Implemented - Mentor system | Kinmunity: Otherkin Community

Implemented Mentor system

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Skylark, Jan 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skylark

Skylark Wild
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ36.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    This is kind of a big thing, and I'm definitely looking for feedback and ideas to see what people are and aren't down for.

Personally, I find the idea of a mentoring system comforting and pleasant. I think it would be a great way to kickstart relationships with other site members that keep people coming back to Kinmunity after their first visit. Having that kind of arrangement can also possibly help newer people feel less anxious about messing up. However, as was commented on my original thread in New Frontiers, there are some people who can't or don't want to have such a formal title. I'm not really sure if enough people are interested in being mentors for this to be a formal system. I see benefit in it, though.

My vision right now is this: a stickied thread in New Frontiers where newbies interested in finding a mentor can either simply respond, or fill out a short form/questionnaire with what they're looking for in a mentor. Then, anyone interested in taking up their offer can respond on that thread, or message them? That part I'm not too sure about.

Thoughts?

• Like Like x 9
  2. Catwan

Catwan Confused Vampiric Kitten
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ3.07
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I would actually love being a mentor to new members.

• Like Like x 3
  3. AshenFall

AshenFall Danger Floof
    Staff Member Guardian Elder VIP Thoughtform Haven

Direflame PhilterBold PhilterMidnight Neon PhilterFerocious Orange Dragon
    Bones:
    Ƀ82.06
    Primary Identity:
    Polykin
    Mood:
    :confused2:
    I think that sounds a good idea. I for one wouldn't mind giving some of my time to mentor new and unsure kin.

• Like Like x 7
  4. Seraphyna

Seraphyna Curmudgeony Shlion
    Elder

Theta DeltaSharkFemale Lion
    Bones:
    Ƀ3,739.52
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :oldwoman:
    The one thing I'm wary of is that many people who will happily assume the role of 'mentor' are either power hungry, want people to accept their beliefs and not help them explore their own, etc. Maybe the very word just irks me because I've seen so many "mentors" who are abusive of that responsibility over the years.

• Like Like x 9
  5. Skylark

Skylark Wild
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ36.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I was thinking about this, yeah. I've been turning over possibilities of certain standards users must meet before they can be considered mentors, especially with new 'kin. My original proposal was almost to have the stickied thread be for mentor applications, as in users who want to be mentors fill out a form/reply, etc.

Maybe they need to have earned one of the Likeable trophies, to show that they've gone a certain amount of time without warnings? Some sort of prerequisite?

• Like Like x 4
  6. Seraphyna

Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ3,739.52
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    My feeling towards this would be that they'd have to have Elder status among any other prerequisites. The last thing the community needs, especially in the age of Tumblr, is a blind leading the blind scenario.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Skylark

Skylark Wild
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ36.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    This is actually a really good idea. But are enough Elders prepared to sustain the system?

8. Seraphyna

Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ3,739.52
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    Good question, but I'm not sure how much of a "system" there will be. I'd wager that most of the "newbies" that have been flooding in will go quiet after a while once this Tumblr drama simmers down.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p
    Staff Member Administrator

Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relaxed:
    A formal mentor system would require a level of dedication to ensure the system is not abused or misused. Because mentoring is of a personal matter, this would require steps that we feel violate user privacy on Kinmunity. Rather than using a formal system, I instead propose that Elders who wish to be 'mentors' make themselves available to users who have questions.

• Like Like x 9
  10. Skylark

Skylark Wild
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ36.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    That sounds like a plan. Would there be any change then, or do you think we'll just leave it how it is, with people stepping in when questions are asked?

11. Magic

Magic Netflix-blob
    Staff Member Guardian

Bones:
    Ƀ400.30
    Primary Identity:
    Polymorph
    I think having Elders be able to help is a perfect idea. Maybe change could happen to make it more strongly known that they are here to help?

