelings, pains, etc are the clues you have for the unanswered questions about your "kin-self";
      • Unconsciously you will answer the questions you have about your "kin-self";
    5. Try finding the answers to the questions about your "kin-self" that you answered unconsciously while you were in the last task;
    6. The end? Have you answered the questions you had in mind?
      • Yes: The end :).
      • No: Pick another 'kin memory and repeat from the beginning;
      • But I don't have more 'kin memories: Sorry, I can't help you with this method :(.
      • But I don't have more time: continue later (from the beginning).

I hope that this helps someone,
    kiror

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Hopper

Hopper Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.06
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    For those of you having trouble with meditating, don't give up. I used to have a lot of difficulties with it as well. I was so tense and uncomfortable the entire time, and I could absolutely not sit or lie still. However, I found that really I just needed to change what I focused on. Previously, I was trying to focus exclusively on my breathing, but this made me extremely aware of all my body sensations to a very uncomfortable level. I switched to using a mantra and have had much better results. I like to sit up against something to support my back while I meditate as well. Sitting up really helps prevent falling asleep as well. The trick is to not lean your head against something, that way you will catch yourself if you start of fall asleep. Anyway, if anyone is trying to meditate and it is not working for them, just try a different technique.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Hirshama

Hirshama Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    @JodiDoe I have 2 little children so I know the frustration here :p I used to meditate daily before children, sometimes several times a day. It took awhile but Im back to a daily or every other day meditation schedule. My youngest is 1.5 years and goes to bed around 8pm. I have found that while I'm rocking ("dancing") him to sleep with music, I can meditate then or once I lie him down in his toddler bed. I will sometimes sit in the corner of his room, close my eyes and meditate while he sleeps. If I find that its too noisy in the main area of our living space, I will then meditate in the bath or right before sleep. With children, those really are the only times I can :/ However I prefer night to meditate anyways.

I can meditate in any position : lying down, sitting or standing. Standing I usually only do if I'm already feeling energized or wound up. I find that with standing it helps you feel a bit more grounded and if you add subtle movements like gently swaying, it helps to unwind. I usually prefer soft music playing: either of a celtic influence or shaman (soft drumming, chanting and singing bowls). I love to use candles and incense but because of the children, both are rare now. Bath meditations can sometimes be a bit harder, but I've gotten some great and intense "lessons" from guides while soaking and listening to soft music in the tub. For those I would suggest turning off the lights (or dimming them) and using candles if you can. (In my case I have to leave the lights on, but then I usually close my eyes) If you are feeling particularly stressed or achy, a bit of Epson salt in the bathwater helps removes toxins from the body. :)

17. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p
    Staff Member Administrator

Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relaxed:
    I generally meditate by visualizing myself slowly shifting into one of my theriotypes (the vast majority of the time, being the wolf, occasionally fox) starting with my feet, and slowly working my way up my body, and eventually visualizing the structural changes on a higher level. I then manipulate this concept within my mind, to 'feel' as if I am my theriotype walking in a forest or other environment. I find that certain music really helps me with this process, the song "The Mummers' Dance" never fails to 'put me in the mood' for this process.

• Like Like x 4
  18. dextro

dextro Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.00
    Primary Identity:
    Alien
    There are many different types of meditation and what constitutes as meditation in various cultures. What might not seem to be meditation to one person might be the way they find inner piece and achieve a deeper connection with their consciousness.. Personally, my ideal meditation comes from the style of Raja Yoga. Commonly, it's the westerner's view of yoga. Stretching and Asanas (poses.) It personally makes me feel close to my kintype, which is known for being flexible. :p

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sekhmet

Sekhmet Hatchling
    VIP Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ0.00
    Primary Identity:
    Other
    I meditate a lot, though I only rarely set aside time for it. If I notice that I need to be calm, I step back from the issue, focus on my breath, and that brings me to a calmer state of mind. For me, it's about clearing my head. I sometimes slowly walk back and forth while waiting for the bus. Any time I have where I don't need to focus on something specific, I try to get into that clear headspace.

When I sit down with the intention to meditate, I do whatever calls to me in the moment. I like holding the tail that represents my spirit guide, or laying down with it on my chest (the tip at my bellybutton and the top at my collarbone). I enjoy guided meditations. If I suddenly feel that something might work, I generally try it.

20. SilentSynthesis

Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ11.72
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I sit in the shower and hum like an idiot. Freezing water sometimes helps clear the mind!