• Like Like x 3
  12. Enby Duck

Enby Duck Spawn
    Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ1.02
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    I've actually been having interest of having a mentor (when I mean by mentor isn't
    24/7 but rather someone who I can rely on of correcting me and teaching me 'kin
    related things,) for quite awhile. Perhaps instead those who're dedicated to help
    /seeking 'ment-ees' should have a ribbon or badge to alert those who're in need of
    help and guidance.
    However just as mentioned above, this should be only a feature (if taken upon
    suggestion,) exclusive to those who're elders, not just some random person.
    Yet pretty sure that itself is self-explanatory. Well hope to see some people willing
    to help us, especially considering I'm still searching myself. This would also be a
    perfect way for us a community to bond more and show that we're definitely more
    of an inviting group to run up and ask to for help.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Seraphyna

Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ3,739.52
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    Maybe we could add some sort of badge or change the color of the banner for elders who are willing to "mentor"?

• Like Like x 7
  14. Spiritual Hunters

Spiritual Hunters The Cajun System
    Elder Plural Life

Bones:
    Ƀ128.35
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    I think this would be a good way of handling it. It could be an option in your profile that you can select and if you can't change the color of the badge, you can get a little mention in the miniprofile maybe under Inventory.

~Jessie

• Like Like x 3
  15. Skylark

Skylark Wild
    Elder Hiatus

Bones:
    Ƀ36.88
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Maybe instead of changing color, it could have a small decoration? That could be in Unicode, even - it could just have a star or something next to "Elder".

16. Allos

Allos Muddy Dragon of the Swamp
    Staff Member Community Manager Elder VIP Swamp Lurker

Midnight Neon PhilterBold PhilterMud PhilterVanishing PhilterGold VIP - One Year SubscriptionBronze Dragon CoinSilver Dragon CoinGold Dragon CoinBlack DragonFerocious Obsidian DragonGrey Raptor
    Bones:
    Ƀ11.25
    Primary Identity:
    Draconic
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I think this sounds like a good idea overall, I wouldn't mind doing this.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Hyphero

Hyphero Wisp of Mystery
    VIP Swamp Lurker

MegalixirGold Fae CoinBlue AngelBrimstone DemonBlue GriffinWill'o'wisp
    Bones:
    Ƀ19,573.62
    Primary Identity:
    Spirit
    I think this is a good idea. If you want mentors to be marked, you can add "Willing to mentor." on their miniprofile as @Spiritual Hunters said. A badge isn't the best idea, and changing the Elder banner would effectively allow staff members to be invisible mentors.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Farkas

Farkas Pseudo-Son of Awesome, The Wolf on Stilts
    Elder VIP 100% Gamer Blood

Unsettling PhilterAbstract PhilterBold PhilterFarkleSparkle PaladinVoice KeyGold Fox CoinWuffyRainbow KitsuneBlue Wolf
    Bones:
    Ƀ52,048.68
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    Mood:
    :neutral2:
    I like the idea of having elders be mentors. I would love to be a mentor myself, but I'm not an elder :/ Something to work towards now, I suppose :3

• Like Like x 2
  19. Shiro

Shiro The foxy wolfeh ;p
    Staff Member Administrator

Standard Media KeyWuffyChibi WolfGold Theta DeltaSilver Werewolf CoinGold Wolf CoinBrimstone DemonRed KitsuneBarghestWonder WolfChibi FoxGold PawBronze Fox Coin
    Bones:
    Ƀ38,278.36
    Primary Identity:
    Therian/Were
    Mood:
    :relaxed:
    I was thinking of using the social groups for this. I'd start an official group and the staff would moderate join requests. This would allow a mentor title, as well as allow an opt-in system for elders who are actually interested in mentoring. Thoughts?

• Like Like x 6
  20. House of Chimeras

House of Chimeras Book-loving Historians
    Elder

Bones:
    Ƀ527.76
    Primary Identity:
    Multiple System
    We would be happy to help new members due to us being around the community for so many years plus we have knowledge (especially history knowledge) of various otherkin communities and knowledge around plurality however we don't have Elder status (yet, or if ever). So I guess we can't help out in this formally. However in that case, we're always happy to give a massive amount of links, sources, lists of websites, and information on the history of various communities (with citation).

- Z (male, snowy owl)

#20 House of Chimeras, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.